8 Best Toddler Bedding Sets for Big Kid Bedtime
Making the transition from a crib to a toddler bed is an exciting milestone for both toddlers and parents. As your little one grows and becomes much more active and mobile, the right sleep space can cushion their next step into independent sleep and offer a seamless and comforting bridge between the snug confines of a crib and the “grown-up” world of a larger bed. And since that same environment can have a huge impact on the quality of their sleep, a cozy nest for them to rest and recoup through the night is the dream! Keep reading to learn all about what to look for in toddler bedding, and discover our top picks for the best sheets and comforters on the market for your little one.
“When it comes to choosing bedding for your toddler, you’ll want them to feel comfortable and cozy, but safety should always be the top priority,” says Anna McMillan, a certified sleep coach and founder of Little Winks Sleep. “While we want our kids to love their sleep space and bedding, it’s most important that it’s safe and warm enough for them.”
While safe sleep practices are a lot more prohibitive during a baby’s first year, most pediatric sleep experts still err on the side of caution when introducing loveys, blankets and pillows into a toddler’s sleep space. McMillan likes to use two years as the benchmark for safety, telling us “Two years old is a conservative age recommendation to introduce a flat, firm and hypoallergenic pillow. This is often when a larger, lightweight blanket or comforter can be added, as the sleep sack is transitioned out,” she notes. Of course, “when the weather gets colder, a heavier blanket can be added,” but you’ll want to avoid weighted blankets altogether. Loose or heavy bedding can pose suffocation hazards, and small components or decorative items like buttons, zipper closures or loose threads that can detach from bedding could present choking or smothering risks.
When in doubt, always defer to the manufacturer’s age recommendations and instructions for safe use!
McMillan says there are a few key characteristics to prioritize, to ensure your little one “associates sleep with a positive, warm and inviting space.”
- Safety. Look for bedding that’s specifically designed for toddlers and that meets all proper safety guidelines. Check that the product (be it a fitted or flat sheet, a duvet or a comforter) has been manufactured and tested in accordance with established safety standards and regulations—courtesy of ASTM International (American Society for Testing and Materials) or the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)—to minimize risks of accidents, injuries and/or health hazards.
- Fit. If you’ve changed a toddler’s diaper before, you’re probably well-versed in their flopping and flailing contortions. How they sleep isn’t much different, and that’s why you’ll want to purchase quality bedding that’s not only durable, but suitable for their respective sleep space. Once your child has transitioned to a toddler or even a twin bed, their mattress should fit snugly within their bed frame and there should be no gaps that leave them vulnerable to entrapment. Opt for fitted sheets that match the size of the mattress (toddler sheets usually measure 28 inches by 52 inches) and sport elastic corners that secure them in place and prevent them from slipping or bunching up. “Much as you would choose the appropriate size bedding for your bed, you will want to make sure the bottom sheet is made for your toddler’s bed size and fits snuggly around the mattress,” cautions McMillan. Likewise, “if their blanket or comforter is too small, they may wake up trying to re-position it, and if it’s too large, they might find it hard to navigate” in the middle of the night, she says.
- Quality of Materials. Okay, so your toddler probably has no idea what Egyptian or Pima cotton means or how important thread count or type of weave [of their sheets] is to the quality of their sleep—but they do know what feels comfy and cozy (and if they’re feeling both, they’re a lot more likely to stay asleep and stay in bed!). The quality of materials used in toddler bedding is crucial for both comfort and durability, so keep an eye out for bedding made from soft, breathable fabrics like 100 percent cotton or bamboo. Both provide optimal airflow and, according to McMillan, “using temperature-appropriate bedding also biologically helps your child have a deeper and better sleep as their core temperature affects the quality of sleep.” If your little one has allergies or skin sensitivities (which is common in toddlerhood, overall), you’ll also want to side-step any rough or synthetic fabrics that might include harmful chemicals and could cause discomfort or irritation. Organic cotton and bamboo are great choices for their softness, breathability and moisture-wicking capabilities—see you later, night sweats!
- Ease of cleaning. The Asthma and Allegy Foundation of America recommends washing your bed sheets at least once a week. But for toddlers, who are a lot messier (and prone to sickness or accidents), that once-a-week rate is stretching it. Easily laundered bedding is an absolute must. Choose toddler bedding crafted from machine-washable materials like cotton, cotton blends or microfiber; not only are they durable, they’re also able to withstand regular washing without sacrificing quality. Sheets and comforters featuring colorfast dyes that promise not to fade or bleed during spin cycles are helpful, as are bedding options that come treated with stain-resistant finishes or built-in technology that makes it easier to remove common stains, spills or accidents.
