BookmarkBookmarkTickBookmarkAdd

Q&A: Will Ingesting Lead Paint Hurt My Baby?

I sanded some old furniture and then realized that the paint could contain lead. If I ingested lead paint and then breastfeed, will it hurt my baby?
save article
profile picture of Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC
Updated
January 30, 2017
Hero Image

It sounds as if your exposure (if any) was minimal and is over now, so there’s no need to worry.

Lead can enter the breast milk in small amounts, but it’s not dangerous unless a mom is exposed to super-high levels — enough for her to be diagnosed with severe lead poisoning.

Please note: The Bump and the materials and information it contains are not intended to, and do not constitute, medical or other health advice or diagnosis and should not be used as such. You should always consult with a qualified physician or health professional about your specific circumstances.

save article
Related Video

Next on Your Reading List

Article removed.