Baby Registry Finder
First TrimesterSecond TrimesterThird TrimesterPregnancy week by weekPregnancy showersBest of baby list
Toddler Month by Month
profile picture of Nancy Mohrbacher, IBCLC, FILCA
Nancy Mohrbacher, IBCLC, FILCA
Lactation Specialist

Q&A: Finding a Lactation Consultant?

How do I go about finding a lactation consultant in my area?

When you're hunting for a lactation consultant, try to find one that uses "IBCLC" as part of her title — this means she's been certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners.

Your OB/GYN or pediatrician may have a good referral, and your local hospital may even have an IBCLC (or several) on staff. If not, check with your local La Leche League International — the organization keeps lists of IBCLCs in most regions. (Find your local La Leche International leader by calling (847) 519-7730.) You can also look for a local lactation consultant using the directory on this site— just click on your area on the map to see the listings.

PHOTO: Getty Images