The Best Play Kitchen Sets for Tiny Chefs
When it comes to learning through play, a toddler kitchen set can work wonders. Toddlers naturally observe and try to mimic everything they see adults do—including cooking and cleaning. This instinct to imitate kicks in around the 18-month mark and by the time your little one turns 2, they’ll be ready to cook up a storm in a make-believe kitchen.
The best toddler kitchens encourage pretend play, which in turn helps kids meet major developmental milestones. “Pretend play encourages toddlers to explore their environment and make sense of the world around them, while discovering how they fit in it,” explains Lisa Lohiser, EdD, manager of Early Childhood Development Research at the Fisher-Price Play Lab. “There are many benefits to pretend play, including developing language skills, practicing social and problem-solving skills, as well as developing self-confidence,” continues Lohiser. What’s more, as they get busy in the kitchen, interactive features will help them observe and learn new colors, numbers and words. Admittedly, a toy kitchen set is an investment, but they’re also built to last and are large enough for siblings to play with together. In fact, large play kitchens that accommodate multiple kids can help to foster valuable skills such as sharing.
Ready to serve up some fun? Keep scrolling to discover our top tips on what to look for, then browse our pick of the best play kitchens on the market right now.
The best play kitchens are engaging, durable and safe to use. Here are a few factors to keep in mind when shopping for toy kitchen sets:
- Materials and design. A toddler kitchen set is something you’ll want to last for years to come, so look for one that’s made with high-quality, durable materials. Most play kitchens are made from wood or heavy-duty plastic—both of which offer different benefits. Wooden play kitchens are aesthetically pleasing and durable; whereas plastic sets are lightweight and easy to keep clean.
- Size Play kitchens take up a lot of room, so always measure your space and check the product dimensions before making a purchase. It’s also important to consider your child’s height in comparison to the toy kitchen set.
- Age appropriate. The best play kitchens are engaging, age-appropriate and, most importantly, safe. According to Lohiser, at the age of one toddlers can engage in basic imaginative role play like pretending to cook and serving up their creations to Mom or Dad. Even if they’re not quite at this stage of play, babies and tots can still sit and play in a toy kitchen set, which helps foster fine motor skills. “Eventually, all that exploratory play develops into pretend play as they grow and reach new milestones,” says Lohiser. To ensure a play kitchen is safe for your child’s age and stage of development, always check the manufacturer age guidelines.
- Interactive features and accessories. Interactive features—like swiveling knobs or light up stove rings—that mimic a real kitchen help keep playtime fresh and encourage new skills. Lohiser is a fan of play kitchens that double as activity toys as “sounds, phrases, shapes and colors have added benefits to aid children’s social, cognitive and physical development—while giving them even more to explore during playtime!” And when they’re pretending to serve you a meal, it’s handy to have toddler-sized pots, pans, play food, utensils and plates for them to incorporate into their imaginary play. But keep in mind that small play kitchen accessories may be unsuitable for children under the age of 3, as they could pose a choking risk.
- Assembly Lastly—to avoid a headache later on—check out the assembly required before buying. Most options require adult assembly, so if you’re not into DIY to recruit a building buddy to help put it together or opt for a pre-assembled play kitchen.
From minimalist fridges to retro-inspired ovens, these kids’ kitchen sets will make an aesthetically pleasing (and super-fun!) addition to any kiddo’s toy collection. Here, the best play kitchen sets that will inspire your tot to cook up a storm.
Encourage pretend play from a young age with this scaled down toy kitchen set by Fisher Price. It’s suitable for babies as young as 6 months and has tons of interactive features to keep them engaged up to the age of 3. The double-sided kitchen boasts an oven, stovetop, sink and a fridge complete with a shape-sorting activity. The best part? It recites the alphabet, plays songs and says phrases in Spanish and English for exciting bilingual play. Once playtime’s done you can store the accessories inside and fold the playset over for easy storage. Love the interactive features but looking for something a little bigger? Fisher Price has tons of options to choose from, including a double-sided Farm-to-Kitchen Kitchen Playset.
Age range: 6 months to 3 years | Dimensions: 9" (L) x 9" (W) x 12" (H) | Weight: 2.2 lbs. | Material: Plastic | Assembly required: No
- Five accessories included
- Plays 75+ songs and sounds
- Suitable for seated play
- It isn’t a full-sized play kitchen
Next up on our list of the best play kitchens is this interactive set by Step2. Designed with all the amenities of a real home, it includes a molded-in sink, a realistic stove top with lights and sounds, a pretend single-serve coffee maker for budding baristas and more! It also comes with 24 play kitchen accessories, so your little one can “prep” a meal, pop it in the oven then practice washing the dishes after dinner. There’s even a built-in pet feeding station, so they include their favorite stuffed animals in the make-believe fun. Built-in shelves, hanging hooks and storage bins make clean-up a breeze—trust us, the last thing any parent wants is to step on mini utensils strewn about the floor. Most importantly, it’s built to last thanks to the EverTough plastic material that’s designed to withstand the most rambunctious toddler games.
