We’re not going to sugarcoat it: Your first days at home with baby are bound to be both completely exhausting and exhilarating—often at the same time. After all, you’re not only navigating feedings and diaper changes, but your own emotional and physical changes too. Since life is funnier when told in GIFs, we highlighted a few moments you may experience in that whirlwind first week, from learning to decipher baby’s different cries to encountering uncomfortable postdelivery symptoms, like hemorrhoids. With immediate soothing relief, you’ll be able to focus on caring for yourself and your new human addition, instead of well, what’s going on down there.
1.Your heart will melt when those tiny fingers curl around yours.
2. You’ll learn to decode baby’s cries: Just because the wails sound the same, doesn’t mean she wants the same thing.
3. You’ll take pride in your new shower schedule—dry shampoo FTW.
4. You’ll finally be able to drink all the coffee.
5. You’ll discover going to the restroom isn’t the relief it once was.
6. You’ll quickly realize your answer to every offer of help—diaper changes, laundry loads and food delivery—is always the same.
7. You’ll be super-protective when guests come over and try to hold your little one.
8. You may be a little less patient with your partner.
9. But so thankful when they offer to watch baby and give you a moment to yourself.
10. You’ll look in the mirror expecting that bump to be gone—even though you know that’s not how it works.
11. You’ll wonder how other mammals make feeding look so easy.
12. You’ll wear the same sweats for days (and enjoy every second of it).
13. You’ll realize you’ve never loved anyone or anything quite this much.