- Aesthetics. Style in toddler bedding shouldn’t be overlooked, but McMillan encourages parents to strike a balance between appealing design and simplicity, especially as the developmental needs of young children are concerned. A streamlined and not overly-stimulating sleep environment can help establish a consistent bedtime routine (particularly for littles who might struggle with transitions), signaling to your toddler that it’s time to wind down and close their eyes to sleep. Even at 12 months, young toddlers are still developing their sensory perceptions, so ultra-colorful or character-heavy bedding can lead to sensory overload and make it more challenging for them to relax and drift off to sleep. Neutral or naturally-calming colorways, instead, can create a much more soothing sleep space. Plus, there’s also so much to be said for versatility and how neutral palettes, patterns and prints really do grow with your child. Don’t shy away from involving your child in the selection process—it’s a great way to foster their evolving sense of self—you can always offer them choices within a predetermined range you find acceptable (if you’re still worried about overwhelming their senses ahead of their bedtime). This way, you can be sure the bedding is visually on-point and engaging for your child, while also promoting healthy sleep habits. Additionally, as your toddler’s preferences evolve, you can gradually introduce changes to the bedding to accommodate their growing personality, moods and interests.
Here are some of our favorite brands and online stores that are stacked with a wide range of toddler bedding on offer:
- Pottery Barn Kids. If you’ll be doing a full-scale room design for your toddler, then Pottery Barn Kids is exactly where you’ll want to start. The retailer understands that every parent wants to create a cohesive and harmonious space for their child, and that involves much more than just bedding (although, that’s the pièce de résistance, right?). That’s why the site is flush (or should we say plush) with decor items that match the most popular bedding designs. From stylish furniture pieces to enchanting lighting options, adorable wall art and playful rugs, Pottery Barn Kids offers a complete range of coordinating decor items that make it effortless to design a thoughtful, stylish and functional toddler’s room—the boy and girl assortments are especially swoon-worthy. And even better, you can filter the choices to show OEKO-certified or organic only.
- Amazon. If variety is your goal, when it comes to both style and budget you can’t find a better place to shop for toddler bedding. From cozy sheets to soft blankets and pillows, you can find everything you need to create a comfortable and safe sleep environment for your child. Whether you’re looking for whimsical patterns, gender-neutral designs or themed bedding featuring your child’s favorite characters (Bluey and Bingo or Anna and Elsa? Of course, they’re there!), the lightning-fast-turnaround-site has it all, and you can easily find bedding that matches your child’s personality and interests.
- Crate & Kids. If modern toddler bedding is more your thing, you’ll find it in spades at Crate and Barrel’s childrens’ line, Crate & Kids. Their impressive range lets you explore different color themes and palettes to create or curate the most visually-captivating room for your tiny and a modern aesthetic to meet your contemporary tastes. Whether it’s a classic, chic or whimsical vibe you’re after, you can choose from fresh, on-trend, sustainable/eco-conscious and premium-quality designs.
Bedtime routines play a fundamental role in flagging to your child that it’s time to wind down and prepare for sleep. Consciously incorporating beloved bedding into that sleepytime, slow-down phase can help create a sense of comfort and security, and make the transition from playtime to rest smoother and more enjoyable. Ready to start shopping? Keep reading for some of the best toddler bedding options around.
Twinkle twinkle, little star… with unmatched softness, a complete set of bedding essentials (including a duvet cover, fitted and flat sheet and pillowcase) and the most calming colorways in sight (neutrals from garden green and mist blue to brulee brown and elegant pink), the Supersoft Pampas Organic Cotton Guaze Toddler Duvet Bedding Set is a standout in both comfort and style. The double-layer weaving technique enhances breathability, creating pockets of air that provide just the right amount of warmth for a comfortable sleep environment. But our favorite part is the starry, hand-illustrated print that creates the ultimate soothing atmosphere, devoid of overwhelming stimulation. It was truly designed with your toddler’s sleepytime in mind.
