Editors' Picks: Healthy Recipes for New Moms
March 2, 2017
When it comes to favorite recipes, we’ve got a lot. Here are some healthy ones that are pretty up there on our list:
Southwest Breakfast Scramble
*Ingredients (for 1 serving):
* 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup of diced red onions
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 egg (omega-3 organic egg, if possible)
1/4 crumbled extra-firm tofu, drained and patted as dry as possible with paper towels
1/4 cup shredded salsa
2 tablespoonsof shredded organic low-fat cheddar cheese
1/3 cup black beans, rinsed, and drained
1/8 teaspoon cumin
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Salt, to taste
How to prepare:
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper and saute for 5-6 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- In medium sized bowl, whisk the egg, tofu, salsa, and cheddar together. Add in the black beans, cumin, pinch of cayenne, and salt to taste.
- Pour the egg and bean mixture over the sauteed vegetables. Scramble over medium-high heat until eggs are cooked through.
Recipe by: Tracey Mallett, fitness expert and author. Get more great recipes from Tracey in her book _ Super Fit Mama: Stay Fit During Pregnancy and Get Your Body Back after Baby_.
Roasted Vegetable Wraps with Garlic and Mayonnaise**
Spicy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
**Lemony Zucchini and Basil Quinoa Pilaf with Chicken
**2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups quinoa, dry toasted and rinsed
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
2 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
Dash salt and pepper
2 zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1 cup basil leaves, torn up
2 lemons, juiced
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup slivered raw almonds
How to prepare:
- Sauté the onions and garlic in extra virgin olive oil in a medium sized pot. Add quinoa, chicken, a pinch or salt, pepper and broth.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low.
- After 15 minutes remove lid and stir in zucchini, lemon juice, almonds and 3/4 of the basil.
- Turn heat off and replace lid for two minutes.
- Finish with the remaining basil and Parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe by: Domenica Catelli, chef, mom, and author of Mom-a-licious: Fresh, fast, fun food for the hot mama in you_! _Get more great recipes from Domenica at BeMomalicious.com.