Toddler Pedal Power: 12 Best Tricycles for Toddlers
A tricycle may have one less wheel, but toddlers love their three-wheeled rides just as much as teenagers love a new car. While you don’t have to worry about your insurance going up with a new toddler trike, you do need to worry about safety and durability when you’re shopping for a tricycle for kids.
Most parents start toddler tricycle shopping when their child is between 2 and 3 years old. Sure, tricycles are fun, but they also help toddlers with balance and coordination. Before your toddler rocks his new set of wheels you’ll want to go over this checklist.
- Safety. Look for a tricycle for toddlers that is made from sturdy materials like metal rather than plastic. Also, check out the steering to make sure it doesn’t tip over easily. Of course, no matter which toddler tricycle you choose, a helmet is a necessity.
- Pedal Power. Your toddler may have fallen in love with a pink tricycle, but can she reach the handlebars and the pedals? If there’s no pedal power, there’s no riding, which means there’s no fun! Make sure your toddler tricycle is practical and that she can ride it today, not six months from now.
- Finding the Right Type of Tricycle. If you thought a tricycle for toddlers was just a bike with an extra wheel, think again. When searching for the best tricycle for toddlers, there is a variety to choose from. Besides your basic three-wheeled bikes, two of the more popular toddler trikes are big wheel tricycles and push tricycles.
- Big wheel tricycles. Chances are you had one of these tricycles with your favorite character on it when you were little. A big wheel tricycle is one of those low-riding tricycles, generally made from plastic, with a huge oversized wheel in the front.
- Push tricycles. These are tricycles your parents probably wished they had when you were little. This gives mom or dad the option of pushing the toddler tricycle along when those little legs need a break or when they’re not quite ready to pedal. This beats actually having to carry the bike while keeping an eye on your toddler.
When it comes to finding the best tricycle for toddlers you want to make sure you’re not getting taken for a ride. You’ll want a high-quality toddler tricycle that also has some character to suit your child, which is why we’ve rounded up some of the best tricycles for kids on the market now.
Radio Flyer Red Rider Trike , $50, Amazon.com
You’ll be able to spot junior from a mile away when he’s riding the Radio Flyer Red Rider Trike. With a frame made of steel, this shiny red toddler trike is sturdy enough for any super tot. The seat is also adjustable, so it grows with your toddler. You shouldn’t have to worry about buying another toddler tricycle next summer unless there’s a major growth spurt!
- Easy to put together
- Covered storage bin
- Classic design
- Plastic wheels
Fisher-Price Rock, Roll ‘n Ride Trike , $55, Amazon.com
Who’s stylin’ on this tricycle for toddlers? This toddler trike is a favorite because it offers three different stages to grow with your child. Start with a rocker that locks into place. That rocker will convert into a push handle as junior learns to pedal. Eventually he’ll get his driver’s license to pedal alone.
- Teaches kids to ride gradually
- Clear assembly instructions
- Steering can be difficult for smaller children
- Foot rest is quite short
Schwinn Roadster Tricycle , $69, Amazon.com
Beep beep! everyone will see and hear your toddler as he zooms by on this toddler trike, which comes equipped with chrome handlebars, tassels and even a bell. This big wheel tricycle is built to last and your toddler will be the king or queen of the block!
- Adjustable, curved seat for comfort
- Heavy duty
- Smooth ride
- Easy to steer
- Height restriction of max height 38”
- Some kids find pedals heavy to push
Fisher-Price DC Super Friends Batman Lights & Sound Trike , $72, Walmart
When it comes to finding a tricycle for toddlers that’s built for a superhero, this is it. Although there’s no room for Robin, your little Batman will love the lights, music and Batman walkie-talkie on this big wheel tricycle. To the bat cave!
- Slip-resistant pedals
- Adjustable seat for growing kids
- Easy to assemble
- Made of plastic
- Not that durable
Radio Flyer Big Flyer Sport Trike , $74, Amazon.com
Every princess needs a pink tricycle, right? Now your princess can race to the castle with this big wheel tricycle for toddlers. The removable racing pennant on the back makes this toddler trike stand out from the competition…literally.
- Big wheel design for stability
- Adjustable seat
- Low to the ground to minimize fall injuries
- Plastic wheels may wear out quickly
Radio Flyer 4-in-1 Stroll ‘N Trike , $90, Amazon.com
Consider this the Mercedes-Benz of trikes when shopping for the best push tricycle for toddlers. It’s well worth the investment because it grows with your toddler! It converts from an infant trike to a steering trike all the way up to an independent toddler trike. Other bells and whistles include an adult steer and stroll with adjustable handle.
- Three-point harness for smaller children
- Easy to steer
- UV sunshade
- Rubber wheels
- Time consuming assembly
Little Tikes 4-in-1 Deluxe Edition Trike , $72, Amazon.com
When it comes to finding a push tricycle for toddlers, this one’s also a luxury ride. With all that comes with it, including foot rests, a seat belt and a detachable sun canopy, you’ll think you just bought a new car. Mom or dad can easily push toddler along with the adjustable handle until he graduates to steering on his own.
- Adjustable to accommodate four stages
- Five-point seat belt harness
- Cup holder and extra-large storage bucket
- Hard to follow assembly instructions
- Baby foot rest not ideal for all babies
Radio Flyer Fold to Go Tricycle , $42, Amazon.com
Did you know you could fold a tricycle for toddlers? Well, you can with this super-portable, space-saving model. If you’re going camping or on a road trip, just fold up this toddler tricycle and go.
- Comes fully assembled
- Easy to turn
- Adjustable seat
- May topple over on uneven surfaces
Huffy Disney Frozen Trike , $73, Amazon.com
Forget about building a snowman, toddlers will want to go for a ride on this Frozen tricycle for kids. The glitter- and snowflake-decorated wheels will have your toddler feeling like she’s pedaling straight to Elsa’s castle.
- Sturdy steel frame
- Easy assembly
- Wide wheels for stability
- Maximum weight 60 pounds
- May squeak a bit while riding
Fisher-Price Harley Davidson Tough Trike , $35, Amazon.com
Who’s bad to the bone on this toddler tricycle? The Harley-Davidson design will leave any toddler feeling too cool for school (or nap time). And don’t forget the secret storage container under the seat, perfect for stowing a helmet (and snacks)!
- Easy grip handlebars
- Rugged tires
- Fairly easy to assemble
- Made of plastic
- Pedals too far away for some kids
Radio Flyer Ride & Stand Stroll ‘N Trike , $127, Amazon.com
Two kids, one bike? No problem—this push tricycle for toddlers (and more!) has got you covered. Put the younger child in the front, where he can either pedal or relax, while the older child stands on the back platform. Mom or dad pushes from behind and everyone is riding in style together.
- Three-point harness
- Grows with child, great value
- Time-consuming assembly
- Bulky to transport
Joovy Tricycoo Tricycle , $107, Amazon.com
If you’re looking for a pink tricycle for toddlers with a removable push bar, have your toddler saddle up to this trike. She can go at her own pace and learn to pedal when she’s ready.
- Pedal lock allows kids to wheel or just ride
- Removable baby surround arms
- No strap to hold in child
- Made of plastic
When your child is ready for some pedal power, check out one of these best tricycles for toddlers. Remember safety first; always have your toddler wear a helmet. Happy riding!