The Best Toddler Nap Mats for Preschool, Sleepovers and More
Any parent knows that a nap is a crucial part of a toddler’s day. Before the age of 5, children need between 11 and 14 hours of sleep in a 24-hour period, so it’s important they feel safe and comfortable falling asleep in a place outside of their own bed at home—especially when they’re at day care, on playdates, at Grandma’s house or even on family vacations. And let’s be honest: The last thing you need at preschool pick-up is a grouchy, sleep-deprived tot. That’s where a toddler nap mat comes in handy.
Kids’ nap mats are normally suitable for children ages 2 to 5. But before you buy one for your tired tyke, there are a few things to consider—including different types of sleeping mats, distinguishing features and frequency of use. Keep reading to learn some important factors to consider when searching for the best nap mat—plus, browse a few of our favorite styles on the market right now.
There are several different types of toddler nap mats to choose from. You’ll want to find one that accommodates your child’s needs and preferences.
• Roll-up toddler nap mats. Roll-up nap mats tend to be the most popular; they’re portable and often feature nifty handles for carrying. Some options come with built-in covers and blankets, others are simply undressed mats you can roll.
• Stackable toddler nap mats. Stackable mats fold into three or four sections and can be stowed away, making them a good option for preschool. One possible downside is that they tend to be a little bulkier and may not be as travel-friendly as other options. These are typically made of vinyl and are easy to wipe clean, but they may not come with bedding.
• Toddler nap cots. Nap cots usually have hard frames, a woven middle and legs that raise it up off the ground. Most options aren’t portable and don’t include bedding, although you can always buy a nap cot with a mat and bedding to create a cozier sleep spot for your little one.
In addition to paying attention to the different types of kids’ mats available, you’ll also want to consider a few other details before making a purchase:
• Comfort. Padding and thickness are key factors to consider when choosing a toddler nap mat. Ask yourself if your child will be comfortable using the nap mat on the floor, or if they may need additional bedding and padding. Kids that like to be extra-cozy may appreciate a memory-foam nap mat or one with a built-in pillow, whereas some tots will be happy to nod off on a simple vinyl mat.
• Cleanliness. Is your chosen nap mat waterproof and easy to clean? If your tot will be getting good use out of their nap mat, you’ll want to make sure it’s one you can clean without fuss. (Yep, accidents can happen even after initial potty training.) While some toddler nap mats are machine washable, others should only be wiped clean.
• Convenience. Pick a sleep mat that best suits your family’s needs. If you travel a lot, look for styles that are easy to roll-up and store with a handle for easy transportation. Alternatively, if the nap mat is going to stay in one place, you could opt for a foldable style that’s less portable.
To help you find the best toddler nap mat for your unique needs, we’ve rounded up some of our favorite boys’ and girls’ sleep mats below. Whether you’re looking for a plush all-in-one option or a basic stackable style, here, you’ll find a toddler nap mat to suit your lifestyle and budget.
Wildkin original nap mat with pillow
A trusted brand when it comes to toddler nap mats, Wildkin offers a roll-up option made from a soft blend of materials, plus an attached blanket lined with 100 percent cotton flannel for optimal coziness. This kids’ nap mat also features a cute dinosaur print and a nifty carry handle, (and, yes, it’s machine-washable).
Buy it: $48, Amazon.com
Stephen Joseph rainbow nap mat
Stephen Joseph makes kids’ nap mats with the most adorable prints. This roll-up nap mat features a fun and colorful rainbow pattern, and is made of polyester with 100 percent cotton filling for a super-soft and fuzzy feel. Not only is it machine washable, it also includes an easy-to-carry shoulder strap and a front pocket that’s perfect for storing your kids’ comfort blanket.
Buy it: $49, Amazon.com
KinderMat kids’ rest mat
KinderMats is a brand that’s been in the toddler nap mat industry for over 50 years. Their stackable nap mats use tri-fold technology to keep the floor side separate from the resting side. The mats also include dense foam with heat-sealed technology to keep liquid out and prevent the growth of bacteria. Plus, you can clean them with a gentle wipe or with warm water and soap. You’ll want to add bedding to create a cozier feel, but at only $10, this is one of the most affordable sleeping mats out there.
Buy it: $10, Target.com
Lovevery organic nap mat
We’re big fans of this toddler sleeping mat by Lovevery. Made from 100 percent Oeko-Tex certified cotton, this comfy set includes a mat, blanket and pillow with custom buckles designed to help little hands roll it, store it and carry it all on their own.
Buy it: $80, Lovevery.com
Lambs & Ivy pink toddler nap mat
Naptime just got a whole lot cuter with this super-soft unicorn nap mat and pillow set. Not only is it made of a soft cotton and polyester blend, it’s also easy to roll up and fasten. Plus, it comes with a carrying handle. There’s also a label for your child’s name to avoid any mix-ups at day cares or playdates.
Buy it: $33, Walmart.com
Urban Infant bulkie kids all-purpose nap mat
This toddler nap mat is a real game-changer. It has a cushy, quilted base, a flannel-lined blanket and a flip-up pillow, which allows you to use it for kids up to the age of 7. The best part? When naptime is over, simply fold it up to convert it into a child-sized backpack.
Buy it: $60, Amazon.com
Disney Mickey Mouse easy-fold toddler nap mat
Still searching for a super-cozy toddler sleeping mat? Check out this pick from Disney. It’s extra-wide, extra-long and extra-padded for supreme comfort, whether your kid is at preschool, a sleepover or on an overnight trip. Other features include an attached standard-size pillow case, an easy-fold design and a travel loop.
Buy it: $29, buybuyBABY.com
Olive Kids under construction nap mat in yellow
The best nap mats are often ones that can be used in versatile settings. This one from Olive Kids is made of a soft, breathable cotton-polyester blend, and comes with a cozy flannel blanket and removable pillow. Plus, it’s easy to roll-up and features handy carry straps.
Buy it: $46, buybuyBABY.com
Pottery Barn Kids Mackenzie unicorn parade backpack, hot & cold container, nap mat bundle
Personalized nap mats can make for a sweet and functional gift for any occasion. We like this bundle from Pottery Barn Kids, which comes with a sleep mat, backpack and lunchbox. The mat features a cute unicorn print, and the material is Oeko-Tex certified, meaning it’s free from over 300 harmful substances. Each item can be personalized with a kid’s name or monogram. And, when you want to clean it, just throw it in the wash and it’ll be as good as new.
Buy it: Starting from $62, PotteryBarnKids.com
My First Nap Mat memory foam nap mat pad
When it comes to finding the best kids’ nap mat, comfort is key. This all-in-one nap mat with pillow is made from a thick memory foam material, filled with a cooling gel foam that absorbs pressure and channels heat away, helping to keep your little bug snug. Bonus: This mat is hypoallergenic and comes with a removable cover that’s machine-washable.
Buy it: $35, Walmart.com