The Best Toddler Nap Mats for Preschool, Sleepovers and More
Any parent knows that a nap is a crucial part of a toddler’s day. Before the age of 5, children need between 11 and 14 hours of sleep per day, so it’s important they feel safe and comfortable falling asleep in a place outside of their own bed—especially when they’re at day care, on playdates, at Grandma’s house or even on family vacations. And let’s be honest: The last thing you need at preschool pick-up is a grouchy, sleep-deprived tot. That’s where a toddler nap mat comes in handy.
Kids’ nap mats are normally suitable for children ages 2 to 5. But before you buy one for your tired tyke, there are a few things to consider—including different types of sleeping mats, distinguishing features and frequency of use. Keep reading to learn some important factors to consider when searching for the best nap mat—plus, browse a few of our favorite styles on the market right now.
As a parent, making sure your child is safe and secure sleeping somewhere that isn’t their own bed can prove downright nightmarish. But your investing in a toddler nap mat is a great way to mitigate the stress and anxiety they may feel napping somewhere new by providing a comfortable, personalized and dedicated sleeping surface for them to snuggle into for a spell. Our goal is to do the bulk of the shopping research, so you don’t have to spend hours searching online (and there are lots of reputable nap mats out there, just sayin’!). We do this by cross-referencing a list of characteristics like comfortability, hygiene and ease-to-clean and overall convenience alongside other considerations like types of toddler mats and modes of use (on the floor, in a cot, etc.). We also read user reviews, determine how each of our favorite toddler nap mats stacks up to the rest and how they work/ed for real-life families and don’t consider anything with less than an average four-star rating.
Editorial integrity is at the heart of everything we publish. Read about how The Bump develops and reviews all articles, including product reviews.
To help you find the best toddler nap mat to suit your little daydreamer’s nap prerequisites, we’ve rounded up some of our favorite preschool and daycare nap mats below. Whether you’re looking for basic stackable style or a plush all-in-one option, here, you’ll find a toddler nap mat to suit your lifestyle and budget.
A trusted brand when it comes to toddler nap mats (you can find these all-star nappers everywhere), Wildkin offers a roll-up option made from a soft blend of materials, plus an attached blanket lined with 100 percent cotton flannel for optimal coziness. This kids’ nap mat comes in countless colorful prints—the llamas are absolutely adorable—with a nifty carry handle (and, yes, it’s machine-washable).
Dimensions: 50" (L) x 20" (W); 30" (width of blanket) | Material: Polyester/cotton | Care instructions: Spot or wipe clean
- BPA and phthalate-free
- Easy-to-personalize/label pocket
- Coordinates with other Wildkin gear
- Extremely durable
- May pill after washing, some parents say
When it comes to finding the best kids’ nap mat, comfort is key. This all-in-one nap mat with a pillow is made from a thick memory foam material, filled with a cooling gel foam that absorbs pressure and channels heat away, keeping your little one’s head and neck well aligned, while also limiting a buildup of sweat. Bonus: This mat is hypoallergenic and comes with a removable, machine-washable cover.
Dimensions: 41" (L) x 21" (W) | Material: Memory foam | Care instructions: Machine wash cover on gentle
- Lightweight with easy-to-carry handle
- Suitable for toddlers with allergies
- Pillow features soft velour microfiber cover
- Zipper is flimsy, some parents say
- No blanket
We’re big fans of this toddler sleeping mat by Lovevery. Made from 100 percent OEKO-TEX certified cotton, this comfy set includes a mat, blanket and pillow with custom buckles designed to help little hands roll it, store it and carry it all on their own.
Dimensions: 55" (L) x 20.5" (W) | Material: 100% organic cotton (outer); polyester (filling) | Care instructions: Machine wash cold, air dry
- Suitable for toddlers from 18 months
- Bright unisex print/pattern
- Carbon neutral shipping
- Free from harmful substances
- Some parents say it could be thicker
KinderMats is a brand that’s made quite a name for itself in the toddler nap mat game over the last 50 years. Their stackable nap mats use tri-fold technology to keep the floor side separate from the resting side (for germ-anxious parents, like myself, this is huge). The mats also include dense foam with heat-sealed technology to keep liquids out and prevent the growth of bacteria. Plus, you can clean them with a gentle wipe or with warm water and soap. While most stackable mats come without bedding, this bundle includes a fitted sheet decorated with friendly woodland critters.
Dimensions: 42" (L) x 18" (W) x 1.5" (H) | Material: Foam/vinyl | Care instructions: Spot clean
- Made in the USA
- CertiPUR-US certified foam
- No pillow
- Sheet/cover bundles are sold separately
Naptime just got a whole lot cuter with this super-soft toddler nap mat, dot minky blanket and pillow set. With its captivating and original designs (the inky black-and-white and colored illustrations look straight out of a children’s story or paint-by-the-numbers book), your little one's imagination and dreamscapes will be sparked. This all-in-one nap mat features a padded bottom, a soft poly minky blanket and a removable pillow insert, ensuring your love bug’s utmost comfort. You can even go with the extra-long version if your kiddo is taller.
