BookmarkBookmarkTickBookmarkAddCheckBoxFilledCheckBoxCircleBumpCheckedFilledMedical

One Pediatric Doctor’s Viral Video Warns Parents of This Grill Danger

A 4-year-old boy's trip to the ER after ingesting metal wire from a grill brush has gone viral, sparking concern among parents. Learn about the potential dangers and safe alternatives for cleaning your grill.
save article
profile picture of Wyndi Kappes
By Wyndi Kappes, Associate Editor
Updated March 1, 2023
person cleaning a barbecue grill with a wire brush
Image: elbud | Shutterstock

During warmer temps, cooking goes alfresco as families and friends gather around the grill. While parents may be focused on keeping their kids safe around the hot grill, a new viral video is also making them reconsider what goes on the grill.

Meghan Martin — a Florida pediatric ER doctor also known as @Beachgem10 on TikTok — recently shared a video warning parents about the dangers of wire grill brushes after a one of the “most interesting cases she’s ever encountered.”

Martin talks about a 4-year-old boy who ate a hamburger that was prepared on a grill that had been cleaned with a wire brush. He complained of intense ear pain, and after a visit to the ER and an ear, nose, and throat specialist, doctors could not figure out the cause. Ten days after his initial ER visit, the boy came down with a fever, and doctors did a more extensive CAT scan. That’s when they discovered a two-centimeter wire lodged in his peritonsillar tissues and an abscess that had started to develop around it.

Doctors discovered that the boy had swallowed metal wires from a grill brush, which had gotten lodged in the hamburger meat he ate at the barbecue. The surgeons removed the wire and drained the abscess, and thankfully the boy’s pain was resolved.

This story serves as a cautionary tale, warning parents not to clean their grills with wire brushes. According to the pediatric ER doctor, the wires can become lodged in soft tissues of the throat, cause bowel obstructions, and perforations in the abdomen if accidentally swallowed. Additionally, a little over two weeks ago, pieces of wire brush were found in mashed potatoes served with students’ lunches at a school in New Mexico.

So what should parents do instead of using a wire grill brush? There are several alternatives, including using a nylon bristle brush or a pumice stone. Additionally, some grill manufacturers offer special grill-cleaning tools that do not use wire bristles.

The next time you clean your grill, consider opting for these safer alternatives. And if your child complains of intense pain after eating at a backyard barbecue, don’t hesitate to seek medical attention. As this story shows, sometimes the cause of the pain may not be immediately apparent, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Please note: The Bump and the materials and information it contains are not intended to, and do not constitute, medical or other health advice or diagnosis and should not be used as such. You should always consult with a qualified physician or health professional about your specific circumstances.

save article
Article removed.
Name added. View Your List
ADVERTISEMENT

Next on Your Reading List

crate and barrel hampshire cribs recall
Why Crate & Barrel Is Recalling Its Hampshire Cribs
By Wyndi Kappes
Gain Tide laundry detergent display inside lowe's store
8.2 Million Bags of Tide and Gain Pods Recalled Over Child Safety
By Wyndi Kappes
comfi baby infant walkers recall
The CPSC Asks Parents to Stop Using Comfi Baby Infant Walkers
By Wyndi Kappes
ADVERTISEMENT
Fisher Price Little People Mickey and Friends Figures recall due to choking hazard
Fisher-Price Recalls Little People Mickey and Friends Figures
By Wyndi Kappes
young child holding gummies
Study Finds 420% Uptick in Child ER Visits Due to Melatonin Poisoning
By Wyndi Kappes
jool baby nova infant swing recall 2024
Why Jool Baby Is Recalling Its Nova Baby Swings
By Wyndi Kappes
happy mom holding baby during winter in the snow
11 Essential Winter Safety Tips for Baby
Medically Reviewed by Dina DiMaggio Walters, MD
ADVERTISEMENT
lovevery slide and seek ball runs recall
Lovevery Recalls 47,000 Slide & Seek Ball Runs Due to Choking Hazard
By Wyndi Kappes
laundry detergent pods poison risk for children
Detergent Pods Remain Significant Threat to Kids, Study Shows
By Wyndi Kappes
Baby Walkers-hero
Are Baby Walkers Safe? Here’s the Deal
By Christin Perry
ADVERTISEMENT
toddler climbing up stairs in home
8 Baby Safety Myths Busted by Pediatricians
Medically Reviewed by Lauren Crosby, MD
toddler opening christmas gifts on christmas morning
Doctor's Viral Video Reveals Top 5 Gifts That Land Kids in the ER
By Wyndi Kappes
Bugaboo Dragonfly Seat Strollers recall
Bugaboo Recalls Dragonfly Seat Strollers Due to Injury Risk
By Wyndi Kappes
ADVERTISEMENT
mother kissing baby's face while sitting on grass outside
When Can Newborns Go Outside?
Medically Reviewed by Loretta Cody, MD
baby wearing a santa hat playing with christmas tree ornaments
14 Need-to-Know Holiday Safety Tips
Medically Reviewed by Lauren Crosby, MD
family opening christmas presents
This Toy Was Responsible for the Most ER Visits Last Year
By Wyndi Kappes
father buckling baby into car seat in the car
Can You Uber With Baby? What to Know When Ridesharing With Little Ones
Fact Checked by Denise Porretto
ADVERTISEMENT
little sleepies loveys and bandana recall 2023
Little Sleepies Recalls 450,000 Sleepyhead Loveys and Bandana Bibs
By Wyndi Kappes
Best Kids Sunglasses Hero
14 Kids’ Sunglasses They’ll Wear Everywhere This Summer
By Megan Cahn
chuckle and roar water bead activity kits recall 2023
Popular Water Bead Activity Kit Sold at Target Has Been Recalled
By Wyndi Kappes
ADVERTISEMENT
Article removed.