9 Toddler Winter Coats to Keep Little Ones Warm and Toasty
Your little one might not have their winter schedule booked up just yet, but one thing is for sure: Once there’s a chill in the air, they’re most definitely going to need a high-quality winter coat. Easily one of the most used pieces of clothing your toddler will rock, a good winter coat or jacket ensures that your kiddo will be warm and protected throughout the cold-weather season, whether it’s on the daily walk to preschool or while sledding and snowman building with the fam. Most importantly, a practical toddler coat or jacket will make them look forward to spending time outdoors. Ready to start shopping? We rounded up our favorite toddler winter coats that’ll keep your little guy or girl toasty (and stylish) no matter how low the temperature dips.
In this article:
Best down toddler coat
Best down-alternative toddler coat
Best waterproof toddler coat
Best 3-in-1 toddler coat
Best affordable toddler coat
Best designer toddler coat
Best reversible toddler coat
Best toddler dress coat for girls
Best toddler dress coat for boys
When choosing a toddler winter coat, there are several factors to consider. At this age, your kid is moving—and moving fast—so a warm but durable jacket they can easily move around in is necessary. A lightweight coat also makes it easier to pack for trips and store away for springtime. Versatility and ease is key, so that your little one can easily put their coat on themselves, which helps when they’re running to get out the door.
As for sizing, look for a toddler winter coat that fits snugly at the waist so it keeps them warm; sleeves should hit their wrists. A toddler winter jacket should ideally have a weather-resistant or waterproof outer shell that will protect from the elements, depending on where you live.
Shopping for toddler winter coats may sound easy enough, but you’ll want to factor in function and fashion. After all, what good is a stylish coat that doesn’t actually keep your kiddo warm? Don’t worry, we’ve done the research for you and rounded up some favorites that are practical and cute to boot.
This fan favorite is every mom’s dream (and, yes, your kiddo will love it too). Light and fitted enough to be an everyday toddler winter coat, it’s incredibly warm and comes in four solid hues or a super-fun and bright color-blocked option, which, FYI, makes it easy to spot your child in a crowd. The 100 percent nylon shell is stuffed with 650-fill DownTek PFC-Free water-resistant down.
- Water-resistant material
- A reflective-material back triangle provides enhanced visibility in low-light conditions
- The down keeps kiddos warm without weighing them down—and an insulated hood keeps them even toastier on the go
- Machine-washable and dryer-safe
- Because of the form-fitting design, it may feel constricting with heavy winter gear underneath
This eco-conscious down alternative features a 100 percent recycled nylon shell, and is insulated with 200-g Thermogreen; plus, the 100 percent recycled polyester outer will keep your kiddo dry and warm, even in wet conditions. With whimsical prints, this toddler winter coat is sure to make any gloomy, gray day a bit brighter.
- Made with recycled materials, it’s a great option for green-minded shoppers
- It’ll keep kiddos warm and dry—even in wet conditions
- Four colors and designs to choose from
- Fair-trade certified
- A bit on the pricier side
Get ready for all sorts of frosty adventures in a toddler winter jacket that pairs with a seam-sealed, waterproof shell with robust Heatseeker Eco insulation for all-weather comfort. Made with mostly recycled materials, this toddler winter coat will keep them toasty and dry no matter what exciting activity you’re up to. It’s available in multiple design options to suit your little boy or girl’s aesthetic.
- It can be paired with a seam-sealed, waterproof shell for ultimate insulation and warmth
- Made primarily with recycled materials
- Made without harmful materials and poly-fluorinated chemicals
- It’s a pricier option
The checkered outer shell is water-and wind-resistant, and made from recycled polyester. Kids are going to love its functional pockets, banded cuffs and snap closures. You’re going to love its functionality and price point. Toddler girl and boy winter coats don’t get cuter!
- Water- and wind-resistant construction
- Attached hood for extra coverage
- Stabilized full-zip front with snap closures
- Functional pockets, banded cuffs and reinforced elbow patches
- Made with recycled polyester
- Limited color and design options
The beautifully quilted woven shell on this toddler winter jacket has a relaxed fit through the body, and is made from water-resistant fabric that keeps rain away. The super-cozy fleece lining makes this double layer winter coat a real winner. Available in a navy blue or salmon pink color, it’s a perfectly affordable toddler boy or toddler girl winter coat.
- The price can’t be beat; snag extra promos and deals to get it for even less
- Water-resistant material; made with 40 percent recycled polyester. The built-in hood features micro-fleece lining
- Limited color options
Chic, cool and toasty as can be. The durable water-resistant finish ups the cool-weather ante on this lightweight-down toddler winter jacket with insulated hood. Reflective details increase visibility, while fleece-lined pockets and banded cuffs help keep extremities warm. Best of all, this toddler winter coat packs into an internal zippered pocket for easy stowing. (BTW, it can also be used as an outdoor pillow).
- Water-resistant, it’s lined with 625-fill-power down and has an insulated hood and fleece-lined pockets to provide extra warmth
- Reflective details mean your toddler is more visible in the dark
- Toddler winter jacket fits into an internal pocket for easy storage
- Expensive option
Keep kiddos toasty in this water-repellent and cozy insulated hooded jacket that offers 100g of Microtemp insulation. Better yet, style-loving littles will enjoy reversing the look from solid to print (and back again!) for double the versatility.
- Insulated jacket reverses to microfleece side
- Water-resistant fabric
- Some reviewers say it’s better for early winter or early spring
When dressy occasions call for something a little nicer than your standard toddler winter jacket, the faux fur and ribbon detailing on this coat will make celebrations special. The fully lined coat is machine washable and will keep your girlie warm the entire holiday season. Better yet, this toddler girl winter coat will withstand the test of time, and can be used for subsequent children—or passed down to a cousin or family friend!
- Fully lined and fully adorable to strike the balance between function and fashion
- Machine-washable on a gentle cycle
- Limited use options
- Not as warm as a down toddler winter jackets
- Pricey pick
Little guys get to be stylish with this faux shearling and suedette coat that will elevate any look. Two side patch pockets and a button front keep things practical and adorable.
- Style-forward but still cozy
- Machine washable
- Not for everyday use in winter