BookmarkBookmarkTickBookmarkAdd

How Big Bows Can Pose a Big Risk to Baby

save article
profile picture of Anisa Arsenault
ByAnisa Arsenault
Associate Editor
Updated
March 15, 2017
Baby girl wearing headband bow, laughing with her dads
Image: Getty Images

As any month-by-month photo shoot of a baby girl will tell you, big headband bows are extremely popular. We understand; the fun colors and large bows are an easy way to accessorize. But a tragic story is warning parents to be careful when using them.

According to The Mirror, a 14-week-old Scottish girl reportedly died after a bow slipped down and covered her nose and mouth while she slept.

The news was shared by a friend of the mother’s on Facebook. The post has since been deleted.

“[The] postmortem revealed death due to suffocation asphyxiation,” it read. “She wanted me to share for other new mums the danger some of these baby fashion accessories can have.”

The lesson here: Headbands are another accessory unsafe for the crib. Like bedding or stuffed animals, they should be removed before baby goes to sleep because of suffocation hazards.

Additionally, parents should do their best to monitor baby while she wears a headband because it can slip. One alternative? Girlie Glue, which allows you to safely secure a bow right on baby’s forehead. After all, nobody’s asking you to give up bows entirely.

Please note: The Bump and the materials and information it contains are not intended to, and do not constitute, medical or other health advice or diagnosis and should not be used as such. You should always consult with a qualified physician or health professional about your specific circumstances.

save article

Next on Your Reading List

Article removed.