The Best Toddler Floor Beds to Promote Independence
Is your little sleepyhead ready to transition to a big-kid bed? If you’re a fan of Montessori-inspired designs, a toddler floor bed is the way to go. Unlike typical toddler beds, these options feature mattresses that are flush with the ground. The result? A sleeping spot that’s easy for little ones to get in and out of independently, which comes with a number of advantages. Below, read the benefits of Montessori floor beds and shop our top picks.
In this article:
Overall best toddler floor bed
Best toddler floor bed with rails
Best playful toddler floor bed
Best simple toddler floor bed
Best rustic toddler floor bed
Best splurge-worthy toddler floor bed
Best tent toddler floor bed
In line with the spirit of Montessori-style learning, toddler floor beds inspire autonomy in children by allowing them to have free movement in their sleep space, says Rachel Mitchell, a certified sleep specialist and the founder of My Sweet Sleeper. By having a Montessori floor bed, children will be able to establish independence in their sleep routine, which in turn can boost their confidence and allow for parent bonding and closeness. Another advantage? Toddlers can easily get in and out of these designs by themselves, which can promote their growing sense of freedom, says Jillian Thistel, a certified pediatric sleep consultant and founder of Twinkling Stars Pediatric Sleep Consulting in Ontario, Canada. This can be helpful as tots become more curious about their surroundings; it allows them to explore at their own pace.
Toddler floor beds also provide several benefits when it comes to easing the transition between a crib and a big-kid bed. The low design offers a middle ground that can help little ones adjust to sleeping in a bed, before making the transition to a standard-sized option, says Thistel. Plus, if parents are concerned that their child may roll out of bed as they adjust to the new sleep space, these designs pose a much lower risk. They’re also great for tots who’ve started to climb out of their cribs, but aren’t quite ready for a full-size bed, adds Mitchell.
Sleep safety is just as important for tots as it is for babies. There isn’t a definitive age at which a child can start using a Montessori floor bed, but it typically is safe for a toddler to do so around the 18- to 24-month mark, says Mitchell. However, each child reaches milestones at a different pace, meaning developmental readiness needs to be considered first and foremost. If your child is under the age of 2, Thistel advises parents to continue using a crib mattress. For tots of any age, keep the following tips top of mind when introducing a toddler floor bed to your home:
- Consider placement. Ensure the bed is away from any potential hazards, such as walls, cords, outlets or hanging pictures on the walls, says Thistel.
- Childproof the bedroom. Since your child will have more freedom and mobility with a toddler floor bed, Thistel and Mitchell both recommend thoroughly childproofing the room beforehand. This may mean covering electrical outlets, anchoring furniture to the wall and removing any potential choking hazards.
- Create safe surroundings. Thistel also suggests that parents extend childproofing to the surroundings of their toddler’s bedroom, in case they get up and leave their room during the night. For instance, if your child’s room is near stairs, be sure to install a gate to prevent accidental falls.
From minimalist, Scandinavian-influenced frames to cozy, camp-like sleep spots, there’s a wide range of toddler floor beds available. To find the best fit for your family’s needs, consider the following as you shop.
- Safety. First and foremost, you’ll want to make sure the toddler floor bed you choose is safe for your child. To do so, make sure it aligns with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) guidelines, and check that it hasn’t been recalled for any reason. During assembly, follow the instructions carefully to ensure that it’s sturdy and safe for slumber, adds Thistel.
- Rails. If your child tends to roll over when they sleep, or you’re worried about them falling out of their bed, consider a toddler bed with rails. While not all designs offer them, guardrails can add an extra layer of protection that some kids may require.
- Simple designs. When it comes to aesthetics, Michell recommends going as simple as possible. Some parents may even choose to forgo the bed frame and just place a mattress on the floor, she adds.
Now that you know all the developmental benefits and safety tips, you’re well-equipped to pick out the best toddler floor bed for your little dreamer. Here, discover our favorite options on the market for every style and budget.
Overall Best Toddler Floor Bed
First up on our list of the best Montessori floor beds for toddlers is this pick from South Shore. The simple Scandinavian design resembles a house and comes in several modern colorways, including white, black, pink and natural wood. It offers the perfect spot for a tot-sized mattress, and the frame can even accommodate a box spring for a platform-style bed when your child gets a bit older. What’s more, you can rest assured knowing it is CPSC-compliant.
- Minimalist, Scandinavian design
- Available in several modern colors
- Assembly required
- Doesn’t feature railings
Best Toddler Floor Bed With Rails
It’s easy to see why this toddler floor bed with rails has hundreds of five-star reviews. The twin-sized bed frame is made from premium pine wood, resulting in a durable, sturdy sleeping spot for your little one. Better yet, it’s equipped with a protective railing to ensure your kiddo stays safe as they slumber, and a child-sized gate so that they can still get in and out of the bed with ease.
