Top Car Seat Safety Tips
This is a sponsored blog post written by Graco[®], the world’s best known and most trusted baby products company.
Graco is committed to helping keep kids safe and promoting the proper use of their products.In honor of National Child Passenger Safety Month, Graco is asking caregivers to pledge to “Buckle Up for Safety.” Take the Pledge on Facebook and invite friends to join in too. You’ll commit to check the installation of your car seats and ensure all passengers riding in your car are properly restrained. During the month of September, Graco will donate $1 to Safe Kids Worldwide for every Buckle Up for Safety pledge made, up to $10,000.
Be your child’s hero and make sure your child is restrained in the right car seat. The “best” car seat is:
- One that fits your child (age, weight, height, physical development and maturity level)
- One that fits your vehicle (size as well as direction and location of installation)
- One that is used correctly every time.
How can you make sure your baby is secure and safe when you’re out on the road?
1. Install your car seat correctly. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that up to 75 percent of car seats are not properly installed. Want to make sure your car seat is installed correctly? Learn how with these helpful installation videos. If you want the help of an expert, find a certified Child Passenger Safety Technician in your area. Make sure baby is properly secured in a 5-point harness.
- Harness Height: For a rear-facing car seat, use the harness slots AT or BELOW the child’s shoulders. For forward-facing car seat, use the harness slots AT or ABOVE the child’s shoulders.
- Chest Clip: Place the harness chest clip at armpit level.
- Pinch Test: Tighten the harness straps snugly. If you can pinch the harness strap at the child’s shoulders, the straps are too loose.
2. Buy a seat made for baby. The Graco SnugRide® Click Connect™ 40 Infant Car Seat is the only newborn to 2-year infant car seat that provides comfort and protection for infants from 4 to 40 pounds. The 8-position, adjustable base grows with baby and offers the most in leg room. The Simply Safe Adjust™ Harness allows you to adjust and readjust (with one hand) as baby grows. It also comes equipped with Click Connect™ technology that provides a one-step secure attachment to all Graco Click Connect strollers. It’s been rigorously crash tested as well as side-impact tested to meet or exceed US safety standards The easy-to-read level indicator helps eliminate guesswork from the installation process so you can feel confident your baby is secured and the 5-point front-adjust harness makes getting into and out of the car a breeze.