Checklist: Questions to Ask When Choosing an Ob-Gyn
December 6, 2017
Starting out on your pregnancy journey? Congrats! You’ve got 40 weeks ahead of you filled with excitement, anticipation and a probably a dash of anxiety. You’re bound to have questions and concerns as your body and baby undergo major changes, so finding an ob-gyn to guide you through pregnancy and deliver your little one on the big day is an all-important task. Knowing the right questions to put to prospective doctors will help you narrow your search and select the right one for you. As you prep for your meet-and-greets, read through this checklist of interview questions to ask when choosing an ob-gyn.
• Do you accept my insurance?
• How long have you been in practice? How many births have you attended?
• What hospitals are you affiliated with? Where would I deliver?
• Is this a private or group practice? If it’s a group practice, who will I meet with throughout my pregnancy, and who will deliver my baby? If it’s a private practice, who is on-call when the doctor is not available?
• How many babies do you deliver each month?
• How many patient appointments are scheduled in a day? How much time do you allot for each visit?
• What are the after-hours policies? Are you available by phone or email for questions between visits, or is there a nurse who can provide advice and answers?
• How do you accommodate patients’ birth plan preferences?
• What are your views about pain medication during labor? About natural childbirth?
• What is your c-section rate?
• Do you perform VBACs (vaginal birth after c-section)? What’s your VBAC success rate?
• Do you perform episiotomies as a matter of course?
• Do you have experience with high-risk pregnancies?
• Are you comfortable working with a doula if I decide to hire one?
• Did you like the doctor’s style of communication and bedside manner?
• Did the doctor listen to your concerns and answer all your questions? Did you feel rushed during the interview?
• Did the doctor’s views on pregnancy, childbirth and medical care align with your own?
• Was the office clean?
• Were the nurses and office staff friendly and helpful?
• How long did you wait before being seen?
• Was the office conveniently located?
Updated December 2017