The Best Pumping Bras to Free Up Your Hands
Nursing requires a lot of energy, time, dedication and patience, and it can sometimes feel like a full-time job. But turning to a pumping bra might just be your new time-saving solution. Made to support your breasts and hold pump flanges in place, a hands-free pumping bra lets you multitask while expressing milk (and without worrying about losing a single drop)—a total game-changer. No matter how you spend your day—-at home, on the road or in the office—your time is valuable. Whether you’re looking for a pumping bra that easily slips on and off or one you can wear throughout the day, we’ve got you covered. Read on to find the best pumping bra to suit your needs, as well as some tips for what to look for when shopping.
In this article:
Overall best pumping bra
Best nursing and pumping bra
Best size-inclusive pumping bra
Best clip-on pumping bra
Best zippered pumping bra
Best Velcro pumping bra
Best massaging pumping bra
Best cooling pumping bra
Best affordable pumping bra
Like most intimates, hands-free pumping bras are not always one-size-fits-all, as you’ll need to find one that offers the correct amount of support, comfort and versatility for your needs. When shopping, look for certain features that can help you find the best pumping bra for you:
- Level of support. Breast size and fullness increase when you’re lactating, so it’s doubly important to find a pumping bra that comfortably supports your breasts.
- Proper fit. It’s important to ensure a proper flange seal so your pump stays put and your suction power stays high. Look for size-adjustable pumping bras that can meet your needs.
- Pump compatibility. Be sure that all openings and closures fit your specific breast pump and all of its accessories.
- Materials. Fabric plays an important factor for long wear and easy washing. Soft, breathable, stretchy materials that still offer support are ideal.
With this information in mind, check out our top picks for the best pumping bras that keep your hands free to tackle other tasks.
Designed in collaboration with a lactation consultant, this bra from Bodily was made to empower women to tackle their day, whether they’re pumping, nursing or simultaneously doing both—so it truly lives up to its name. The smooth, soft, stretchy non-toxic OEKO TEX-certified fabric is great for all-day wear but supportive enough to hold your pumping parts securely in place. Highly adjustable, the bra features an extended back closure and sliders to tighten the fit during pumping sessions and loosen for the rest of your day, as well as shoulder straps that convert to racerback style for added support. Front clips allow for easy nursing access, but thanks to the clever flange slits (instead of additional bra layers), this pumping bra feels sleek and bulk-free. In fact, all of these outstanding features earned it a Best of Pregnancy award!
- Offers comfortable all-day wear, so you don’t have to switch bras
- Compatible with all leading breast pumps
- Can be worn during pregnancy and every stage of breastfeeding
- Non-black colors stain easily
Breastfeeding moms have plenty to do in the day, so to not have to change bras every time you want to nurse or pump is a huge time-saving convenience. The Sublime hands-free pumping bra has two clip-down front layers: One reveals flange slits that hold your pump parts in place, and another releases the fabric for easy nursing access. The bra is designed for maximum support while still providing some stretch, and the hook-and-eye back closure allows you to adjust the fit. Better yet, the bra comes in a whopping 12 sizes, from small to XXXL with “busty” sizes available to boot.
- Compatible with all leading pumps
- Inclusive sizing
- Hand-wash only
- Some users say the straps can be scratchy
With seven sizes (XS-PP) that accomodate 30A to 36H, the Rose 2.0 nursing and pumping bra is one of the most size-inclusive options on the market. (It’s also one of the prettiest, in our opinion!) Pump flanges slip into cleverly concealed slits and a clip-down front offers breastfeeding access so you can nurse, pump or do both. It features an impressive four inches of hook-and-eye closures so you can adjust for the perfect fit. Plus, detachable straps can be used in a racerback crisscross for extra support when you need it.
- Inclusive sizing and highly adjustable
- Compatible with all leading breast pumps
- Lace detailing elevates the look
- Some users say the band can be uncomfortable
This pumping bra accessory from Bravado securely attaches to your nursing bra so you can easily and discreetly pump without removing or undressing—convenience at its finest! The cotton fabric is comfortable and breathable, and the design also gives you the option to pump on one side and breastfeed on the other—once again, a huge time-saver for busy moms!
- Affordable option to extend the usage of a nursing bra
- Easy breast shield insertion and removal
- Runs small
- Openings tend to be on the smaller side
For a strapless bra that’s a breeze to put on when it’s time to pump, try this one from Simple Wishes. It’s a well-liked option for its stretchy material and front zipper that offer ease, comfort and convenience. Four-way layering support ensures your flanges and bottles stay in place while you pump, and, if needed, bra straps are included for additional support. No need to worry about size fluctuation with this one—the 11-inch adjustable back panel helps maintain an ideal fit over time.
- Easy to put on and take off
- Highly adjustable
- Compatible with all major breast pump brands
- Not ideal for larger chests
- Not for nursing
This one-size-fits-most pumping bra features an easily adjustable Velcro back closure that lets you alter the bra’s tightness according to your size (it accommodates sizes A-DD). It also makes it easy to take the bra on and off when you’re short on time. Better yet, the compression from the Velcro closure puts pressure on your milk glands to help you pump more in less time. For additional support when pumping, a neck strap is included to help keep the bra in place.
- Compression helps maximize milk expression
- Compatible with leading breast pumps
- Available in five colors
- Not for use outside of pumping
The most advanced of the bunch, this option from Lilu features lactation massage cushions hidden inside the bra to mimic hands-on compression while you pump. Massage helps empty your breasts more fully to establish, increase and maintain your milk supply, as well as alleviate clogged ducts and engorgement.
- Can boost milk expression
- Inclusive sizes (XS-2XL)
- Bra can be worn alone or over a nursing bra
- Very expensive
Hot flashes are a common, unwelcomed postpartum side effect, so a cooling bra is just what you need to avoid discomfort when pumping in the middle of the night. Made of built-in cooling minerals, the bra lowers your body temperature and wicks away moisture, drying incredibly fast. With functional features like dropdown cups and openings for your pump flanges, you’ll love wearing this versatile bra at all times.
- Fits throughout pregnancy and after
- Compatible with all major electric pumps, including wearable ones
- Works with your body’s fluctuations thanks to adjustable straps and six hook-and-eye closures
- Hand-wash only
For a 2-in-1 style that won't break the bank, this design from Momcozy can be worn for regular wear while pregnant, nursing and pumping. Simply unhook the detachable clips to nurse, while the hidden layer supports a pump. Stylish and slimming, you’ll want to wear this one all day, or stock up on a few to keep in your rotation.
- Adjustable straps
- Some users say the bra isn’t flattering under shirts