Preschooler Endures Emergency Surgery After Swallowing Toy Magnets

His mom is warning others after doctors had to remove part of the 4-year-old’s colon, intestines and appendix.
ByStephanie Grassullo
Associate Editor
Published
Dec 2018
Toddler shouting toys in room behind on floor
Photo: Layland Masuda via Getty Images

Jennifer White and her family got the fright of a lifetime this Christmas. Just days after decking the halls, White’s 4-year-old son, Beck, broke open a magnetic toy and swallowed 13 magnets. After being rushed to the hospital, the little warrior had to have emergency surgery to remove part of his colon, intestines and appendix. Shaken by the scary experience, the mom took to Facebook in hopes other parents would heed her warning on steering clear from similar toys.

“Beck broke open a magnetic toy and has 13 tiny magnets in him. I feel guilty AF and horrible posting this, but I don’t want another child to go through this,” the mom explains. “If you have little ones or chewers, these are dangerous and we’re removing them from our home.”

In an update to the post, White explains her son had surgery to remove part of his colon, intestines and appendix. As if that wasn’t enough, the youngster had to stay for a few additional days because the magnets caused him to have holes and an infection in his intestines.

Later in the week, White shared an update on Beck and expressed her gratitude for all the support she received from friends, family and even strangers.

“Never in all of my life have I had the support and unbelievable generosity of so many people. I’m still in complete awe,” she says. “Beck is doing well and mostly sleeping, which is good because it will be easier to rid the infection in his stomach.”

Luckily, by the sounds of the mom’s Facebook updates, Beck is doing well and should recover with time. The scary story is a reminder that when it comes to baby toys, your doctor has some valuable suggestions to lend. Learn more about the top AAP-approved tips for choosing toys for your little one to avoid a similar scenario in your home.

“Thank you all so very, very much from the bottom of my heart and from my family. We are truly grateful and blessed for all the love and support,” the mom stresses to her Facebook community.

Click here for more details on the hidden dangers lurking in your kids’ toys.

UPDATE: What You Need to Know About the Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder Scare

Anisa Arsenault
Associate Editor
Published
04/16/2018

Top Halloween Safety Tips for Parents of Trick-or-Treating Tots

Dina DiMaggio, MD, and Anthony F. Porto, MD, MPH

How to Avoid Lead Poisoning in Children

Lisa Milbrand
Contributing Writer

11 Essential Winter Safety Tips for Baby

Celia Shatzman
Contributing Writer

What One Mom Needs Every Parent to Know After Newborn’s Close Call

Stephanie Grassullo
Associate Editor
Published
04/29/2019

Study: Every Two Hours a Kid Is Rushed to the ER Because of These Household Items

Stephanie Grassullo
Associate Editor
Published
06/17/2019

EWG Ranks This Summer's Best—And Worst—Sunscreens for Kids

Anisa Arsenault
Associate Editor
Published
05/24/2017

Mom's Viral Life Jacket Video Reminds Parents to Test Vests First

Ashley Edwards Walker
Contributing Writer
Published
08/20/2018

YouTube Cracks Down on Inappropriate Content for Kids

Natalie Neusch
Contributing Writer
Published
11/26/2017

Ask the Pediatrician: How Can I Keep Baby Safe This Winter?

Dina DiMaggio, MD, and Anthony F. Porto, MD, MPH

7 Big Ways Parenting Rules Changed for the Better in 2016

Ashlee Neuman
Deputy Editor
Published
12/28/2016

Preschooler Endures Emergency Surgery After Swallowing Toy Magnets

Stephanie Grassullo
Associate Editor
Published
12/31/2018