Q&A: Are Nipple Blister and Milk Blister the Same?

What is a milk blister?
ByErin van Vuuren
March 2, 2017
Hero Image

A milk blister is a blocked nipple pore. (You might also hear it called a “nipple blister” or “bleb.”) This forms when skin grows over a milk duct opening, backing up the milk behind it. A milk blister looks like, well, a little blister. It is usually a painful white, clear, or yellow dot on your nipple or areola. If you squeeze your boob, the blister may bulge. A milk blister sometimes sticks around for a few days (or even a couple of weeks) before healing on its own when the skin peels away.

If you have a blister that’s red or brown, it probably isn’t a milk blister. It may be a “blood blister” from the friction of a shallow latch or a poorly fitting pump or nipple shield. And remember that all white spots aren’t milk blisters. A little clump of hardened milk or a string of thick, fatty milk can plug up your nipple as well, appearing as a little white dot (that’s not covered by skin).

To treat a milk blister, apply moist heat (like a hot washcloth) just before nursing; clear the skin from the milk duct by gently rubbing it with a wet washcloth, pulling gently with clean fingernails, or asking your doctor to open the blister with a sterile needle; nurse frequently (even if it hurts); pump if you can’t nurse; and treat the wound as you would any other nipple crack.

Related Video
Shawn Johnson gives birth to a baby boy.

Shawn Johnson and Andrew East Welcome a Baby Boy

profile picture of Lauren Barth
Lauren Barth
Senior Editor
Singer Halsey gives birth to newborn baby.

Halsey and Alev Aydin Welcome Their First Child

profile picture of Lauren Barth
Lauren Barth
Senior Editor
Happy mom holding her curious baby.

The Most Curious Babies Become the Smartest Learners, Study Says

profile picture of Nehal Aggarwal
Nehal Aggarwal
Associate Editor
Article removed.