Q&A: Is It Safe To Use Nail Polish Remover While Pregnant?
Is it safe to use nail polish remover while pregnant?
In a word, yes. Go get your nails done. Or un-done. There are no known risks. However, health experts don’t recommend _constant _exposure to the chemicals involved in manicures (there’s acetone in the remover and toluene in the nail polish). So if you work in a nail salon and experience major headaches on a daily basis, you may be suffering from chronic exposure to toxins. And when toxins get in the bloodstream, it’s important to know you’re at risk for a miscarriage.
The bottom line: A self-manicure or a trip to the salon every few weeks should be fine, but make sure the place is well-ventilated. You won’t get poisoning, but inhaling those fumes might make you nauseous, since you’re more sensitive to smells now.
Without a ton of conclusive evidence, nausea from fumes is about your biggest risk. That said, pregnant women should always be aware of other chemicals and toxic substances like cleaning solvents, lead, mercury, pesticides, and paint. The March of Dimes website reports that we still don’t know the cause of about 70 percent of birth defects.