Dad’s Viral Post Reminds Parents to Check Food Labels
You put a lot of thought into the foods you give baby, whether they’re store-bought snacks or homemade purees. But one dad’s post is reminding us that conscientious feeding doesn’t end there.
Justin Morrice of Saskatchewan, Canada, shared a Facebook post after an extremely close call with his choking daughter.
“As I sit here still shaking, I’m posting this as a reminder to all parents of small children: Please always read labels on the foods we feed them,” Morrice writes.
Morrice continues to describe the “longest and scariest minute of [his] life.” After feeding his 9-month-old daughter, Annabelle, Morrice placed some Gerber Lil’ Crunchies, or “cheesies,” as he calls them, on her high chair tray.
“In less than 10 seconds I had turned to rinse her bowl in the sink, turned back, and saw her gasping for air. She was trying to cry but no sound was coming out,” Morrice writes. “I flipped her over and her lips had turned blue and she was still trying to cry. I tried again to flip her, facing down and slapping her back, but nothing…It was at that moment I thought my little girl was going to die in my arms.”
Morrice sprung into action, working to clear Annabelle’s airway.
“I panicked and did the only thing I could think of; I rammed my finger into her mouth and down her throat and was able to squish the cheesie enough that the next thing I heard was the sweetest sound in the world: her crying,” he says. “I flipped her over again and slapped her back and with the force of her crying it became dislodged.”
Morrice had fed Annabelle “cheesies” from the same container just days before, which she ate without a problem. So what changed?
Morrice scanned the can and saw a warning label, encouraging consumers to throw away contents within five days of breaking the seal. He opened a new container to compare the contents.
“The ones in the can she choked on I can only describe to be like a foam ear plug,” he says. “I could squish it, but it would expand back out and would not break apart. The ones in the new can crumbled with ease.”
Fortunately, both Morrice and Annabelle are doing well. Morrice clarifies in the caption that his post is in no way intended to chastise Gerber, but rather aimed at keeping parents on high alert.
“So many products post warning labels, but unless you scan the product you can get ‘lazy’ as parents and it becomes routine,” he writes.
Take it from Morrice: Read every label. And consider brushing up on first aid tips, like what to do if baby’s choking.