BookmarkBookmarkTickBookmarkAddCheckBoxFilledCheckBoxCircleBumpCheckedFilledMedical

National Sandwich Day: Can You Guess American Kids' Sandwich Faves?

Crust or no crust? Turkey or ham? A survey of more than 300 kids reveals the most popular sandwich preferences.
save article
profile picture of Wyndi Kappes
By Wyndi Kappes, Associate Editor
Published November 3, 2022
father handing his son a peanut butter and jelly sandwich at the park
Image: Jacob Lund | Shutterstock

November 3 is National Sandwich Day! In celebration, fast-casual restaurant chain McAlister’s Deli surveyed over 300 children between 5 and 9 years old to find out just how they like their sandwiches made. Somewhat of sandwich aficionados, on average, the kids surveyed admitted to eating four sandwiches a week.

This is where they stood on the serious sandwich issues:

  • The most popular main event? Turkey. Even when given a wide array of fun options for making their sandwich–including cookies, pizza, and macaroni and cheese—about half of the kids stuck with what they knew and went for turkey.
  • The most popular toppings? Cheese, lettuce and french fries. Seventy-seven percent of kids said, “cheese, please,” 40 percent added lettuce, and 18 percent spiced things up with the addition of french fries.
  • White or wheat? White. Sixty-one percent of kids selected white over whole wheat or multi-grain.
  • Crust or no crust? Crust. Surprisingly, 58 percent of the children preferred their sandwich with crust. The other 42 percent liked their crustless.
  • Half or whole? Half. Most kids agreed that they like their sandwich cut in half (47 percent), 27 percent said they prefer it whole and 17 percent like it cut in triangles. No crazy shapes needed!

Whether team white or wheat, cheese or no cheese, nearly 60 percent of kids said they would do their homework and clean their room for their favorite sandwich. That’s quite the bargaining chip you can add to your pocket!

As great as sandwiches may be, sometimes you need to add something else to the mix. If your toddler isn’t just a picky sandwich maker but a picky eater, check out these tried and true ways to introduce them to new foods. Plus, this guide on healthy food for toddlers will help you find great ideas for new lunch options.

save article
Article removed.
Name added. View Your List
ADVERTISEMENT

Next on Your Reading List

quaker oats recall 2024
Quaker Issues Recall of Various Products Due to Salmonella Risk
By Wyndi Kappes
baby sitting in high chair
When Can Babies Eat Eggs?
Medically Reviewed by Dina DiMaggio Walters, MD
apple cinnamon applesauce pouches recall 2023
Applesauce Pouches Tainted With Lead Sicken Over 50 Children, FDA Says
By Wyndi Kappes
ADVERTISEMENT
wrapped kraft singles american cheese recall
Why Over 83,000 Cases of Kraft Singles Have Been Recalled
By Wyndi Kappes
Packaged Baby Foods-hero
Best Baby Food: Jars, Pouches, Cereals and Snacks
By Martina Garvey
baby being fed baby food
Study Finds Heavy Metals Still Found in Popular Baby Foods
By Wyndi Kappes
gerber baby formula recall march 2023
Voluntary Recall Issued for Gerber Good Start SoothePro Formula
By Wyndi Kappes
ADVERTISEMENT
spoon in peanut butter jar
Earlier Intro of Peanuts Cuts Allergy Risk by 77 Percent, Study Says
By Wyndi Kappes
Enfamil ProSobee Simply Plant-Based Infant Formula Recalled
The Makers of Enfamil Recall 145,000 Cans of Plant-Based Formula
By Wyndi Kappes
mother feeding baby food to baby at home
The FDA Proposes New Limits on Lead in Baby Food
By Wyndi Kappes
ADVERTISEMENT
capri sun wild cherry pouches recall 2022
Capri Sun Recalls 230,000 Wild Cherry Pouches Over Contamination
By Wyndi Kappes
Amara baby food
Best Baby Food: Amara
By The Bump Editors
Dads feeding their baby, baby food at kitchen table.
U.S. Lawmakers Are Finally Introducing a New Bill on Baby Food Safety
By Nehal Aggarwal
ADVERTISEMENT
Three baby food jars of varying kinds.
FDA Announces New Actions to Reduce Toxic Elements in Baby Food
By Nehal Aggarwal
hands using blender to make healthy fruit based baby food
Pediatricians Weigh in: What to Know About Heavy Metals in Baby Food
By Dina DiMaggio, MD, and Anthony F. Porto, MD, MPH
Parent feeding baby spoonful of baby food while baby his its mouth open.
These Leading Baby Food Brands Contain High Levels of Toxic Metals
By Nehal Aggarwal
Summer barbecue vegetable kebabs foods to avoid when pregnant
Summer Foods to Avoid While Pregnant
By Cassie Kreitner
ADVERTISEMENT
how to protect child with severe allergies, mom and toddler outdoors
Top 5 Tips for Keeping Kids With Food Allergies Safe
By Dina DiMaggio, MD, and Anthony F. Porto, MD, MPH
happy baby eating solid foods in high chair
What Solids Should I Feed Baby, and When?
By Bonnie Vengrow
baby shark releases breakfast cereal
Baby Shark Cereal Swims Into Stores Next Month
By Stephanie Grassullo
ADVERTISEMENT
Article removed.