Still haven't decided on the perfect Halloween costume for baby? This DIY Peacock Baby costume from message board user EmpireMomof3 is beautiful, creative and budget-friendly (total cost is about $15!).
"I decided to make this costume because I wanted something unique that would stand out from the crowd," she says. "Something that would make people 'Ohh' and 'Ahh'!"
Before you get started, you will need:
- Black, brown, teal and sparkly royal blue tulle (we found lots of options at Michael's)
- 3/4 inch elastic band
- 3/4 inch elastic headband
- Feathers (EmpireMomof3 used real feathers that were gifted to her from a zoo, but we found some at Amazon and Save-On-Crafts.com)
- Royal blue ribbon
- The costume goes well with a royal blue shirt, black leggings and black shoes
How to make the costume:
- EmpireMomof3 used the ["no-sew tutu" technique](
""no-sew tutu" technique") to create the skirt with black, brown, teal and sparkly royal blue tulle tied onto a 3/4 inch elastic. Measure the elastic around the waist for sizing, then tie or sew the ends together. To make things easier and faster, the tulle can be wrapped around a book and cut on one end to make even strips.
- Tie the tulle strips to the elastic. Once finished, taper the sides with scissors so they are long in the back and short in the front.
- Using hot glue, attach the peacock feathers to the royal blue ribbon, then tie the ribbon around the elastic. This is the trickiest part of the costume: Make sure the feathers are spread evenly along the tail area (you might try to lay them out before gluing).
- Finally, hot glue more peacock feathers to the headband.
Will you make this peacock costume for baby?