Healthy Pregnancy Snacks
April 26, 2017
When you’re eating for two, it’s tempting to fit in extra calories by having some Doritos—but that won’t do baby much good. You actually only need 300 extra calories during pregnancy, and the healthier you can make those snacks, the better. Try these (roughly) 300-calorie foods the next time you’re reaching for a mini-meal.
- Hummus. Try scooping hummus with your favorite assorted raw veggies, like carrots or celery
- 8-ounce smoothie. Make it with your favorite mixed berries and soy or skim milk.
- Small baked potato. Top it with plain yogurt (instead of sour cream) and chives.
- Banana and 1 tbsp peanut butter. Make it even healthier with all-natural peanut butter.
- Half-cup low-fat cottage cheese. Top it off with 1 cup of fresh fruit.
- Dried fruit and nuts. Just a small handful has plenty of healthy fats and proteins.
- 1 cup of sorbet. Fresh fruit make for great toppings.
- Popcorn. Try 6 cups of the air-popped kind with ¼ cup parmesan cheese.
- 1 cup whole-grain cereal. Mix it with soy or skim milk for breakfast anytime.
- 1/4 cup salsa. Pair it with two handfuls of your favorite baked tortilla chips.
- Avocado. Cut a fourth of one and spread it out onto eight whole-grain crackers.
- Whole-grain waffle. Right out of the toaster with peanut or almond butter on top. YUM.
Excerpted from The Baby Bump: 100s of Secrets to Surviving Those Nine Long Months.
Plus, More from The Bump: