10 Best Kids’ Camping Chairs for Adventures in the Great Outdoors
For the family that loves the outdoors, camping chairs are incredibly handy. They’re generally lightweight (making them easy to transport), durable (great for withstanding the elements) and compact when folded (which is ideal for packing purposes). And for the mini adventurers in your life, there are kids’ camping chairs that check all of the above boxes, while also being smaller in size and lower to the ground to cater to children of all ages (even babies and toddlers!). But you don’t need to have a camping trip planned to get use out of kids’ camp chairs; they’re also great for beach days, park excursions or even sitting at sibling’s sports games.
The moral of the story is: Kids’ camping chairs are extremely useful in a variety of scenarios. And if you’re wondering which ones are worth purchasing, we’ve got you covered. Keep reading for our favorite kids’ camping chairs you can shop now.
Before we reveal our picks for the best kids’ camping chairs, here are three of our favorite places to shop for camping gear for the whole family. From retailers dedicated to all things outdoors to big-box stores with tons of options, these online shops have camping chairs to fit every need—and budget.
- Backcountry. If you’re planning any outdoor adventure with your family, Backcountry should be your first stop. This online specialty retailer focuses on all things outdoors—from hiking to camping to biking and more—and has a wide array of kids’ camping chairs to choose from. Plus, Backcountry employs a team of outdoor experts (or Gearheads) for any questions or issues you might have along the way.
- Camping World. Similar to Backcountry, Camping World is another one-stop-shop for all of your outdoor needs. Not only do they have camping chairs for the whole family, but they can also provide everything you need (and we mean everything) for your next camping trip.
- DICK’S Sporting Goods. For the active family, there’s no better store than DICK’S Sporting Goods. They cover your outdoor needs (including camping, biking, hiking and fishing) while also carrying items related to almost every sport imaginable—from top brands including Nike, Adidas and Under Armour.
Ready to start shopping? Below, we’ve gathered our favorite picks for the best kids’ camping chair for your next adventure with your little one.
Camping chairs (both for adults and children) aren’t necessarily known for their support. For kids, this can often lead to slouching and sliding around—but that’s not the case with the kids’ camping chair from STRONGBACK. As the brand name implies, this camping chair features an ergonomic design that provides padded lower-back support and promotes good posture for an ultra-comfy seat. But that’s not the only reason this is our top pick: The STRONGBACK kids camp chair features a leg-locking mechanism and heavy-duty rivets (for a secure and stable seat), a weight capacity of up to 200 pounds (for a chair that will grow with you) and tear- and wear-resistant fabric (for maximum durability). This is a kids’ camping chair that won’t just stand up to the elements—it’ll stand the test of time for you and your family.
Dimensions (unfolded): 16” (L) x 17” (W) x 23” (H) | Dimensions (folded): 5.5” (L) x 5.5” (W) x 24” (H) | Weight: 4.5 lbs. | Capacity: 200 lbs.
- Features two cup holders (most kids’ camping chairs only feature one, if any) and a mesh storage pocket
- Includes a backpack-style carry bag for hands-free, easy transport (even for littles!)
- Folding mechanism is easy enough for kids to do themselves
Feeding a little one on a campsite has never been easier, thanks to the Venture Deluxe Portable High Chair from Baby Delight. This camping high chair checks all the basic boxes: It comes with a removable snack tray, cup holder and easy-to-clean fabric. But what sets the Baby Delight apart is the versatility its extra features provide. The Venture camping high chair has three stages that allow it to grow with your little one from 3 months all the way up to 75 pounds, making it usable for years. Plus, it comes with an included UPF50+ sun canopy, a removable five-point harness (a rare find on a camping high chair!) and a carry bag for easy transport—all bonuses that take the Venture portable high chair to the next level.
Dimensions (unfolded): 23” (W) x 22.75” (D) x 24.5” (H) | Dimensions (folded): 7” (W) x 9” (D) x 26” (H) | Weight: 4.9 lbs. | Capacity: 75 lbs.
- Three stages allow baby to sit and eat securely with a five-point harness, stand with support as they become toddlers and then sit harness-free from toddlerhood on
- Flared leg system locks into place and provides a stable base (no dangers of tipping over)
- Polyester fabric is resistant to fading, stains and mold (perfect for withstanding the elements—and messy eaters)
- Some users report the chair can be difficult to unlock when folding
Families who love to camp—or just love spending time outdoors—will also love the double folding chair from Baby Delight. The Go With Me Duo Deluxe Portable Double Chair is a winner all-around, thanks to dual sun canopies (with UPF50+ sun protection), dual cup holders (a must-have) and dual five-point harnesses (which keep children as young as 3 months safe and secure). There’s also a shared storage area, which is perfect for snacks, toys or any treasures discovered in nature. Whether you have twins, siblings or just lots of little ones running around, this double folding chair is one that will come in handy time and time again.
Dimensions (unfolded): 43” (L) x 22.5” (W) x 38” (H) | Dimensions (folded): 15” (L) x 6” (W) x 26” (H) | Weight: 10.5 lbs. | Capacity: 75 lbs.
- Both the sun canopies and five-point harnesses are removable
- Flared leg system and locking mechanism provide a stable base for both seats
- Fabric can be wiped clean and is resistant to stains, fading and mold
- Can be bulky to carry
- Doesn’t come with trays
If you’re headed to the beach, park, playground or anywhere outdoors with a toddler in tow, you’ll want the toddler camping chair from Melissa and Doug in hand. Parents will appreciate the easy-to-clean fabric and sturdy yet ultra lightweight construction (light enough for most toddlers to carry on their own). But toddlers—who are known for having their own strong opinions—will love these camping chairs’ fun designs (from butterflies to octopi to bugs) and low seat height (10 inches, making it easy to get in and out of). And with a weight capacity of 125 pounds, it’s a camping chair that will last well beyond toddlerhood.
Dimensions (unfolded): 15” (L) x 12.5” (W) x 25” (H) | Dimensions (folded): 6.7” (L) x 6.7” (W) x 23.7” (H) | Weight: 3.2 lbs. | Capacity: 125 lbs.
- Fabric is water-resistant to hold up to the elements and easy to wipe clean
- Features a built-in cupholder
- 125 pound weight limit and metal base guarantees a sturdy seat that will last
- Some users report it can be difficult to get into the included carry bag
When tackling the outdoors with your kids, protection from the elements is key. Enter the Redmon All Season Kids Umbrella Camping Chair, which features an attached umbrella to help block out the sun, rain and any other unwanted elements while sitting in the chair. The umbrella is also easily removable, enabling it to provide coverage as your child walks around the campsite. But we love this chair for more than just its umbrella feature; it also boasts a built-in cup holder, double-locking mechanisms and an included carry bag—making it an all-around solid pick.
Dimensions (unfolded): 22” (W) x 22” (D) x 40” (H) | Dimensions (folded): N/A | Weight: 3.2 lbs. | Capacity: 50 lbs.
- Double-locking mechanisms on the base provide a safe and secure seat
- Cup holder included
- Weight limit is on the lower side
Planning on camping with a baby? Then plan on packing the Hiccapop OmniBoost Travel Booster Seat. While technically a travel booster seat, it functions perfectly as a baby camping chair, thanks primarily to its attachable duck feet, which make it stable on soft and uneven surfaces (like grass, dirt or sand). Also keeping baby secure are the three-point harness, locking mechanisms and extra-wide base (though it still fits on most standard dining chairs). This baby camping chair isn’t just safe, it’s also smartly designed, with a one-handed, easy-release buckle, a swivel tray for easy in-and-outs and a rear storage pocket (perfect for holding bibs, wipes, utensils and more). From the campsite to the comforts of your own home, this travel booster seat will serve you and your little one well.
Dimensions (unfolded): 14” (W) x 14” (D) x 16” (H) | Dimensions (folded): 7” (W) x 7” (D) x 16” (H) | Weight: 4.2 lbs. | Capacity: 250 lbs.
- Swivel tray is dishwasher safe and the cover is machine-washable
- 250 pound weight limit ensures a sturdy, durable chair
- Includes a lifetime warranty
- Features a three-point, not five-point, harness, so won’t work for very young babies
One of the most useful accessories on a kids’ camping chair is a tray; it gives your child a safe space to land their food, drinks and anything else you’re looking to keep away from the dirt. And when it comes to kids’ camping chairs with trays, our top pick is the Venture Forward Happy Camper Children’s Director’s Chair. The tray is found on the side of the chair (as opposed to the front), which allows your little one to easily get in and out without assistance. Also, this tray’s side location provides a stable surface, avoiding the tipping and sliding around of food that can happen with trays found in the front. As most caregivers know, when the snacks are kept safe, the kids are kept happy!
Dimensions (unfolded): 15.3” (L) x 15.8” (W) x 23.2” (H) | Dimensions (folded): 3.5” (L) x 15.8” (W) x 23.2” (H) | Weight: 6 lbs. | Capacity: 125 lbs.
- Reinforced hinges and a coated steel frame create a sturdy chair that can hold up to 125 pounds
- Polyester fabric can be wiped clean and is weather- and tear-resistant
- Doesn’t come with a carry bag or carry strap
Being light in weight is essential for any camping chair, and you’ll be hard-pressed to find a lighter option than the Helinox Chair Zero. The chair itself weighs just 17 ounces (18 when packed in its included carry bag), meaning even your tiniest traveler should be able to help transport it to and from the campsite. And though this isn’t technically a kids’ camp chair, it’s only 9 inches from the ground (lower than most kids’ camping chairs), making it easy for kids of all ages to climb in and out. At $150 it's an investment, but with a 265 pound weight capacity, this is a high-quality chair that can be used by almost any member of your family for years to come.
Dimensions (unfolded): 18.5” (L) x 20” (W) x 25” (H) | Dimensions (folded): 3.5” (L) x 3.5” (W) x 13.5” (H) | Weight: 17 oz. | Capacity: 265 pounds
- Patented aluminum alloy frame provides maximum strength while still being impressively lightweight
- Premium quality fabric provides a seat that’s durable and practically tear-proof, while also being comfortable
- No shoulder or carry strap on the bag
Shade and sun protection are important during any outdoor activities, and luckily, the QuikShade Canopy Kids’ Folding Chair provides both. The canopy is made from fabric with UPF50+ sun protection and can be easily raised, lowered and tilted to block the sun from all angles. The chair itself can hold up to 150 pounds, features a safety lock to prevent it from collapsing and comes with a built-in cupholder. This chair and canopy combo creates a kids’ camping chair that is the ultimate win-win.
Dimensions (unfolded): 22.5” (L) x 24” (W) x 35” (H) | Dimensions (folded): N/A | Weight: 5 lbs. | Capacity: 150 lbs.
- Chair and canopy fabric is stain- and moisture-resistant
- Includes carry bag
- Canopy is not removable
- Safety lock can be difficult to disengage
Looking to invest in a quality kids’ camping chair without breaking the bank? Look no further than the Coleman Kids’ Quad Chair. This budget-friendly kids’ camping chair doesn’t skimp when it comes to construction (its strong steel frame supports up to 160 pounds) or extras (it comes included with a carry bag and cup holder). It even features a glow-in-the-dark design, which your kids are bound to love. What it doesn’t come with, though, is a hefty price tag—it rings in at just under $25. Score!
Dimensions (unfolded): Not listed | Dimensions (folded): 2.9” (W) x 9.8” (D) x 26.5” (H) | Weight: 4 lbs. | Capacity: 160 lbs.
- Glow-in-the-dark design makes for campsite fun
- 10-inch seat height makes it easy for children to get in and out without assistance
- Seat is a roomy 24 inches wide
- Some users report the carry bag rips easily
Shopping for any kind of kids’ gear can be overwhelming, especially with the plethora of options available online. To streamline your decision-making process, we do the bulk of the research for you, so you don’t have to spend hours scrolling through online retailers. We leverage our familiarity with leading brands, and consider a list of criteria when sourcing the best kids’ camping chairs, including quality, design, features, materials and price. We comb through thousands of user reviews to get the low-down on how these products work for real-life families, and typically don’t consider anything with less than an average four-star rating. This way you can count on getting the best bang for your buck, while also having a top-notch kids’ camp chair that meets your needs—and will stand the test of time.
Interested in learning more about our editorial process? Read about how our team develops and reviews all articles here.
Navigate forward to interact with the calendar and select a date. Press the question mark key to get the keyboard shortcuts for changing dates.