The Best Toddler Scooters for Little Tykes
August 22, 2021
Searching for activities to tire out an energetic tot? Head outside, pop them a toddler scooter and watch them whiz around. Scooters (as well as bikes and tricycles) help kids develop strength, mobility and coordination skills—plus, they offer a fun way to get from A to B!
Generally, children 2 years old and up can learn to ride a toddler scooter, but there are also options with a transition seat that are designed for kids as young as one—making scooters an awesome option for toddlers of any age. The best toddler scooters are durable, adjustable, lightweight and, most importantly, safe. Need a little help to kickstart your search? Check out our top safety tips and browse our pick of the best scooters for little girls and boys.
It’s important to note that the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that children under 16 should not operate or ride on motorized or e-scooters. Here are the three types of scooters that are suitable for toddlers:
• Ride-on scooter. A ride-on scooter is the best option for young toddlers who are still finding their feet. This type has a removable seat and adjustable handle bars. Children can sit on a ride-on scooter and pedal with their feet until they’re ready to use it as a standing scooter.
• Three-wheel scooter. A scooter with three wheels (two at the front and one at the back) is the best option for 2- and 3-year-olds. Why? This type generally has a wide, stable base, making it easier for toddlers to keep their balance as they scoot along.
• Two-wheel scooter. A two-wheel scooter, also known as a kick scooter, has one wheel at the front and one at the back. This is perhaps the most common type of scooter, especially for tots with well-developed balance skills.
The best toddler scooters are cute, colorful, easy to use and—you guessed it–reliably safe. Here are the main safety considerations to keep in mind—plus, some key features to look out for.
• Protective gear. Tumbles and scrapes are inevitable, so all riders (big and small!) must wear protective gear when using a scooter. According to the AAP, protective wrist, elbow and knee pads should be worn, and helmets are particularly important for preventing and minimizing head injuries.
• Foot brake. The foot brake, also known as a rear fender brake, is a must-have safety feature for new riders. It’s positioned over the back wheel, making it easy to step on when kids need to slow down or stop.
• Steering system. Inexperienced riders can find it tricky to steer a scooter. The best toddler scooters have a “lean-to-steer” mechanism. Rather than moving the handlebars, toddlers lean in the direction they want to go to shift the wheels and turn the scooter. This steering system is easier for toddlers to grasp and can help prevent dramatic turns, which may result in falls.
• Wide foot deck. A wider foot deck (or base) helps toddlers maintain stability and balance while they ride. The foot deck should measure between 3.5 to 5 inches wide to comfortably accommodate little feet.
• Age-appropriate. Always read the brand’s age and weight guidelines to make sure the scooter is suitable for your child’s developmental stage.
• Supervision. Children under the age of 8 should be supervised while riding a scooter.
Ready to start your search? From jazzy light-up scooters to ride-on models that grow with your child, we’ve selected the best toddler scooters for boys and girls below.
Radio Flyer My 1st Scooter Sport Three Wheel Scooter
Beginner riders will be off to a flying start with this pick from Radio Flyer. The three-wheel toddler scooter boasts an extra-wide base and foot brake for added control. Plus, the specially designed turning radius provides additional safety without compromising on mobility. And with a $24 price tag, this model is a bargain to boot. Suitable for children 2 to 5 years old.
Buy it: $24, Walmart.com
Micro Kickboard Micro Mini 3-in-1 Deluxe
Searching for a scooter for a 1-year-old? The Micro Kickboard Mini 3-in-1 Deluxe may be the one for you. Suitable for ages 1 to 5, this clever option seamlessly converts from a ride-on toy to a mini kids scooter. It’s virtually indestructible with non-marking wheels, so your little one can even use it indoors at a gymnasium or local rec center. Plus, it comes with all the latest safety features, including adjustable handlebars, a stable three-wheel design and a lean-to-steer mechanism.
Buy it: $120, Maisonette.com
SmarTrike T1 Toddler Scooter
Here’s another smart option that grows with your child: The SmarTrike T1 toddler scooter. Two riding modes, beginner and advanced, let your kiddo go at their own pace. The journey begins as your child learns the scooting technique, with the toddler seat connected and the telescopic handlebar low. When your child is ready to move on, simply remove the seat, adjust the handlebar and enable the tilt-to-turn steering for fun freestyle riding. Bonus features like a cute accessory bag and light-up LED wheels make this a winner in our book. Available in pink and blue.
