The Best Diapers for Your Baby
Whether you have a baby boy or a girl, if you breast or bottle feed, if your nursery is full of safari animals or nautical stripes, one thing is for certain: You’re going to need diapers. A lot of diapers. And if you—like roughly 95 percent of parents—have opted to go the disposable route, you probably need a little guidance on how to choose the best diapers for your growing family’s needs. While all disposables are designed to keep wetness and messes contained without irritating baby’s skin, not all nappies are created equal. Plus, there are always factors to consider, like cost, impact on the environment and skin sensitivities—to name just a few. Ready to start the search? Keep scrolling to get the lowdown on the best baby diapers.
With the wide variety of options out there, it can be tough to figure out which diapers are best for baby. Here are some things to ponder before hitting the ever-growing diaper aisle:
• Don’t buy in bulk—yet. Even the very best, top-of-the-line premium diaper might not be right for your newborn. Test them out before stocking up. (Think of it this way: While your friend might rave about how comfy her running shoes are, the very same sneaker might pinch your toes.)
• Look at comfort specifics. Diapers with a contoured fit and stretchy sides are the comfiest. Plus, a double-elastic sealing around the waist and legs will help prevent leaks.
• Consider sensitive skin. Some disposable diapers contain a light fragrance and/or a petroleum-based lotion that’s meant to moisturize and protect baby’s bottom. These add-ins, however, may irritate sensitive skin. If you’re concerned, look for diapers labeled “hypoallergenic,” “fragrance-free” and “dye-free.”
• Check for bells and whistles. Some diapers come equipped with wetness indicators, alerting you that baby requires a change. While experienced parents may not need this add-on, newbies might treasure the technology.
• Calculate the cost. Once you know what you and baby prefer, buy the largest box of baby diapers to garner the best value. (And don’t waste pricey, super-absorbent overnight diapers for daytime use.)
• Review the environmental impact. If you’re not going the cloth diapering route, but still want to be as eco-conscious as you can, look for keywords like “biodegradable materials,” “chlorine-free processing,” “made with renewable resources” and “minimal packaging.”
More than ever, baby-diapering options are vast. Here, our picks for the very best diapers around—no matter your need.
Can you tell we’re big fans of Coterie here at The Bump? Not only did they win a Best of Baby award this year, but many parents would agree that they’re the best diaper brand around—just look at all of those five-star reviews! Designed with high-quality Apex Technology, the baby diapers feel cloth-like for optimal comfort and to reduce leakage. Thanks to their high liquid capacity, they’re the most absorbent diapers around. To top it all off, this best diaper brand offers products that are hypoallergenic, dermatologist-tested and free of fragrance and dyes. Sign up for Coterie’s auto-renewal option to ensure that you always have these superior baby diapers on hand.
- Super-soft and ultra-absorbent to keep baby’s skin happy, healthy and free of diaper rash
- Features high liquid capacity for fewer leaks and longer sleeps
- Available in a wide range of sizes
- High price point
Pampers knows diapers—after all, they invented them—and today’s version is just as trusted as they were back in the 1950s, especially for newborns. Hypoallergenic Pampers Swaddlers are cuddly and cloth soft, which is great for new bottoms. Plus, they have a color-changing wetness indicator that’s useful to a new parent who may be questioning if it’s time for a diaper change. Swaddlers also sport a helpful divot at the waistband to make room for baby’s healing umbilical cord stump. If you have a preemie at home, know that Pampers are great for you too. Their Preemie Swaddlers are one of the best preemie baby diapers you can buy.
- Come in an array of sizes
- Hypoallergenic and free of parabens and latex
- Features hand-drawn animal illustrations for added cuteness
- If you’re not a fan of fragrance, keep in mind that these disposable diapers are baby powder-scented
Because infants wake frequently, there’s generally no pressing need for newborn-size overnight diapers. But once baby gets up to about 4 months old, these heavy-duty nappies may come in super-duper handy. Enter: Huggies OverNites Diapers, which lock-in leaks for up to 12 hours without irritating baby’s bum. There’s also a handy-dandy wetness indicator so you never do a just-in-case change only to find a dry diaper. Since overnight diapers are more costly than their daytime counterparts, save these for bedtime only.
- Provide all-night comfort and protection from leaks
- Features dry-touch liners, pillowy soft leg cuffs and wetness indicators
- Pricier option
- For nighttime use only
Next up in our roundup are the best diapers for sensitive skin. Aptly named Eco, these disposable diapers are pretty much as green as you can go without switching to cloth diapers. Instead of oil-based plastics, they contain a biodegradable cornstarch film that’s incredibly breathable and helps to stave off diaper rash. Ecos are also hypoallergenic and free of chlorine, formaldehyde, latex, fragrance, phthalates and other harmful ingredients to keep baby’s skin as happy and healthy as can be.
- Made from all-natural, FSC-certified wood pulp which is super absorbent
- Diaper subscription options are available for your convenience
- Relatively high price point
Looking for the best chemical-free diapers? We’ve got you covered. These eco-friendly diapers from Abby & Finn are free of chlorine, latex, dyes, fragrance and more; plus, they’ve been dermatologist-tested. They’re even made from sustainably sourced, plant-based materials so you can care for baby and the planet at the same time. Did we mention that these disposable diapers also feature a sweet woodland-inspired print? How cute!
