12 Pairs of Splash-Worthy Toddler Rain Boots for Spring and Beyond
Being stuck inside all day with a rambunctious toddler can easily go sideways, but with the right rain gear, you can take on an afternoon of cloudy skies and sporadic sprinkles. A raincoat and umbrella will help keep littles warm and dry no matter what the weather throws at you. Another item that’s an absolute must in your child’s springtime wardrobe? Toddler rain boots. After all, having soggy feet is a sure-fire way to aggravate a kiddo. The best toddler rain boots are durable, easy to get on and take off and superb at keeping water out. Ready to start your search? We’ve gathered up some of the best toddler rain boots that’ll easily keep pace with your little puddle-jumper. From classic yellow rubber boots to triple-threat pairs that can withstand the rain, wind and snow, here you’ll find the best rain boots for little boys and girls.
In this article:
Overall best toddler rain boots
Best tall toddler rain boots
Best low-profile toddler rain boots
Best insulated toddler rain boots
Best toddler rain boots with handles
Best toddler rain boots for new walkers
Best lightweight toddler rain boots
Best toddler rain boots with traction
Best adjustable toddler rain boots
Best printed toddler rain boots
Best neoprene toddler rain boots
Best affordable toddler rain boots
Need a little guidance on your quest to find the best toddler rain boots? Here are a few tips on what to look for and how to care for rain shoes.
- Size: Tempted to go up a size so your kiddo can grow into their rain boots? Don’t do it! Toddler rain boots should have a snug fit to avoid slippage and blisters. Buy the correct size for your child, and when in doubt, consult the manufacturer’s sizing guide for accurate measurements.
- Materials: The best toddler rain boots are made from durable, waterproof materials like vulcanized rubber or neoprene. If you live in an area with a colder climate, it’s also a good idea to opt for rain boots that double as snow shoes or feature an insulated inner layer.
- Comfort: Fact: Tots won’t wear shoes that aren’t comfortable. To avoid a tantrum every time you leave the house, invest in high-quality boots made from flexible materials that won’t weigh little feet down. Pro tip: To avoid sweaty feet and blisters, socks should always be worn with boots.
- Practicality: Practicality is key when it comes to toddler rain boots. Shoes with treaded soles offer extra traction on slippery surfaces, and styles with a wide opening and a pull tab or handles are easier to get on and off wiggly feet.
- Care: Although rain boots are designed to be durable, they still require a bit of maintenance. To get your money’s worth, rinse off excess mud and grime and fully dry out rain boots after each use. It’s also best to keep the shoes out of direct sunlight, as excessive heat can cause rubber boots to warp or crack.
There are tons of rain boots on the market, but it can be tough to find a pair that offers maximum style, durability and comfort. Don’t worry—we’ve got you covered. From classic yellow wellingtons built to withstand April showers to waterproof styles ready to tackle any terrain, these are the best rain boots for toddlers.
Overall Best Toddler Rain Boots
When it comes to adult rain gear, Hunter is a go-to brand. Turns out, their toddler rain boots are just as dependable, and come in the same cute and iconic colors that Hunter loyalists know and love. The boots are 100 percent waterproof, cushioned with a 100 percent recycled polyester liner and boast the brand’s signature rubber outsole to reduce the risk of slips and falls. The best part? These shoes have a flatter sole, rounder foot and wider upper than others on the market, making them easier for tots to walk in (even the ones who’ve just begun walking). Plus, the shape makes them a breeze to get on and off. Sizing: Toddler sizes 3-13; suitable for kids aged 18 months to 8 years
- Specialty treads means fewer slips
- Available in bold, bright colors (customizable if bought from Hunter)
- Hunter Boot Care Kit (sold separately) can keep boots in good condition
- Can run small
Best Tall Toddler Rain Boots
With “stomp” in their name, you know these boots were made for a whole lot more than walking. Beyond their cute color combinations, the Kamik Kids Stomp styles are stacked with features, including a seam-sealed rubber upper (which is entirely waterproof); a smooth, textured lining; a shock-absorbing insole and a non-marking rubber bottom—so even if your toddler refuses to take their shoes off, consider your tiled and hardwood floors out of harm’s way!