Cleaning Instructions: Machine-wash cold, tumble dry
Dimensions (duvet cover): 36" (L) x 50" (W) | Dimensions (fitted sheet): 28" (L) x 52" (W) | Dimensions (flat sheet): 45" (L) x 65" (W) | Dimensions (pillowcase): 12" (L) x 18" (W) | Material: 100 percent cotton
- Materials grown without pesticides
- Breathable and cool to the touch
- Purchase as a set or separately
- Toddler duvet insert is sold separately
A great comforter is one that takes safety, comfort, durability and design into account—and that’s precisely what the Gooselings Bird’s Song Toddler Duvet does. Made from premium materials (sateen-weave, OEKO-TEX certified cotton) that are gentle on your child's delicate skin, its lightweight, yet cozy construction ensures that your little gosling feels comfortably snug without feeling weighed down. And the dedication to craftsmanship shines through, as the duvet and insert are meticulously crafted to withstand the daily adventures of toddlerhood. The subdued tone of the grey colorway, like McMillan suggests, provides a calming ambiance and promotes relaxation and serenity as your toddler settles in for a restful night's sleep.
Cleaning Instructions: Duvet insert: Wash in hot water with enzyme-free detergent and tumble dry Sheets and covers: Wash inside out in warm water with like colors, tumble dry low
Dimensions: 35" (L) x 50" (W) | Material: Sateen-weave cotton and down
- Packaged in a tote bag
- Discreetly-placed zipper
If you’ve been a fan of muslin since your infant crib sheet days, then you probably already have Little Unicorn on your radar. If not, though, allow us to introduce you to Little Unicorn’s brand-new toddler bedding options—their much-loved crib sheets, available fitted to a standard-sized toddler mattress. The high-thread-count muslin fabric ensures a soft and gentle touch against your child's delicate skin, while its lightweight and breathable qualities help regulate their body temperature and wick away moisture. Beyond the high scores in style, the sheets—which come in an applaudable range of ethereal neutrals and magical prints like dinosaurs and mermaids—couldn't be easier to care for. With each wash, the fabric becomes even softer, creating a luxurious and gentle feel that your little one will love and you’ll hug and snuggle every time you’re doing laundry and missing your mini.
Cleaning Instructions: Machine-wash cold with like fabrics and tumble dry on low setting
Dimensions: 28" (L) x 52" (W) | Material: 100% cotton
- Offered in playful prints and signature solids
- Sold alongside coordinating pillowcases, comforters and in 3-piece sets
- Limited availability
If your little one is the type to go ga-ga for unicorns and shooting stars, this one is sure to captivate their attention. This is the toddler bedding set for girls or boys who dream of fairytale adventures or frolicking in a garden of flowers—with this adorable set your tiny trendsetter won’t need anything to nudge them off to the land of nod. The reversible quilt is crafted from 100 percent lyocell fabric, known for its hypoallergenic properties. And if it’s not the soft matte finish (adding an overall plushness and comfort to the bedding) that’ll ensure your little one rests peacefully all night long, it’s the 100 percent organic cotton percale that’s unrivaled in its softness and tenderness.
Cleaning Instructions: Machine-wash cold on gentle cycle and tumble dry on low heat
Dimensions (quilt): 36" (L) x 50" (W) | Dimensions (flat sheet): 45" (L) x 65" (W) | **Dimensions (fitted sheet): 26" (L) x 53" (W) | *Dimensions (pillowcase):* 16" (L) x 24" (W) | Material (quilt): Lyocell (outer); polyester (batting) | Material (sheet set): 100% cotton
- Several coordinating pieces
- Waterproof mattress pad available
- Quilt is stitched by-hand
- Sold as separate items, not a complete set
As the mom of three, including two rambunctious boys, I've become experienced with wrangling boundless, unbridled energy at bedtime. That’s why I’ve gone with calming colors in my boys’ bedding sets from day one. Brooklinen’s Toddler Collection, for example, sports a number of soothing blue shades, making it an ideal choice for turned-up tots who may need a bit of help winding down at bedtime. You can also mix and match designs for the duvet, fitted sheet and pillowcase. This level of customization allows you to create a personalized and unique look for your little one’s bedding that reflects their individual interests and preferences. The super soft 100 percent long-staple cotton—that you might know and love already if you’ve been a Brooklinen loyalist for some time—can’t hurt with any tuck-in troubles, either!
