As we further describe below, we may share your Personal Information with third parties for their marketing purposes. You can elect for us not to do so by editing your privacy preferences in your account profile at http://global.thebump.com/join/MemberProfile.aspx, or by emailing us at [email protected] (please include your name, mailing address, and email address). See “Your California Privacy Rights” below for additional information.
Here are a few general principles to keep in mind as you read through this Policy:
• This Site is owned or operated by XO Group Inc. or one of its subsidiaries (referred to collectively in this Policy as “The Bump,” “we,” “us,” “our” and other similar pronouns).
• As our business evolves, this Policy may change, so check back to this page periodically to make sure you understand how your Personal Information will be treated.
• Unless otherwise specified, this Policy does not apply to information that you may provide to us, or that we may obtain, other than from you through our Site, such as over the phone, by mail, or in person.
• Advertisements that may be displayed to you on this Site and other sites may be customized to your interests and preferences based on your Personal Information and Site usage information (as further described below) collected through our Site. You may be able to opt out of such advertisements, so visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/ and http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ for more information. Also, note, however, that if you opt-out we may still suggest offerings to you on our Site based on your history at our Site.
• If you are located outside of the United States, you should know that the information you provide to us is being transmitted to us and processed in the United States and will be protected subject to this Policy and United States laws, which may not be as protective as the laws in your country. Also, this Site places cookies and local shared objects on your computer or device, as further described below. By using the Site, you agree to this.
Opt In and Opt Out
You may have the right to opt in to or opt out of certain of our uses and disclosures of your Personal Information. For example, when you are asked to provide Personal Information on this Site, you may have the opportunity to elect to, or not to, receive promotional messages from us by e-mail or by Text Message (as defined below). You may unsubscribe from our promotional emails by editing your preferences in your account profile on the Site, or by clicking on the opt-out link within the e-mail you receive. To opt out of our Text Messages, please follow the instructions provided in connection with the particular Text Message campaign. Please understand that it may take us some time to process any opt out request and that even if you opt out of receiving promotional correspondence from us, we may still contact you in connection with your relationship, activities, transactions and communications with us. You may also tell us that you do not want us to share your Personal Information with third parties for their marketing purposes, by editing your preferences in your Site member profile, or by emailing us at [email protected] (please include your name, mailing address, and email address). To stop receiving promotional messages from third parties who already have your contact information, please contact them directly.
What information is collected on this Site?
While you may be able to visit and view content on the Site without providing any Personal Information, we may collect Personal Information on or through the Site in various circumstances.
“Personal Information” is information that can be used to identify you or contact you as an individual, as well as information attributed with such information. Personal Information includes, for example, your name; age or date of birth; postal address; e-mail address; telephone number; wireless device address; text message address; screen name or username; photograph; gender; geolocation information; payment card and other payment information; event dates and related information; information about your family; and interests, hobbies and demographic information. We collect Personal Information via the Site in a variety of circumstances, such as when you conduct a transaction on our Site; create an account on our Site; edit your online profile; sign up for our newsletters; sign-up for certain services; make online purchases; enter sweepstakes and contests; complete surveys; contribute to a chat room, bulletin board, message board, list serve, blog, wiki or other social forum on the Site; or submit a comment or question to us by using a “contact us” or similar feature on the Site. On some of our Sites, you may not be able to participate in certain activities or access certain content, unless you provide us with the requested Personal Information.
A “tell-a-friend” tool (or similar feature) on the Site or in our e-mails and other communications allows you to send information about our Sites, services and offerings to another person. In other circumstances, you may be able to provide us information about other people involved in your event. When you use these services, we will typically ask you for the name or other information (e.g., email addresses) of the other person. This information will be treated in accordance with this Policy. With the “tell-a-friend” or similar feature, we may automatically send an email inviting the recipient(s) to read the article, view the content or visit the Site. We store this information for purposes of sending this email and tracking the success of our “tell-a-friend” or similar feature. Your “friend” (i.e., the third party whose information you submit using such feature) may contact us [email protected] to request that we remove this information from our database (and in some cases, may be able to opt out of receiving future promotional emails from us).
