The Craziest Celebrity Baby Names of All Time
March 2, 2017
*Pilot Inspektor (Beth Riesgraf and Jason Lee)
* No celebrity-baby-name list would be complete without this gem. The unusual moniker comes from a song by the indie rock band Grandaddy, “He’s Simple, He’s Dumb, He’s the Pilot.” Yes, we know just because there’s a reason behind it doesn’t mean it makes any sense. Now-big-kid Pilot Inspektor hasn’t made any public complaints about his first name…yet. For crazy names, Moss says, “In general, avoid outlandish names — especially if they’re a joke. Your kid’s name shouldn’t be a joke; they’ll live with it forever.”
*Kal-El (Alice Kim and Nicolas Cage)
* Clearly Nicolas Cage never outgrew his love for Superman. But at least he had enough sense to not name his baby Superman, opting instead for Superman’s name on Krypton. Much better.
*Buddy Bear Maurice (Jools and Jamie Oliver)
* We don’t know if the name Buddy Bear Maurice is better or worse than the names of Jamie Oliver’s other children: Poppy Honey, Daisy Boo and Petal Blossom Rainbow. We’re not making this up. We’re hoping the Oliver children can hold their own in the schoolyard.
*Banjo Patrick (Rachel Griffiths and Andrew Taylor)
* When we first heard the name Banjo, we went, “Huh?” And while we wouldn’t jump at the chance to use the name, actress Rachel Griffiths and artist hubby Andrew Taylor have a perfectly good explanation: They named their firstborn after Banjo A.B. Paterson, an Australian poet, journalist and storyteller.
*Amadeus Benedict Edley Luis Becker (Lilly Kressenberg and Boris Becker)
* This name’s a mouthful! How does a kid who has brothers and sisters named Noah, Elias and Anna wind up with this doozy of a name? According to Moss, parents might think it’s fun to pick out a long name, but they’re really unnecessary. “Double, triple, quadruple names aren’t practical for the child — imagine filling out paperwork with that name!” she says.
*Moroccan and Monroe (Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon)
* Okay, we kind of saw this one coming. This celeb couple is all about dramatics. But Moroccan and Monroe — really? With their daughter named after the iconic starlet Marilyn, and their son named after the themed room dad proposed in (um, future embarrassment ahead?), Mariah and Nick didn’t let us down when it came to giving us a few laughs. Nick said, “They ain’t going to be mad at us when they grow up.” We’re not psychics or anything, but we’re going to take a wild guess and say he’s going to be wrong in 10-plus years.
*Bluebell Madonna (Geri Halliwell)
* Former Spice Girl Geri Halliwell says she was inspired by spring flowers when it came to naming her daughter. Why couldn’t she have gone with rose or violet? Add to that, Bluebell shares a middle name with the pop star and the biblical figure — that’s some strange company to be in.
*Bronx Mowgli (Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz)
* When we first heard the name, we didn’t know Ashlee and Pete were huge fans of the New York City borough and The Jungle Book. That could be the only reason why they decided to name their son after the concrete jungle and a character who actually lives in the wild, right? Hey, maybe they thought Bronx Mowgli needs a tough name when he’s out exploring the wildlife of Beverly Hills.
*Audio Science (Shannyn Sossamon and Dallas Clayton)
* No, we’re not lying. The kid’s name is actually Audio Science. The actress said that she and her partner both wanted a word, not a name, for their son. Apparently they went through the dictionary a couple times before settling on Audio Science. Here’s hoping next time they’ll stick with a baby-name book.
*Rogue (Elizabeth Avellan and Robert Rodriguez)
* The good news is Rogue isn’t the odd one out with his crazy name; his other siblings include brothers Rocket, Racer and Rebel. The bad news, his name is Rogue. It seems like director Robert Rodriguez takes a cue from his action-packed movies when naming his kids. We’re not so sure if that’s a wise idea.
Plus more from The Bump