Cleaning instructions: Wash on a cool or warm cycle, line dry or tumble dry low
Dimensions (fitted sheet): 28" (L) x 52" (W) | Dimensions (duvet cover): 37" (L) x 51" (W) | Dimensions: (pillowcase): 12" (L) x 18" (W) | Material: 100% cotton
- OEKO-TEX certified
- No buttons, zippers or decorative closures
- 10 different prints and patterns
- Only meant for a toddler bed (not a twin or full)
- Significant savings if you bundle
Unlike bedding that screams “kiddie,” this set from Nestig—the form-and-function-obsessed brand responsible for creating some of the world’s most elevated, modern cribs—embraces a more contemporary aesthetic, seamlessly integrating into a modern nursery or toddler bedroom. First things first, let’s talk neutral and versatile color palettes: The colors chosen for the Toddler Flutter Sheet Set are carefully selected to be gender-neutral and adapt to various design schemes. Whether you prefer a minimalist, Scandinavian-inspired nursery or a more vibrant and eclectic room, these neutral colors will complement any style. The organic cotton jersey fabric makes this modern bedding soft and inviting, while the high-quality material lends itself to durability that’ll withstand all the wear and tear of toddlerhood. The best part of this handsomely-modern set, though? You can add on a quilt or a pillow insert, a la carte.
Cleaning instructions: Machine wash, tumble dry
Dimension (fitted sheet): 28" (L) x 52" (W) | Dimensions (pillowcase): 12" (L) x 18" (W) | Material: 100% cotton
- Not overly-stimulating aesthetic
- Handmade in Brazil
- Full-refund returns within 60 days
- Longer delivery time
If you’re on the lookout for a brand that truly stands out for rigorous certifications, MakeMake—well, makes total sense. The company puts your child's health and safety on the top of their priority list, ensuring that every product on their site meets GOTS certification, and carefully selecting organic fibers that are grown and harvested without the use of harmful chemicals or pesticides. Your little’s bedding is not only safe, but the 100% organic cotton (in the shell and fill) makes for a soft, comfortable and breathable comforter. And that's before we even get to the adorable rainbows!
Cleaning instructions: Machine wash gentle, tumble dry low, remove promptly
Dimensions: 44" (L) x 60" (W) | Material: 100% cotton
- GOTS certified fabric
- Twin size available for larger beds
Retailing for $17, the Pillowfort Solid Cotton Kids Sheet Set includes a fitted sheet, flat sheet and matching pillowcase (in six bright and sunny colorways)—making it a fitting ensemble for your toddler’s sleep space at an incredibly budget-friendly price. The fabric is made of brushed, 100% cotton with a 220-thread count, so rest assured that the low price doesn't come at the expense of softness and breathability. As for care and maintenance? The sheets are machine-washable, and can be thrown into the wash any time you want (without compromising their durability). And if you want to complete the look and level up your toddler’s coziness, Target offers the option to purchase a compatible comforter at an affordable price. Coordinating a stylish bedding build-out that doesn’t break the bank has never been easier.
Cleaning instructions: Machine wash, tumble dry
Dimensions (fitted sheet): 28" (L) x 52" (W) | Dimensions (flat sheet): 45" (L) x 60" (W) | Material: 100% cotton
- Toddler-friendly colorways
- OEKO-TEX certified
- Additional pieces sold separately
- No neutrals
These days, choosing the best toddler bedding can feel like navigating through a sea of options. But worry not, because we’ve done the work to streamline your purchasing decisions (and, most importantly, ensure your little one’s comfort and safety once and for all).
We’ve researched and considered important factors such as size, material, ease of use, affordability and, most importantly, safety. We also consulted a pediatric sleep expert to see to it that our recommendations align with the best practices for promoting quality sleep. We also read user reviews and thoroughly analyze each bedding option, top to bottom (or should we say headboard to footboard?) to find out how these products worked for real families, and typically don’t consider anything with less than an average four-star rating.
Interested in learning more about our editorial process? Read about how our team develops and reviews all articles here.
Anna McMillan, certified sleep coach and owner of Little Winks Sleep is a mom of three and passionate about healthy sleep. After being a respite foster parent and having her own children, she saw the need for attachment and science-based sleep help for families who desperately needed more of it. Five years later, Anna and her team have been able to help over 2000 families through 1:1 coaching and intensive, widely-received online courses.
Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, Are You Controlling Allergens in Your Bedroom?, April 2019
Navigate forward to interact with the calendar and select a date. Press the question mark key to get the keyboard shortcuts for changing dates.