The Best Baby Scales to Monitor Baby’s Weight
Ensuring that baby is happy and healthy is your number-one priority, and it can be a lot of work—especially in the first few months of infanthood. Luckily, there’s a ton of parenting gear to help you keep track of your little one’s well-being. An at-home baby scale is one tool that allows you to monitor baby’s growth—and it can offer peace of mind between doctor’s visits.
There’s a wide range of baby scales available for parents to choose from that include convenient digital features. Some can even send baby’s measurements directly to your phone, so you can keep a record of your little one’s developmental milestones with ease. Whether you’re looking for the most accurate baby scale, a budget-friendly pick or a multipurpose option, we’ve got you covered. Get expert tips, and shop our favorite baby scales below.
Having an at-home baby scale can be useful for a number of reasons. Lauren Crosby, MD, a pediatrician and spokesperson for the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends using one in the following situations:
- Baby is preterm and needs to be weighed more frequently
- Baby is having trouble with feeding or weight gain, and you aren’t able to get to the doctor’s office as often as might be needed
- To aid breastfeeding—especially when there are concerns regarding milk supply or milk transfer from breast to baby
- You require accurate, up-to-date weights to properly dose medications
- Baby seems to have decreased their intake of fluid and/or food for several days in a row without any obvious reason
If you check any of the above boxes, an at-home baby scale could be a useful addition to your nursery setup. If you do choose to use a baby scale between doctor visits, Crosby offers the following tips:
- Baby should be weighed before a meal, at the same time each day and always naked
- If baby has been sick recently, wait to weigh them. It’s quite normal for a child to lose a little weight when ill; they’ll likely gain it back once they’ve recovered and start to eat normally again
- If you note significant weight loss—or if the pediatrician has given baby a goal weight to achieve after a certain amount of time, and they do not reach it—reach out to your pediatrician
If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out to your child’s doctor. Remember, health professionals can interpret weights based on a child’s age, growth-and-gain history and any other influencing factors.
While having a baby scale on hand can be helpful and reassuring, it can also be stressful. “Normal fluctuations in weight in a newborn or an older child can cause a lot of worry and stress for parents,” says Crosby. This is why it’s best to check with baby’s doctor “to get a firm understanding of appropriate weight gain,” adds Alexis Phillips-Walker, DO, a pediatrician in Atascocita, Texas . It varies by age. For example, a newborn will gain weight at a quicker rate than a 6-month-old. If you find yourself becoming too focused on your newborn’s weight changes, try not to stress. Crosby advises parents to avoid weighing baby, unless specifically instructed by baby’s doctor. If they don’t think baby needs to be weighed frequently, you should trust that.
When shopping for baby scales, it’s important to keep a few key features in mind. Phillips suggests that at-home baby scales should:
- Measure accurately within 0.1 to 0.5 ounces
- Remember previous weighings for comparison
- Automatically shut off to save battery life
- Feature a comfortable surface
- Include a tare feature to compensate for a baby blanket or item of clothing during measurement
- Be able to convert from kilograms to pounds and vice-versa
- Have a large, well-lit LCD display that’s easy to read
Ready to find the best baby scale for your needs? Check out our favorite products below.
First up on our list of the best baby scales? The Grow Smart Changing Pad & Scale from Hatch. Made with smart technology, this option records baby’s weight, and sends the details directly to your phone via an app. If your kiddo is extra squirmy, don’t worry—this baby scale features a safety belt to keep your little one secure. Did we mention that this versatile pick doubles as a changing pad? It will fit seamlessly on the changing table in your nursery.
- Features a soft foam base that’s easy to wipe
- The app allows you to track weigh-ins, feedings and diaper-changing data
- Doesn’t hold weight if baby is moving
- Higher price point than other baby scales
Scrub-a-dub-dub—this aqua scale baby bath allows you to monitor your little one’s weight while you get them squeaky clean in the tub. It works with or without water and keeps track of previous weigh-ins so you can monitor baby’s growth with ease. What’s more, this baby scale measures the water temperature for added peace of mind. Better yet, its ergonomic shape will make bath time a breeze!
