Q&A: What Are Endometriosis and HSG Tests?

I've just been diagnosed with endometriosis. I've opted not to get a lab yet, but I've heard about a test to see if my tubes are clear. Should I look into this or just wait? And can you tell me anything more about endometriosis?
ByDr. Joseph Hill
March 2, 2017
Hero Image

Endometriosis is a pathologic condition often associate with pain and infertility. There are no laboratory tests available to diagnosis this condition, so it must be diagnosed surgically.

Women with endometriosis who are struggling to get pregnant can undergo a structural study known as an  HSG (hysterosalpingogram). This diagnostic test can be performed in as little as five minutes. The procedure is associated with cramping, but ibuprofen can be used to ease the pain. During the test, radiocontrast media is injected through the cervix into the uterus. An x-ray is taken to examine the internal contour of the uterus and check whether the fallopian tubes are open.

Related Video

More from The Bump

Article removed.