- Tall silhouette fits well and doesn’t slip on smaller feet, according to many parents
- Synthetic phthalate-free PVC rubber is a lot lighter than natural rubber
- 100 percent recyclable
- Lining is thin, so some parents say wool socks or cushioned insoles are necessary
- Tend to run small
Best Low-Profile Toddler Rain Boots
As cute as it is to see little ones waddling along like ducklings behind their mamas, sometimes toddler rain boots can be clunky and awkward to walk in. That’s why a lower profile boot, like Reima’s ankle option, is great to slip into when the clouds roll in. Available in five fun colors, these high-top sneaker-like rain boots are made out of rubber that’s flexible, vulcanized and PVC-free, and feature a soft cotton lining. They’re definitely the better pick to plan ahead with if you’re going out for a walk and know it won’t be long before it starts drizzling.
- Removable insoles with Happy Fit print helps determine right size for your toddler
- Reflective details make the boots visible (i.e., safer) if they’re worn at night
- Sleeker, less bulky fit
- No handles to help tiny hands slide them on
- Not great for heavier rainstorms or deep puddles
Best Insulated Toddler Rain Boots
Sperry duck boots are a fashionable way to get through unsavory weather, and they’re everywhere these days—including the kids’ aisle! We’re all about an adorable mommy-and-me ensemble with the original saltwater Sperry. The cozy micro-fleece lining means your little one will love these toddler rain boots as much as you love your grown-up pair. Of course, you’ll also appreciate that these rain boots can take your kiddo from snow to rain. Plus, a side zip makes them easy to take on and off squirmy feet. Choose from a mix of brown on brown or brown on navy shades, and peep that rustic rawhide lacing—an en vogue option for preschool and playgrounds alike.
- All-weather ready (rain and mud; snow and slush)
- Style is understated instead of screaming “kiddie”
- Vulcanized bottom lends flexibility and support
- Run small, according to some parents
Best Toddler Rain Boots With Handles
Put a spring in your child’s step with these classic yellow toddler rain boots. This pair is made from durable rubber that keeps water out and won’t warp or crack. The cotton lining keeps feet warm and cozy and is completely removable—meaning you can stick it in the wash when the material gets grubby. Plus, with sure-grip outsoles, removable insoles and convenient handles (L.L. Bean was one of the first brands to put these happy helpers on their boots), they offer everything you’d want in quality foul-weather gear.
- Solid yellow rain boot look is iconic, but they also come in cute prints
- Reflective back triangle lends greater visibility after dark
- Grab handles help get these boots on in a flash
- Limited sizes for toddlers
- Design isn’t great for heavy rainstorms
Best Toddler Rain Boots for New Walkers
Have a tiny one who's not afraid of a few nimbus clouds? These baby and toddler rain boots from Bogs will easily keep up with your newly steady storm-chaser. Not only are they 100 percent waterproof, but the lining also wicks away sweat to keep little feet dry for hours on end. Parents will especially love the cushioned footbeds with DuraFresh technology to help fight nasty foot odors (and yes, babies and toddlers have particularly stinky feet because they’re super active, and sweat is a smelly situation).
- Have handles for easy on-off
- Lining wicks away moisture and combats odors
- Available in a wide array of colors and patterns
- Wide handles mean water can get inside, some parents say
Best Lightweight Toddler Rain Boots
Next up are these featherweight toddler rain boots (they literally weigh 4 oz.) with specialty handles designed for little hands to grasp. They’ll help your munchkin claim some autonomy while getting dressed—heck yes! Better yet, the shoes feature Crocs Croslite foam construction, keeping them light and cushiony on your kiddo’s feet all day long. The boots also come in a range of bright colors that’ll kick those rainy day blues to the curb. All that for under $40? What a bargain!