- Soft, hypoallergenic and kind to sensitive skin
- Complete with elastic waists and anti-leak side cuffs for added protection
- They run narrow, so it’s recommended that you size up
- They don’t feature wetness indicators
If your adventurous little one loves to crawl or toddle, you’ll need a diaper that moves with baby. That’s where Huggies Little Movers Baby Diapers come in. Designed with a snug-fitting waistband and double-grip strips, you can count on these baby diapers to stay in place, no matter how energetic baby is. Plus, there’s a wetness indicator so you’ll know when it's time to change your kiddo, whether you’re at home or on the go.
- Free of fragrance, lotion, parabens, chlorine and latex
- Come in a wide range of sizes
- Contoured shape prevents leakage
- Some parents said that the diapers’ cotton pills easily, resulting in small fluff balls that can cling to clothing and other fabric
Moms adore Luvs for the price, but they wouldn’t keep going back if these baby diapers didn’t deliver on absorbency and comfort too. These no-frills nappies do a fab job protecting against leaks. thanks to the well-designed elastic sides and leg holes. Parents also love the fact that these diapers have extra-large tabs, making fastening and re-fastening easy. These bum-huggers do carry a distinct baby-like fragrance, so if you are looking for fragrance-free, Luvs won’t be your ideal cheap diaper.
- Affordable price point
- Features extra-large tabs for simplified changing experiences and triple leakguards for overnight protection
- Now made with wetness indicators for added ease
- Not fragrance-free
Enhanced with organic cotton, ultrasoft, non-toxic and sustainably made—this option checks all the boxes on our list for the best eco-friendly diaper. Each lightweight diaper is thoughtfully made in the EU with fewer, better materials for baby and the planet. As the only EWG-verified diaper on the market, you can be sure these bum-huggers are free from harmful chemicals. And just because these baby diapers are eco-friendly, it doesn’t mean they’re not also absorbent. Check out the moisture-wicking top sheet and patented core technology crafted from FSC-certified, chlorine-free wood pulp and polymer.
- Made from high-quality, plant-based materials
- Subscription option and wet wipe bundles are available for your convenience
- Super-thin and breathable design for optimal comfort
- Higher price point than other eco-friendly options
These Seventh Generation diapers are so very gentle on baby’s sensitive skin, thanks to what’s left out—dyes, petroleum-based lotions, fragrance and chlorine. What remains? A lot of gentle goodness, like an ultra-absorbent diaper core that’s made with sustainably sourced fluff to prevent leaks. Available in newborn to size 6, each nappy has a special uber-soft liner made with unbleached cotton to be safe on infant skin. Better yet, these eco-friendly diapers are also biodegradable.
- A more affordable price
- Free of lotions, fragrances and chlorine bleaching
- Sport cute, inspiring designs
- Don’t feature wetness indicators
- Some parents say that the cotton pills easily
Next up on our list of the best baby diapers: Amazon’s own brand, Mama Bear. These parent-approved disposable diapers have more than 28,000 five-star reviews, and we can see why. Each baby diaper offers a flexible yet absorbent design, complete with wetness indicators. What’s more, many caregivers say that these store-brand bum-huggers are great at stopping blowouts. Hypoallergenic and dermatologist-tested, they are also made with gentle ingredients that are free from irritating chemicals.
- Offer leakage protection, day and night
- Their newborn size features umbilical cord cutouts to protect baby’s belly button
- Provide a breathable outer layer to keep baby as dry as can be
- These baby diapers run small
- Some reviewers say that the diapers aren’t as soft as they expected
- Others mention that the price can fluctuate
As a parent, we know you have a million things on your to-do list. That being said, it can be easy to forget everything you and baby need during your everyday errands—even diapers. Enter: Our pick for the best diaper subscription service. Honest offers earth-conscious baby diapers made with safe, sustainable materials that are uber-absorbent. You’ll love how each disposable diaper features advanced leak protection, and baby will love the cloud-like comfort of wearing these top-notch nappies. Plus, these plant-based diapers work wonders for babies with sensitive skin. Now comes the hard part: Deciding which of the stylish prints you’ll choose to be included in your next subscription box! For 15 percent off your Honest purchase, be sure to use our discount code THEBUMP.
- Each subscription box comes with up to seven packs of diapers in the sizes and prints of your choosing, as well as wet wipes
- Designed with quilted bubble liners and quick absorb channels to efficiently draw wetness away from baby’s skin
- Some parents report leaking; make sure you’re choosing the right size for your growing child when ordering
In the process of potty training your tot? These training pants are sure to make life a whole lot easier. The potty training diapers will seamlessly slide on and off your little one, allowing them to learn how to answer nature’s calling like a big kid. And, in case of inevitable accidents, these plant-based pants are equipped with leakguards. An added bonus: These bamboo-viscose briefs are free of harmful chemicals and irritants, including latex, alcohol, perfumes, chlorine and more.
- Can be purchased as individual packs or as monthly subscription boxes, depending on your preference
- Available in a variety of sizes
- Higher price point than other brands