Your Checklist for the Perfect Nursery
It’s easy to get overwhelmed when you’re putting together a nursery. Baby boutiques will have you ooh-ing and aah-ing over scores of items—all of which seem absolutely crucial to your tot’s future happiness and well being, including that pink couch fashioned out of 100 percent organic cotton by some artisan in Brooklyn. But the truth is, babies are simple folk. Only a few things are genuinely important, and everything else is merely nice to have. So direct your energies toward the essentials below. They’re all you need to turn any part of your house—whether it’s a corner in your master bedroom or what used to be your den—into a highly functional space made just for baby.
- Crib or bassinet that follows current US Consumer Product Safety Standards. This mean slats are no more than 2 and 3/8 inches apart, top rails at least 26 inches above the mattress, and corner posts no more than 1/16 of an inch above the frame.
- Firm, flat mattress that fits snugly in the crib (less than two fingers should fit between mattress and crib)
- 1 to 3 washable crib mattress pads
- 2 to 4 fitted crib sheets
- Bluetooth speakers (to pipe in soothing sounds and music off baby’s playlist
- Rocking or arm chair
- Lamp (or other light source) with dimmer
- Changing table (or if your dresser is low, then you simply need a security-strapped changing pad to put on top of it)
- Diaper pail
- Baskets or bins for toys, diapers and other baby necessities
- Crib mobile (remove this when baby can support himself on hands and knees.)
- Baby swing or bouncer
- Soft, easy-to-clean rug (preferably 100 percent organic cotton or wool to avoid off-gassing)
- Play mat
- Age-appropriate toys
- Baby monitor (this may not be necessary in a small apartment)
Ready to register? Get started now.
The perfect nursery starts with the perfect mattress. The Lullaby Earth Breathe Safe crib mattress is a certified non-toxic option that’s both breathable and waterproof, offering a secure fit and firm support combined with a breathable design to maximize airflow—even when baby starts to roll over. Save 15 percent at checkout with code BUMP15.