- Features railings and a gate for added safety
- Made from durable pine wood
- Assembly required
Best Playful Toddler Floor Bed
Thanks to its playful shape and safety guardrails, this floor bed for toddlers offers the best of both worlds. It features an opening to support your child’s growing independence and mobility. Plus, fun details like the bed’s fencing and chimney are sure to nurture your little one’s imagination. Choose from white, espresso or gray pine wood to match the aesthetic of your kiddo’s bedroom.
- Features guardrails
- Playful details like a chimney and fencing
- Heavier than other options
- Assembly required
Best Simple Toddler Floor Bed
On the hunt for a simple Montessori floor bed? This design from Little Colorado is sure to check all of the boxes on your list. The minimalist bed frame was created to help tots improve their blossoming self-reliance and motor skills—all while giving them a safe space to explore. The durable floor bed for toddlers is made from birch wood, and is available in several natural colorways. Better yet, it fits a standard-sized crib mattress, making the transition to a big-kid bed all the more seamless.
- Simple design encourages safe exploration
- Frame fits a standard crib mattress
- Assembly required
Best Rustic Toddler Floor Bed
If you’re creating a rustic bedroom for your kiddo, you can’t go wrong with this Montessori floor bed with rails. The house-like frame has an open concept to inspire independence, while also equipped with railing on three sides for your little one’s safety. Plus, thanks to the neutral wood design, it will seamlessly align with any aesthetic you have in mind.
- Playful, open house-like structure
- Features guardrails on three sides
- Made from FSC Certified renewable resources
- Assembly required
- You’ll want to tighten hardware regularly
Best Splurge-Worthy Toddler Floor Bed
This sweet Montessori floor bed would be the perfect addition to a dreamy boho-chic room. Your little one will love how this pick comes in the shape of a house, and you’ll love how it’s available in two contemporary finishes: natural wood and white. An optional cotton canopy (complete with windows and a front door) can also be ordered with this design. This way, your kiddo will have a cozy hideaway to retreat to when they’re snoozing, daydreaming or just need a bit of alone time. Best of all? Assembly is included with the delivery of this toddler floor bed, so your child can have a big-kid bed in no time.
- Made from solid poplar wood GREENGUARD Gold Certified and made in a Fair Trade Certified facility
- Cotton canopy creates a cozy hideaway for tots
- Assembly provided with delivery
- Heaviest option on our list
- High price point
Best Tent Toddler Floor Bed
Last but not least on our list of the best floor beds for toddlers is this pick from P’kolino. The unique structure is shaped like a tent and features a fabric cover, so every night can be a campout. Your little one will love getting into this imaginative sleep spot each evening and discovering fun details like the window and the front door that can be rolled up and down. Better yet, reviewers say that this toddler floor bed is straightforward to assemble.
- Imaginative tent design
- Machine-washable fabric cover
- Made from 100 percent FSC Certified pine wood
- Assembly required
We get it—parenting requires a lot of gear, and it can be hard to find the best fit for your family. To streamline your decision-making process, our goal is to do the bulk of the research for you, so you don’t have to spend hours scrolling through online retailers. We do this by considering a list of criteria when sourcing products, including ease of use, quality and durability, value, style and, last but definitely not least, safety. This way you can count on getting the best bang for your buck, while also having a dependable product that will meet your family’s needs.
To decide which products are the best options on the market, we leverage our familiarity with leading brands to make sure items are from reliable manufacturers. We read user reviews to get the lowdown on how these products work for families, and typically don’t consider anything with less than an average four-star rating. And since many of us are also parents, we rely on our writers’ and editors’ experience using these products with their own families.
To make sure we’re highlighting products that are safe and effective, we chatted with two pediatric sleep consultants to understand essential features and safety considerations to keep top of mind when you’re shopping. We also follow the safety recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and look for certifications and seals of approval from key organizations like the CPSC.
Interested in learning more about our editorial process? Read about how our team develops and reviews all articles here.
About the experts:
Jillian Thistel is a certified pediatric sleep consultant in the Greater Toronto Area in Ontario, Canada. She is a member of the Association of Professional Sleep Consultants and founder of Twinkling Stars Pediatric Sleep Consulting.
Rachel Mitchell, is a certified sleep specialist and former night nanny based out of Denver, Colorado. She is also the founder of My Sweet Sleeper, a business that provides pediatric and maternity sleep consulting services and coaching sessions.
Plus, more from The Bump: