Why Women Trying to Conceive Really Should Stop Drinking

ByIvy Jacobson
Associate Editor, The Knot
Mar 2017
Hero Image

Although we all know the importance of a good cocktail, a new study by the Loyola University Health System  says that women trying to conceive should stop drinking , since alcohol is associated with babies being born with mental delays, facial clefting and gastroschisis, a birth defect in the abdominal wall.

“A woman can conceive at any point in her cycle, so women should avoid alcohol well in advance of becoming pregnant,” says Jean Goodman, MD, lead investigator, division director of Maternal-Fetal Medicine at LUHS. “We recommend that women begin taking folic acid supplements starting three months prior to conception. This is an ideal time to refrain from alcohol use as well because you are in the mindset of preparing your body for pregnancy.”

Their research included studies of 36 women who had babies with gastroschisis, and 76 without, finding a link between gastroschisis and alcohol use one month prior to conception.

“Preconception programs focused on alcohol abstinence may help to reverse the increasing incidence of this birth defect worldwide,” says Jean.

It’s always good to keep an eye on your alcohol intake, since after you give birth, the International Guidelines on Drinking and Pregnancy say moms who are breastfeeding shouldn’t drink. Taking prenatal vitamins at least two months before you conceive as also helpful, including at least 400 mcg of folic acid each day as far as a year or two in advance.

When taken before and during the early weeks of pregnancy, folic acid greatly decreases the risk of neural tube defects like spina bifida. Folic acid is also found in foods like spinach, black beans, orange juice and strawberries.

Did you give up drinking before trying to conceive? Do you agree with this study?

Related Video

5 Signs You’re Fertile Now

Cassie Kreitner
Senior Editor

Woman Is the First to Have a Baby Using Ovary Frozen in Childhood

Anisa Arsenault
Associate Editor

What Is Electro-Acupuncture?

Eric Widra, MD, chair of practice committee for the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology and a reproductive endocrinologist with Shady Grove Fertility in Washington, DC
Fertility Specialist