- 3-in-1 design is perfect for bathtime, weigh-ins and taking the water’s temperature
- Features a non-slip pad to keep baby comfy and secure
- Can be used as a baby scale with our without water
- Adjustable scale is ideal for newborns and tots
- Some reviewers say that the scale isn’t accurate in all situations
If you’re breastfeeding, it can be reassuring to know that baby is receiving all the nutrients they need. This baby scale has got you covered. It’s equipped with three different operating modes—normal, milk intake and baby and Mom—to help you track your child’s growth and determine how much baby is consuming after each feed. With the ability to hold up to 220 pounds, this versatile baby scale can be counted on by everyone in the family for years to come.
- Has a hold feature that takes a stable average reading, even if baby is squirming
- Can be used by newborns, tots, adults and any age in between
- 180-degree rotating LCD display
- Some reviewers say that it isn’t always accurate in some circumstances
Looking for the most accurate baby scale? This next pick checks all the boxes on our list. Thanks to the baby scale’s proprietary weighing algorithm, you’ll be able to get a precise reading—within 0.1 ounce—even if baby is wiggling. Plus, this scale can hold up to 66 pounds, so it can be used as baby grows throughout toddlerhood. Analog or Bluetooth-connected versions are available.
- Automatically records weight via an app
- Reviewers say that it’s simple to assemble
- Some reviewers say that the app can be unreliable at times
We get it—baby needs a lot of gear once they arrive, so it’s always nice to find a product that can be used for more than one purpose. This versatile baby scale from MomMed is a multipurpose find. Designed with babies, mamas and everyone else in mind, it can hold up to 220 pounds. Better yet, parents say that this highly rated pick is also easy to assemble.
- Features a hold function that lets you instantly capture measurements
- Can measure weights between 0.1 to 220 pounds
- Affordable price point
- Some reviewers say the plastic isn’t as durable as they expected
On the hunt for a hospital-grade baby scale that you can use at home? Then you’ll love this option from Ozeri. It offers accurate readings within 0.1 ounce, and even features a sliding tool to help you monitor baby’s height too. And if your kiddo is super-squirmy, just press the hold button to quickly capture measurements.
- Stores data of 15 previous weigh-ins for up to 8 infants
- Affordable price point
- Easy to clean
- Height measuring tool is only suitable for babies between 18.1 to 31.5 inches
This straightforward digital baby scale is perfect for all parents, whether you’re a newbie or a pro. We love its user-friendly details, such as hold function and tare feature, which allows you to subtract the weight of anything other than baby. Moreover, this baby scale measures weight with up to three decimal points of accuracy. And if you have pregnancy brain (or are just sleep-deprived) and forget to turn it off? No worries, it will automatically shut off to conserve battery life when left unattended.
- Comfy, curvy design to cradle baby during weigh-ins
- Easy-to-read LCD display
- Battery included
- Some reviewers say that pressing the buttons impacts the measurement shown on the scale
Last on our list of the best baby scales is this affordable option from Beurer. Just because you’re saving money, doesn’t mean you’re missing out on quality when it comes to this baby scale! You’ll love its precise sensors, auto-lock hold function and rounded edges. Plus, it has a convenient tare feature, so you can subtract the weight of a swaddle, clothing or anything else baby’s wearing and still receive an accurate measurement of your little one.
- Affordable price point
- Reviewers say it’s easy to use
- May not be ideal for parents hoping to measure feeds
About the experts:
Lauren Crosby, MD, is a board-certified pediatricianand an official spokesperson for the AAP. She earned her medical degree from the UCLA School of Medicine, and previously served as chief resident at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.
Alexis Phillips-Walker, DO is a pediatrician at Memorial Hermann Medical Group Pediatrics in Atascocita, Texas. She earned her medical degree at Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine in Athens.