An Internet or mobile-based call or similar feature on the Site enables you to call merchants or other third parties that are featured on the Site, such as vendors of products and services we think you may be interested in. If you use this feature to call a third party, we will record the phone call and any message you leave for the third party, as well as call information such as the number dialed, the date and time of the call and its duration, and your location as determined by your area code or as otherwise permitted. We may use this information for analytics, auditing and other purposes. You will be notified of this recording when using this feature.
Site Usage Information
As is the case with many Web sites, our servers automatically collect your IP address when you visit the Site, and we may associate that with your domain name or that of your Internet access provider. We may also capture certain “clickstream data” pertaining to your usage of and navigation around the Site. Clickstream data includes, for example, information about your computer or device, Web browser and operating system and their settings, the referring page that linked you to the Site, the pages or ads you see or click on during your visit and when and fr how long you do so, items you download, the next Web site you visit when you leave the Site, and any search terms you have entered on the Site or a referral site. All of this information may be used for a variety of purposes, including, for example, to gather aggregated demographic or statistical information.
In addition, we may deploy various tracking technologies on the Site to collect additional information about your Site visits. These technologies may enable us to, for example, assign a unique number to you, to collect information about your usage of our Site, administer the Site and our systems, and to relate such Site usage information to other information about you, including your Personal Information. By using our Site, you agree to our use of these tracking technologies. Examples of the types of tracking technologies deployed on the Site include the following:
• “Local shared objects,” such as “Flash cookies,” may be stored on your computer or device using a media player or other software installed on your computer or device. Local shared objects operate a lot like cookies, but cannot be managed in the same way. Depending on how local shared objects are enabled on your computer or device, you may be able to manage them using software settings. For information on managing Flash cookies, for example, click here.
• A “pixel tag” (also known as a “clear GIF” or “web beacon”) is a tiny image – typically just one-pixel – that can be placed on a Web page or in our electronic communications to you in order to help us measure the effectiveness of our content by, for example, counting the number of individuals who visit us online or verifying whether you’ve opened one of our emails or seen one of our Web pages. • “HTML5” (the language some Web sites, such as mobile Web sites, are coded in) may be used to store information on your computer or device about your Site usage activities and to help determine how our Site is being used by our visitors, how it can be improved, and to customize it for our users.
The above tracking technologies may be deployed by us or our service providers on our behalf. For example, we currently use, and/or in the future may use certain third party vendors to collect Site usage information and track traffic to, from and around the Sites.
We may use third-party web beacons to help analyze where visitors go and what they do while visiting our website. By using our Site, you agree to our use of these tracking technologies.
Do Not Track Disclosures
Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to the websites with which the user communicates. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they even are aware of them. Because there currently is no industry standard concerning what, if anything, websites should do when they receive such signals, we currently do not change our tracking practices (which are explained in more detail directly above) in response to “do-not-track” (DNT) settings in your web browser. If and when a final standard is established and accepted, we will reassess how to respond to these signals.
Our third party partners, such as ad networks, web analytics companies and social media and networking platforms, collect information about your online activities over time and across our Site and other online properties. These third parties do not change their tracking practices in response to DNT settings in your web browser and we do not obligate these parties to honor DNT settings. Information about how to opt-out from your data being used by third parties can be found above under “Site Usage Information”.
How we may use your information
We (or one of our service providers, on our behalf) may use your information (including your Personal Information and Site usage information) for a variety of purposes, such as the following:
• processing and fulfilling your transactions
• administering the Site, the Site’s features and services, and your account with us
• enabling users to use the Site and the Site’s features and services
• responding to your requests, questions, and concerns
• developing new features and offerings on the Site
• sending you marketing and other communications, including information about products, services, and events, of ours and of others, that we think might interest you. You may opt out of receiving such notices from us by following the instructions in the Opt In and Opt Out section above.
• protecting our rights and property
• customizing the Site to your interests and history with us
• tailoring ads displayed to you on our Site and elsewhere to your interests and history with us
• other purposes described at the time you choose to provide Personal Information to us
To perform the above functions, we may match information collected from you through different means or at different times, including both Personal Information and Site usage information, and use such information along with information obtained from other sources (including third parties) such as demographic information and updated contact information. We or our service providers may also use your information to assess the level of interest in, and use of, the Site, our e-mails and our other messaging campaigns both on an individual basis and in the aggregate.
How we may share Personal Information and Site usage information with others?
We may share the information we collect on the Site with others for a variety of reasons. In addition to the kinds of information sharing you might expect, such as sharing with our subsidiaries, affiliates and third-party providers who need your information in order to provide services to us or on our behalf, and sharing what you voluntarily post to public areas on the Site with other Site users, we may share your information:
• with our affiliates and other third parties (e.g., pre-screened organizations that have offerings we think may interest you, registry program participants, retailers, and other third party partners) for their marketing and other purposes, unless you tell us not to by following the instructions in the Opt-in and Opt-out section above
• including limited personal information, such as your first name, first initial of your last name, and other related data, with our affiliates and other third parties (e.g., pre-screened organizations that have offerings we think may interest you, registry program participants, retailers, and other third party partners) for their marketing and other purposes; • with our co-sponsor(s) if we obtain your information in connection with a contest, sweepstakes, offering, or other promotional activity that is jointly offered by us and any third parties, unless you tell us not to by following the instructions in the Opt-in and Opt-out section above • when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights or property, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud or respond to a government, judicial or other legal request, or to comply with the law • in connection with a corporate change or dissolution, including for example a merger, acquisition, reorganization, consolidation, bankruptcy, liquidation, sale of assets, or wind-down of a business. In addition, we may share non-personally identifiable Site usage information (including aggregate data) with others, for their use, in a form that does not include your name or contact information.
If you participate in certain public or community areas of our Site, such as a chat room, message board, blog, or by creating a public profile), the information you voluntarily disclose will be accessible to other Site members and, in some cases, the general public. You should be cautious about the information you submit to these areas (e.g., make up a username that does not disclose your personal identity). On some of our Sites, you may choose to limit the viewability of your online registries. If you do not elect this option, then anyone visiting the Site will be able to search for and view your registry by using your first and/or last name and other information regarding your event.
Your California Privacy Rights
California's "Shine the Light" law, Civil Code section 1798.83, requires certain businesses to respond to requests from California customers asking about the businesses' practices related to disclosing personal information to third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes. Alternately, such businesses may have in place a policy not to disclose personal information of customers to third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes if the customer has exercised an option to opt-out of such information-sharing. As discussed above, if you wish to opt-out of our sharing of your information with third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes, edit your preferences in your account profile at here, or email us at [email protected] (please include your name, mailing address, and email address). To find out more about your opt-out rights, see the “Opt-in and Opt-out Section” section above.
We may make available mobile applications (or “apps”) that you are able to download to and use from your mobile device. Depending on the nature and functionality of the app, we may collect Personal Information and non-personally identifiable usage information through the app. The app also may collect information about your mobile device, such as your device’s unique device ID (UDID), the IP address of your mobile device, device type, operating system and connection information (e.g., WiFi, 3G, etc.). If you opt-in, some of our apps may collect your device’s precise real-time location, and in such cases, you may be able to opt out from further allowing us to have access to such location data by managing your location preferences in the app and/or on your device. This Policy may be supplemented from time to time with additional terms applicable to individual apps, or individual apps may be subject to separate privacy policies of which we will notify you by posting them on such apps.
Third-Party Ad Servers and Networks
We may use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit the Site. These companies may use information about your visits to this Site and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. These advertisements may appear on this Site and on other Web sites. These companies may employ cookies, clear GIFs and other tracking technologies to cause relevant ads to be displayed to you.
For more information about third-party advertisers and how to prevent them from using your information, visit the NAI’s consumer Web site at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ or Aboutads.info at http://www.aboutads.info/choices/. We encourage you to read these businesses’ privacy policies to learn about how they treat your information.
If the e-mail address you provide to us is a wireless e-mail address, you agree to receive messages from us at such address, subject to your opt-out rights as described in the Opt In and Opt Out section above. You may change your e-mail preferences at any time, but your wireless carrier’s standard rates will apply as long as you are receiving messages at a wireless e-mail address. If you give us a wireless e-mail address, you represent that you are the owner or authorized user of the device on which messages will be received and that you are authorized to approve the applicable charges.
Text Message Service and Other Communication
We may seek to send messages to you on your wireless device via short message service (“Text Messaging”). By submitting your mobile phone number, you consent to receive text messages and offerings from us to the mobile device associated with that number using an automatic system for such purposes unless and until you elect not to receive such messages by following the opt-out instructions provided in connection the particular campaign.