- Waterproof material wipes clean and dries easily
- Reflective heel logos for safety
- Oversized handles and large openings make the boots easy to put on and take off
- Jump from toddler size 10 to little kid size 1 is a hard transition, some parents say
- Doesn’t accommodate Croc charms
Best Toddler Rain Boots With Traction
A whimsical pattern is always a hit—but that’s not the only reason we love these toddler rain boots. The rubber construction and high boot shaft keep water out, while the high-traction tread and increased slip resistance keeps your kiddo safely on their feet when they’re zooming around. Not to mention, the nifty pull-on handles are a huge plus! If this construction-inspired pattern doesn’t appeal to your little one, don’t fret; Lone Cone has more than 32 options to choose from, and they’re all downright charming in our book.
- Durable, non-slip treads
- Free of BPA, cadmium, phthalates and lead
- Tested to withstand over 100 hours of activity without split seams or leaks
- Some parents say these run big
Best Adjustable Toddler Rain Boots
Melissa created the original jelly shoe (and parents who were kids in the ‘80s and ‘90s were obsessed), so it makes sense that decades later, the brand would be using its proprietary Melflex flexible and moldable PVC in other equally glossy styles. Enter the Mini Melissa Rain Boot, which features a soft textile cuff and a toggle cinch closure to ensure a comfortable and secure fit for your toddler. The boots are delightfully boho-chic, with flower-power polish for days. Want to know a secret that makes these sleek toddler girl rain boots exponentially more little kid-friendly? Their innovative, water-resistant PVC composition smells tutti-frutti. Pretty groovy design hallmark, right?
- Fit is true to size
- Vintage aesthetic is sweet and playful
- Super durable construction makes for a long-lasting boot
- Sell out quickly
- Styles skew feminine
Best Printed Toddler Rain Boots
What makes a rainy day a happy day? A fun printed pattern—and these boots from OAKI come in over 60 design options! From butterflies to dinosaurs and trains to rainbow stripes, you’re sure to find a print that’ll have your toddler squealing to wear their rain boots. Of course, they’re not just nice to look at. These lightweight, high-shaft boots have nifty handles and a high-traction, non-slip sole to keep little explorers on their feet. There’s plenty to love here!
- Cotton lined interior is comfy and cozy
- Zero-drop heel (i.e. entire foot is the same distance from the ground) helps toddlers develop good posture and stability
- Proprietary rubber blend reduces odor and enhances flexibility and bounce back
- Some parents say they run big
Best Neoprene Toddler Rain Boots
Another brand that offers some of the best rain boots for kids? Western Chief. You may be familiar with their novelty-esque firefighter-inspired rain gear, but the brand makes plenty of other toddler-friendly designs too—including this chartreuse plaid neoprene option. This pair is reinforced with an insulated 5mm neoprene lining and memory foam insole for exceptional comfort. Since they’re engineered specifically for the chilliest days, you can give them to your toddler not only when it’s raining outside, but even when it starts hailing or snowing—down to negative 20 degrees, to be precise. Our favorite part, though? That can’t-miss-it neon detailing. A simple black, blue or gray pair of shoes can easily get lost in the closet, but with this vibrant edging, you can spot them in seconds.
- Insulated, cold-rated lining is warm and cozy
- Textured rubber mud-guard adds strength and durability
- Thermoplastic handles offer a "breeze-free" way to get boots on and off
- Memory foam insoles can shrink fast, some parents say
Best Affordable Toddler Rain Boots
Rain can be scary for kiddos, but if they can brave the storm with friendly monsters on their feet, their confidence is sure to soar. We’re loving these affordable Cat & Jack rain boots with a 100 percent rubber upper shaft and a closed-toed design. Water won’t get in, so their feet will stay dry (and warm thanks to the textile, fleece-feel inner lining) as long as they have them on. We’re also fans of the flocked outsole, which makes the no-slip boots even steadier. And let’s be honest, how cute is that orange and yellow toothy critter? His 3D ears really make us smile, and something tells us they’ll do the same for your own wild one. Rain, sleet or ice ahead, they’ll be ready!
- Less than $20
- Huge spectrum of sizes
- Cute unicorn design makes this a magical combo for siblings
- Run big, according to parents
Plus, more from The Bump: