Creating the Perfect Playlist for Delivery — And Beyond!
March 2, 2017
I like to make playlists for most everything: workouts, parties, meals — essentially all of my life’s moments large and small. So naturally, I wanted a playlist for the birth of my baby. Some people scoffed at the idea. They told me, "You’ll never use it, you’ll be too entrenched in pain to want to listen to music,” and, ”You’ll likely throw the ipod across the room!” Others just suggested I watch TV. But I didn’t like the idea of having Wheel of Fortune, or worse — Teen Mom , as the background to my childbirth.
So, midway through my pregnancy I started planning my playlist. It’s amazing how many songs are dedicated to romantic love, or breakups, or holidays, but not so many dedicated to the powerful parent-child love.
It took some time to find songs that would make the cut. I decided on a mix of songs that soothed, some that had special personal meaning, some that were written by artists to their children, and some that were upbeat and fast paced for the final moments.
Here is just a sampling of my delivery room playlist. Whether you’re pregnant and considering a playlist, or if you just need some good nursery music, I strongly suggest giving these a listen. Even if you think you might not like the artist or genre, if you’re a mom-to-be or parent, you’ll identify or appreciate each one of these. I re-purposed most of these for my constantly evolving nursery playlist. Feel free to add yours, I’m always looking for new additions!
1. You and Me, Dave Matthews Band : A song that celebrates love and life in general, and that “together we can do anything.”
2. The Luckiest, Ben Folds: tear
3.Sea of Love, Cat Power/Juno Soundtrack: Juno is such a great movie to watch when you’re pregnant. This part of the movie makes me cry each time I watch it.
4. Danny Song’s, Kenny Loggins: Old school and maybe a little sappy, the lyrics made me smile at the toughest points of my labor.
5. Rainbow Connection, Weezer: A late addition that combines two great things: Weezer and The Muppets.
6. Here Comes the Sun, Beatles (Love sountrack version): George Harrison was a mandatory.
7. Such Great Heights, The Postal Service: More of a love song, it’s about people that are just so happy they won’t come down… which is how I felt then.
8. Lullaby, Dixie Chicks: I was never a Dixie Chicks fan, but this song is so touching and has become of the best songs to put my baby to sleep to.
9. Father and Daughter, Paul Simon: I added this because I love Paul Simon, but I truly thought I was having a boy. So it was amazingly coincidental that it happened to be playing the exact moment I gave birth to my baby girl. It’s such a heartwarming anthem from a father to his daughter and now has a very special meaning to me.
What songs do you love for baby?