Dimensions: 43" (L) x 21" (W); 33" (width of blanket) | Material: 100% cotton (outer); 100% polyester (fill) | Care instructions: Machine wash cold, tumble dry low
- Built-in name tag
- Pillow folds down for smaller sleepers
- Some parents say regular length is short
- Fewer unisex prints
Still searching for a super-cozy toddler sleeping mat? Check out this pick featuring a blue cape-wearing Daniel Tiger soaring in the sky. Parents rave about how well this mat fits into the cots their little ones use at daycare. And with its lightweight, breathable construction, naptime is never too restrictive or sweaty. Other features include an easy-fold design and a travel loop to make school days, sleepovers and even overnight stays a cinch to pack for. And if your tyke isn't the biggest Daniel Tiger fan, they can still find other friendly characters on offer, from Blaze and Bluey to Cookie Monster and the CoComelon crew.
Dimensions: 46" (L) x 20" (W); 34" (width of blanket) | Material: Microfiber | Care instructions: Machine wash cold, tumble dry low
- Customizable name plaque
- Built-in pillow and no zippers
- Too small for taller kiddos, some parents say
- Others say the padding could be thicker
Stephen Joseph makes kids’ nap mats with the most adorable prints (the brand has kid-friendly aesthetics covered). But the adjustability is what really sets this toddler nap mat apart from others in the space. With adjustable hook-and-loop straps, your child can easily secure the mat in a rolled-up position for effortless portability. Whether they’re carrying it to daycare, on a road trip or to a sleepover, the straps keep the mat neatly rolled and secure, making it a breeze to transport. The mat features a built-in pillow, soft velboa lining on the inside and a cushioned bottom for optimal support and a restful sleep every time. And practicality was obviously top of mind when the convenient front pocket was envisioned—perfect for storing small essentials like a favorite book, take-everywhere toy or comfort blanket.
Dimensions: 52" (L) x 20" (W); 28" (width of blanket) | Material: 100% polyester | Care instructions: Machine wash gentle, dry flat
- Exterior is super durable, long-lasting
- Personalizable for an extra charge
- Could be thicker, some parents say
- Pillow flattens out over time
This toddler nap mat is a real game-changer. It has a soft, fleece blanket, name tag and a machine-washable pillow. The best part? It’s the first nap mat to feature sewn-in elastic bands that pull over the corners of a vinyl mat or cot bed to ensure your toddler's bedding stays in place. Genius! Bonus: You can even have the blanket personalized with your kiddos name.
Dimensions: 52" (L) x 22" (W) | Material: 65% polyester/35% cotton (outer); 100% polyester (fill) | Care instructions: Machine wash cold, tumble dry
- Durable to withstand multiple weekly washings
- Can be embroidered
- Coordinates with brand’s other daycare/preschool gear
- Bit thin, some parents say
Although this one is technically billed as a “sleeping bag,” the soft, shaggy puppy head and lofty batting (aka cushyness) earns the Pottery Barn bestseller the last “plush” spot on our list of the best toddler nap mats. The material is OEKO-TEX certified, meaning it’s free from over 300 harmful substances. Plus, it can even be personalized with your kid’s name or monogram. We love this one for a day trip to grandma or grandpa’s house or even for little ones who may be transitioning between toddler and big kid beds.
Dimensions: 71" (L) x 29" (W) | Material: 100% cotton (shell); 47% acrylic/31% mod-acrylic/22% polyester (fill) | Care instructions: Machine wash cold and gentle, tumble dry low
- Sweet plush character motifs
- Straps for portability
- Satin stitching is aesthetically-pleasing
- Better suited for older toddlers
There are several different types of toddler nap mats to choose from. You’ll want to find one that accommodates your child’s needs and preferences.
- Roll-up toddler nap mats. Roll-up nap mats tend to be the most popular; they’re portable and often feature nifty handles for carrying. Some options come with built-in covers and blankets, others are simply undressed mats you can roll.
- Stackable toddler nap mats. Stackable mats fold into three or four sections and can be stowed away, making them a good option for preschool. One possible downside is that they tend to be a little bulkier and may not be as travel-friendly as other options. This type of nap mat is typically made of vinyl and is easy to wipe clean, but may not come with bedding.
- Toddler nap cots. Nap cots usually have hard frames, a woven middle and legs that raise it up off the ground. Most options aren’t portable and don’t include bedding, although you can always buy a nap cot with a mat and bedding to create a cozier sleep spot for your little one.
If you know your kiddo’s school has cots on-site, try looking for varieties of toddler nap mats that sport elastic bands to secure the bedding to their respective cot.
In addition to paying attention to the different types of nap mats available, you’ll also want to consider a few other details before making a purchase:
- Comfort. Padding and thickness are key factors to consider when choosing a toddler nap mat. Ask yourself if your child will be comfortable using the nap mat on the floor, or if they may need additional bedding and padding. Kids that like to be extra-cozy may appreciate a memory-foam nap mat or one with a built-in pillow, whereas some tots will be happy to nod off on a simple vinyl mat.
- Cleanliness. Is your chosen nap mat waterproof and easy to clean? If your tot will be getting good use out of their nap mat, you’ll want to make sure it’s one you can clean without fuss. (Yep, accidents can happen even after initial potty training) While some toddler nap mats are machine washable, others should only be spot cleaned.
- Convenience. Pick a toddler nap mat that best suits your family’s needs. If you travel a lot, look for styles that are easy to roll-up and store with a handle for easy transportation. Alternatively, if the nap mat is going to stay in one place, you could also opt for a foldable style that’s less portable.
Navigate forward to interact with the calendar and select a date. Press the question mark key to get the keyboard shortcuts for changing dates.