Editors' Picks: Healthy Recipes For New Moms
When it comes to favorite recipes, we've got a lot. Here are some healthy ones that are pretty up there on our list:
Southwest Breakfast Scramble
Ingredients (for 1 serving):
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup of diced red onions
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 egg (omega-3 organic egg, if possible)
1/4 crumbled extra-firm tofu, drained and patted as dry as possible with paper towels
1/4 cup shredded salsa
2 tablespoonsof shredded organic low-fat cheddar cheese
1/3 cup black beans, rinsed, and drained
1/8 teaspoon cumin
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Salt, to taste
How to prepare:
1. Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper and saute for 5-6 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
2. In medium sized bowl, whisk the egg, tofu, salsa, and cheddar together. Add in the black beans, cumin, pinch of cayenne, and salt to taste.
3. Pour the egg and bean mixture over the sauteed vegetables. Scramble over medium-high heat until eggs are cooked through.
Recipe by: Tracey Mallett, fitness expert and author. Get more great recipes from Tracey in her book Super Fit Mama: Stay Fit During Pregnancy and Get Your Body Back after Baby.
Roasted Vegetable Wraps with Garlic and Mayonnaise
Spicy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Lemony Zucchini and Basil Quinoa Pilaf with Chicken
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups quinoa, dry toasted and rinsed
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
2 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
Dash salt and pepper
2 zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1 cup basil leaves, torn up
2 lemons, juiced
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup slivered raw almonds
How to prepare:
1. Sauté the onions and garlic in extra virgin olive oil in a medium sized pot. Add quinoa, chicken, a pinch or salt, pepper and broth.
2. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low.
3. After 15 minutes remove lid and stir in zucchini, lemon juice, almonds and 3/4 of the basil.
4. Turn heat off and replace lid for two minutes.
5. Finish with the remaining basil and Parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe by: Domenica Catelli, chef, mom, and author of Mom-a-licious: Fresh, fast, fun food for the hot mama in you! Get more great recipes from Domenica at BeMomalicious.com.