Age range: 2+ years | Dimensions: 12.5" (L) x 35.8" (W) x 40.9" (H) | Weight: 22.2 lbs. | Material: Plastic | Assembly required: Yes
- Interactive lights and sounds
- Includes 24 play kitchen accessories
- Made from durable EverTough plastic
- No pre-drilled holes
- Some parents said it was difficult to assemble
For expertly-crafted wooden play kitchens look no further than Milton & Goose. This aesthetically pleasing play kitchen has an oven with twistable knobs, functional cabinets and a sink complete with a turning faucet. Granted, these toys are on the pricey side but the heirloom-quality pieces are built to last. And, while many “wooden” play kitchens are made from MDF or plywood, this pick is hewn from Baltic birch and North American maple wood. Better yet, it can be assembled in three simple steps! Over time you can buy additional pieces like a refrigerator, back splash and play food to complete the look. Love the look but want to find a more budget-friendly option? Albee Baby is selling an open box version, which may have slight aesthetic imperfections, for 25 percent off.
Age range: 3+ years | Dimensions: 30" (L) x 13" (W) x 26" (H) | Weight: 55 lbs. | Material: Wood | Assembly required: Yes
- Minimalist aesthetic
- Manufactured in the US
- Solid wood construction and non-toxic finishes
- High price point
- Accessories sold separately
The Ikea play kitchen is iconic in its own right—and we can see why. Small yet perfectly formed, it fits right into a modern design aesthetic. The wooden frame includes a sunken sink, microwave, play oven and a stove top with lights that give off a realistic glow. Plus, the leg height can be adjusted to three positions, so it truly grows with your child. Looking for a custom play kitchen? Search online for “ikea play kitchen hacks” to get plenty of fun DIY projects using the Duktig.
Age range: 3+ years | Dimensions: 28"(L) x 15.7" (W) x 43" (H) | Weight: 39.1 lbs. | Material:Fiberboard, birch plywood, acrylic, polypropylene | Assembly required: Yes
- Minimalist design
- Light-up stove top
- Detachable sink for easy cleaning
- No kitchen accessories included
This market kitchen toy set offers the perfect setting for little ones to practice their budding chef skills! It comes with 20 play kitchen accessories, including pretend food, bowls, plates and utensils. And when it’s time to shut down shop there’s plenty of built-in storage space and hooks to house the tools of the trade. Your child can recreate their favorite recipes on the light-up stove, and add finishing touches to their plates on the countertop. This set also features a built-in chalkboard so your tot can showcase their eatery’s daily specials.
Age range: 2+ years | Dimensions: 25.5" (L) x 11.5" (W) x 32.3" (H) | Weight: 25 lbs. | Material: Plastic | Assembly required: Yes
- Light-up stove top
- 25 play kitchen accessories included
- Built-in chalkboard
- Once the decals are adhered they can’t be repositioned
How about a kitchen set for toddlers that fits neatly into a corner of your home? This L-shaped design by KidKraft has all the mod-cons, without taking up too much wall space. Plus, the sturdy wooden toy kitchen is packed with interactive features. The stovetop burners and ice maker both light-up and make sounds, the oven knobs turn and click and appliance doors open and close. Fabric curtains and a cordless phone add a homely touch, while wall-mounted pegs and open shelving offer plenty of storage space. So many fun features for little chefs to explore!
Age range: 3+ years | Dimensions: 42.5" (L) x 32.7" (W) x 36.6" (H) | Weight: 61.5 lbs. | Material: Wood, plastic | Assembly required: Yes
- It fits neatly into a corner space
- Interactive lights and sounds
- Cabinet and appliance doors open and shut
- Accessories sold separately
- Six LR44 batteries required
Looking for a one-and-done toddler kitchen set? This pick by Step2 comes with a whopping 78 accessories. From pretend food and dishes to cutlery, utensils and gadgets, your little one will have a fully stocked kitchen to play with. Not to mention the range of interactive elements! Realistic electronic features include stovetop lights and sounds, plus working oven and refrigerator lights. To keep their cooking space organized, the play kitchen features hanging hooks, shelving and an under-sink storage cabinet. And if messes occur, don’t cry over spilled milk! It can be easily wiped clean with a damp cloth and a household cleaner.
Age range: 3+ years | Dimensions: 65.75" (L) x 14" (W) x 50" (H) | Weight: 69 lbs. | Material: Plastic | Assembly required: Yes
- Comes with 78 play kitchen accessories
- Interactive gadgets, lights and sounds
- Plenty of built-in toy storage
- Parents say it took a long time to assemble
- Top shelf may be too high for small children to reach
Don’t like the look of traditional play kitchens? Check out this modern design by Teamson Kids. The bright blue cabinetry, white brick backsplash and gold hardware is contemporary and cool. But this isn’t all style over substance, the play kitchen has tons of interactive elements to engage little homemakers. The appliance doors, oven knobs and laundry dial are all fully functional. And this set comes with six play accessories: a cordless phone, spatula, pot, pan, lid and cutting board.
