This Mom Shares Painful Injury to Highlight When Babywearing Can Be Dangerous
A baby carrier or wrap is a multitasking mom’s best friend, helping her get things done while keeping baby close. From exercising to cleaning the house to line dancing, a carrier can help faciliate all sorts of activities with baby. But one mom is emphasizing that cooking and babywearing should be mutually exclusive after a scary incident in the kitchen.
“On Tuesday I was involved in an accident where my stove burner exploded and sent a fire ball to my face, neck and chest,” Molly Landis posted on Facebook. “The worst of my burns is to my chest–exactly where [my baby’s] precious little head would have been laying if she were in her carrier.”
Landis explains that she often wears her 4-week-old in a wrap carrier while in the kitchen. But on this particular evening, she took her off.
“A guardian angel was watching over me and my baby because for the first time in her life, she fell asleep in her swing and I wasn’t wearing her while I was in the kitchen.”
The point of Landis’s message? “Please be cautious of the activities we do while wearing our babies!” She adds her post has prompted several messages from astonished moms who say they cook with their carriers all the time.
Many of the nearly 4,000 comments involve Facebook users tagging friends, urging them to be cautious.