What Are Some Male Fertility Boosters?

We’re trying to start a family. Is there anything my husband can do to help himself prepare?
save article
profile picture of Lowell T. Ku, MD, reproductive endocrinologist, Dallas IVF
Updated March 2, 2017
Hero Image

You might feel like you’re doing most of the work, especially if you’re undergoing a fertility treatment like IVF, but your hubby can also do his part in maximizing your chances of getting pregnant. This includes:

*_Taking vitamins
*_L-carnitine, zinc, vitamin C and vitamin E have all been shown to help improve sperm health, so for starters, he should take a daily multivitamin or supplement that includes all or some of these micronutrients.

*_Quitting smoking (and we mean all kinds) and drinking
*_If he’s a smoker, he should quit, not just for his own health but also for yours. And if he smokes a different kind of cigarette, he should also take a break — research shows marijuana will also reduce sperm count. And while he’s at it, tell him to cut back on his alcohol: Too much of it can reduce zinc levels, important to fertility.

*_Reviewing his meds
*_Certain medications, including steroids like prednisone and cortisone can impact male fertility, so have him talk to his doctor about whether he can switch treatments.

*_Avoiding hot stuff
*_If he likes to relax in the sauna or hot tub, he may need to take a short break, since elevated levels of heat can cut sperm count; same goes for hot showers (more than 30 minutes), heating pads and electric blankets.

*_Changing his workout
*_If he’s a cyclist, he might want to consider cross-training: Staying in the saddle can increase the temperature of the testicles.

*_Switching to boxers
*_Finally, if he’s a brief’s guy, he might want to switch over to boxers: Those tighty whiteys can cause the testicles to overheat, decreasing his number of sperm.

Plus More From The Bump:

Please note: The Bump and the materials and information it contains are not intended to, and do not constitute, medical or other health advice or diagnosis and should not be used as such. You should always consult with a qualified physician or health professional about your specific circumstances.

save article
Related Video

Next on Your Reading List

Article removed.
Name added. View Your List