Age range: 3+ years | Dimensions: 34" (L) x 11.7" (W) x 37.2" (H) | Weight: 37.5 lbs. | Material: MDF | Assembly required: Yes
- Modern design
- Play kitchen accessories included
- Gender-neutral color scheme
- Some parents say it was difficult to assemble
If the thought of assembling a play kitchen fills you with dread, consider this option by Lalo. It takes as little as 5 minutes to build and no tools are required—phew! The unit itself is prebuilt, so all you have to do is attach the legs and faucet. Aside from the fact that it’s easy to put together, this toddler kitchen is fun, interactive and perfectly sized. It has twistable knobs, fully-functional doors and is built from a combination of high quality birch plywood and solid beech wood.
**Age range: 3+ years | *Dimensions:* 26.8" (L) x 11.8" (W) x 18.7" (H) | Weight:26.5 lbs. | Material: Birch plywood, beech wood, laminate | Assembly required: Yes
- Quality craftsmanship
- Tooless assembly
- Low counter height is accessible for young children
- Accessories sold separately
From the microwave with a clicking dial to the handy soap dispenser, we love all the details on this toddler kitchen set. It comes with various imaginative accessories, such as wooden storage jars, pretty plates and a gingham pot holder. Your child can keep track of needed ingredients on the built-in chalkboard, and their play kitchen accessories will stay organized in the set’s rattan baskets. Your little one can even start their own make-believe herb garden behind the sink with this play kitchen!
Age range: 18+ months | Dimensions: 26.3" (L) x 12.7" (W) x 36" (H) | Weight: 25.7 lbs. | Material: Rubberwood | Assembly required: Yes
- Sturdy wooden construction
- Built-in chalkboard
- Play kitchen accessories included
- Parts are not labeled which may make assembly difficult
This retro-inspired play kitchen is both adorable and fully functional (well, almost) with doors and cabinets that open and close, and knobs that click and turn. It also has plenty of storage space, a removal sink for easy cleaning and a cordless phone. One of the best parts about this kitchen toy set? It’s large enough to accommodate multiple kids. Available in red, pink and white too.
Age range: 3+ years | Dimensions: 33" (L) x 13.2" (W) x 35" (H) | Weight: 35.64 lbs. | Material: Wood | Assembly required: Yes
- Retro design
- Working knobs on oven and appliances
- Removable sink for easy cleanup
- Some parents say it’s difficult to assemble
Head into the backyard with this outdoor play kitchen by TP Toys. Made from FSC certified timber, this play kitchen with running water is buckets of fun. All your kiddo has to do to get the water flowing is pump the button next to the sink. Then they can use the stainless-steel utensil set to mix up a storm and record their recipes on the chalkboard. Dish of the day? Mudpies all round! As always, play close attention to your child outdoors and never leave them alone while playing with water.
Age range: 3+ years | Dimensions: 22" (L) x 13" (W) x 35" (H) | Weight: 17 lbs. | Material: Wood, stainless steel | Assembly required: Yes
- Working tap
- Kitchen play accessories included
- Pre-drilled holes and an easy slot frame construction
- Outdoor use only
- Limited reviews
Last up on our list of the best play kitchens is this double-sided design by Janod. Perfect for siblings, friends or solo play, this set has a kitchen on one side and a laundry room on the other. Made for hours of imaginary play, the cooking space has a clock with functional hands, a metal sink and a light-up stove with bubbling sound effects. On the opposite side, there’s a washing machine that emits soft sounds and a storage cubby for clean laundry. As if all that wasn’t good enough, we also love the curved, retro design aesthetic and pastel color palette.
Age range: 3 to 8 years |Dimensions: 21.7" (L) x 12.6" (W) x 35.6" (H) | Weight: 27.6 lbs. | Materials: Plywood, beechwood, mdf and stainless steel | Assembly required: Yes
- Suitable for multiple children
- Double-sided design
- Comes with eight play kitchen accessories
- Some parents had assembly issues
We get it—there’s a surplus of toys on the market, making it difficult to determine which playthings are the best fit for your family. To streamline your decision-making process, our goal is to do the bulk of the research for you, so you don’t have to spend hours scrolling through online retailers. We do this by considering a list of criteria when sourcing toy kitchens, including quality, durability, value and, last but definitely not least, safety. This way you can count on getting the best bang for your buck, while also having a dependable toy that’ll meet your child’s developmental needs.
To decide which toddler kitchen sets are the best options on the market, we leverage our familiarity with leading toy brands to make sure items are from reliable manufacturers. We read user reviews to get the lowdown on how these products work for kids, and typically don’t consider anything with less than an average four-star rating. To make sure we’re highlighting products that are engaging, educational and safe, we spoke with an early childhood expert to understand essential features and safety considerations to keep top of mind when you’re shopping. And since many of us are also parents, we rely on our writers’ and editors’ experience using items with their own families.
Interested in learning more about our editorial process? Read about how our team develops and reviews all articles here.
Lisa Lohiser, EdD, is a Fisher-Price Play Lab expert, where she provides insights into how kids learn and play and how to best support their development. She has a doctorate in education with a focus on learning and teaching in social contexts, as well as a Master’s degree in creativity and change leadership and a Bachelor’s degree in elementary education.
Navigate forward to interact with the calendar and select a date. Press the question mark key to get the keyboard shortcuts for changing dates.