Buy it: $90, SmarTrike.com
YBIKE GLX Cruze Scooter
Older kids who’ve already mastered the art of balance may not need a toddler scooter with a seat. The YBIKE Cruze 3-wheel scooter is a great option for riders between the ages of 2 and 5. It’s super-lightweight with a curved handlebar and extra-wide wheels for added stability. Additional safety features include a non-slip, gripped foot deck and an easy-to-use rear brake.
Buy it: $80, buybuyBABY.com
Skip Hop Zoo 3-In-1 Ride On Toy
This unicorn-inspired ride-on scooter for toddlers is simply too cute. The three-stage design converts from an infant walker to a ride-on toy to a fully functional scooter, thanks to the removable seat and adjustable handlebars. Plus, your tot can press the button at the front for a headlight, melodies and a beep sound as they whizz along. Suitable for children 1 to 3 years old.
Buy it: $65, SkipHop.com
Micro Kickboard Foldable Mini Deluxe
This next pick, from the top-rated brand Micro Kickboard, is perfect for busy tots on the go. The three-wheel scooter ticks every box in terms of safety—with adjustable handlebars, an easy-to-use rear brake and a toddler-friendly “lean-to-steer” system. But the real standout feature is the nifty folding mechanism, which allows for easy transportation and storage. Available in pink or blue for children 2 to 5 years old.
Buy it: $110, MicroKickboard.com
Globber Go-Up Sporty Scooter with Lights
The best toddler scooters adapt to your kids’ needs. Case in point: The GO-UP Sporty by Globber. This sleek style offers ride-on, walking bike and scooter modes to complement your little ones’ developmental stage. We’re big fans of the screw-less design: All it takes is a click of a button to remove or insert the adjustable T-bar and toddler seat. Another cool feature? The LED front wheels that flash in red, green and blue. Recommended for ages 15 months to 6 years.
Buy it: $110, Maisonette.com
Decathlon Oxelo B1 500 Adjustable Kids’ Scooter with Light-Up Wheels
Next up is a top-rated toddler scooter by Decathlon. This three-wheeled B1 scooter has been specially designed with a physiotherapist to help toddlers and preschoolers master balance and coordination skills. The patented steering system, curved handlebar and wide foot deck meet the highest safety standards, while luminous, light-up wheels keep things playful. Bonus: The handlebar can be removed in seconds and fixed underneath the deck with a rubber strap for an easy storage solution.
Buy it: $60, Decathlon.com
Razor Wild Ones Kids’ Kick Scooter
The Razor Wild Ones junior is described as a “balance-building” scooter. It has two wide, slow-rolling wheels, which eliminate the need for a third wheel, meaning tots can ride a kick scooter just like a big kid. Plus, the foot deck is low to the ground with grip tape to maintain stability and teach correct foot placement. This scooter is suitable for children aged 30 months and up and comes in three cute, colorful designs.
Buy it: $40, Target.com
Scoot and Ride Highway Kick 1 Scooter
Here’s another awesome convertible option: The Highway Kick 1, which can be ridden with a seat like a tricycle or used as a traditional scooter. It’s super-easy to adjust the height and switch between the standing and sitting setting (no tools needed!). Better yet, a patented safety pad prevents forward falls, even in rough, bumpy terrain. Suitable for children 1 to 5 years old.
Buy it: $120, Maisonette.com
Chillafish Skatieskootie 2-in-1 Skateboard and Scooter in Red
Trips to the park will be totally tubular with the Skatieskootie—a toddler scooter that doubles as a skateboard. Designed for kids over the age of 3, this unique hybrid model has a wide four-wheel base and adjustable handlebars that are easy to take on and off. Plus, it comes with three interchangeable tails and deck plates for a cool, customized look.
Buy it: $60, buybuyBABY.com
Razor Jr. Lil’ Kick Scooter
Last up on our list is the Razor Jr. Lil’ kick scooter. Recommended for kids over the age of 3, this stable rider has three large wheels, a wide slip-resistant deck and a padded handlebar for added safety. With thousands of rave reviews on Amazon and an affordable price tag, this is one of the best toddler scooters we’ve seen.
Buy it: $35, Amazon.com