The roller coaster of emotions starts the minute you see that positive test. And no matter how much you do to get ready for the next nine months—reading up on impending symptoms and physical changes, and getting advice from mom friends—actually experiencing pregnancy is still pretty shocking. Read on for some of the craziest moments coming your way, from the highs (like feeling baby move for the first time) to the lows (uh, hemorrhoids). Because the best way to prepare for the unexpected is with a healthy sense of humor.
1. When you see baby’s heartbeat on the ultrasound screen and realize: This. Is. Really. Happening.
2. When you wake up and realize your chest has seemingly grown a cup size overnight.
3. When that first bout of morning sickness hits as you’re getting ready for work.
4. When someone figures out you’re expecting before you’ve had a chance to tell them.
5. When you can no longer button your favorite jeans.
6. When your raging hormones lead to a roller coaster of emotions…often in the same convo.
7. When your food cravings lead to unusual eating habits.
8. When you finally have a noticeable bump and it doesn’t just look like you’ve packed on a few.
9. When you find out the gender and your guess was spot-on. A sign your maternal instinct has already kicked in?
10. When you think you feel baby move for the first time—but it could’ve also been the burrito you ate for lunch.
11. When you wake up to swelling, itching and overall discomfort down there.
12. When your belly button pops and you can see it in every piece of clothing you own.
13. When just the thought of going no. 2 strikes fear in your heart...hello, hemorrhoids.
14. When you’re getting ready for bed and are startled by those first Braxton Hicks contractions.
15. When you finish your tour of the maternity ward, realize how far you’ve come, and know you’re so ready for what’s next.