You represent that you are the owner or authorized user of the device you use to sign up for Text Messaging, and that you are authorized to approve the applicable charges. You may not consent on behalf of someone else. You consent to receive phone calls from us even if your phone number is listed on the federal or state “do not call” registries. You must be 18 years of age or older and reside in the United States to use our Text Messaging. You must first register and provide all required Personal Information, such as your name, text address, wireless carrier, and billing information (if fees are applicable to the Text Messaging), which may be either your payment card information or mobile service carrier information. We may also obtain the date, time and content of your messages in the course of your use of Text Messaging. We will use the information we obtain in connection with our Text Messaging in accordance with this Policy. Messages may be about our promotional offerings. You are not required to agree to this in order to purchase goods or services from us. An auto-dialer and/or artificial or prerecorded message may be used to make calls to you. Mobile access is required for Text Messaging, and text messages are not available on some carriers and devices. If fees are charged to your wireless account invoice, we may provide information to your carrier about them. Your wireless carrier and other service providers may also collect data about your wireless device usage, and their practices are governed by their own policies. We may also access the content of your account and/or wireless account with your carrier for the purpose of identifying and resolving technical problems and/or service-related complaints.
You may opt out of Text Messaging at any time by following instructions provided in connection the particular campaign, but your wireless carrier’s standard rates will apply to any messages you receive. Your opt-out will be effective once we send you a text confirmation of your opt-out. You will then be placed on our “do-not-contact” list for marketing purposes. (We may still contact you about your transactions with us.) If you are a Nevada resident, you may contact the Nevada Attorney General for more information about your opt out rights by calling 775-684-1100, emailing [email protected], or by writing to: Office of the Attorney General, Nevada Department of Justice, Bureau of Consumer Protection, 100 North Carson Street, Carson City, NV 89701-4717. You agree to enter into, sign and receive this consent to receive text messages electronically. Print this page using your Internet-connected computer or device and web browser to retain a copy of your consent.
Your Access Rights
You may be able to review, update or modify certain of the Personal Information that is stored in a user account set up with us on the Site (if you have one with us on the Site) by logging in to the “My Account” or similar area of the Site or by contacting us using the “Contact Us” information below. We may ask you to verify your identity and to provide other details before we are able to provide you with any information, correct any inaccuracies, or delete any information. Your right to delete your information is subject to our records retention policies.
We use various efforts intended to safeguard the security and integrity of Personal Information collected on this Site. For example, where appropriate, we use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), private networks, intrusion detection measures and firewalls, and payment card information is encrypted in our system. We also have in place various access controls and restrictions with respect to Personal Information, such as restricting certain employees from accessing Personal Information, requiring our employees to use password-protected screen-savers when they leave their desk and passwords to regain access upon their return, and keeping employees up-to-date on our security and privacy practices. Additionally, the servers that we store Personal Information on are kept in a secure environment, subject to various physical access controls. Despite these measures, however, we cannot and do not guarantee that information will be absolutely safe from interception during transmission or intrusion during storage, while stored on our system, or otherwise.
If you correspond with us by e-mail, text message, or using Web forms like a “contact us” feature on our Site, you should be aware that your transmission might not be secure from access by unauthorized parties. We have no liability for disclosure of your information due to errors or unauthorized acts of third parties during or after transmission. If you create an account on our Site, you are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account password and for any activity that occurs under your account. Please notify us of any unauthorized use of your password or account. If we believe that the security of your Personal Information in our care may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you. If we have your e-mail address, we may notify you by e-mail. You consent to our use of e-mail as a means of such notification. If you prefer for us to use the U.S. Postal Service to notify you in this situation, please e-mail us at [email protected] (please include your name, mailing address, and email address).
Links to other Web sites
Children under the Age of 13
The Site is not intended for children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly collect or store any personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13. If you are under 13, please do not register on the Website, make purchases through the Website or send any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number or email address. If you believe that we might have any information from a child under the age of 13, please contact us at [email protected].
Changes to this Policy
We may change this Policy from time to time. When we do, we will let you know by posting the changed Policy on this page with a new “Last Updated” date. In some cases (for example, if we make certain material changes), we may inform you by additional means, such as by sending you an e-mail. In some cases, we may obtain your consent to the changes.
Last Updated: February 9, 2016