BookmarkBookmarkTick

Q&A: Lead Paint Dangerous for a Baby?

Should I be concerned about lead paint in my home? How can I make sure it’s safe before I bring baby home?
ByPaula Kashtan
Updated
March 2, 2017
Hero Image

Yes, you should definitely be concerned. Ingesting lead paint or its dust can be extremely harmful, and small children — thanks to their tendency to put, oh, _anything _in their mouths – are especially at risk. Years ago, lead was added to paint to make it last longer. Paint made before World War II has the highest levels. In the 1950s, when experts started realizing the danger of lead, the amount in paint was reduced. Then, in 1978, lead paint was banned entirely from residential use. So, if your home was built before 1978, take special care.

First, get any flaking or peeling paint sealed or removed by a professional. (This goes for any paint, whether or not it’s lead based. You never know what’s under that first layer… and even if it’s not lead, baby still shouldn’t ingest it.) You can test your home for lead on your own — Home Depot sells kits — or, if you’re especially concerned, call your local Department of Health to find official laboratories that will do the evaluating for you. And,depending on your area, your landlord could be required to pay for elimination of the risk — the Department of Health can also give you info on this.

Related Video
beagle dog sniffing newborn baby on bed

Tips for Keeping Baby Safe Around Your Pets

profile picture of Lisa Milbrand
Lisa Milbrand
Contributing Writer
small child became trapped in washing machine

Mom’s Post About Daughter Locked in Washing Machine Goes Viral

profile picture of Ashley Edwards Walker
Ashley Edwards Walker
Contributing Writer
Published
07/16/2018
e-cigarette juice package almost the same as kids mott apple juice

E-Cigarette Liquids Could Fool You Into Thinking They're Juice Boxes

profile picture of Laurie Ulster
Laurie Ulster
Contributing Writer
Published
06/19/2018
Article removed.