The Best Maternity Workout Clothes, According to Real Moms
Your life doesn’t stop when you’re pregnant, and neither should your workouts. Once you get over the initial exhausted hump and roll into the high-energy second trimester, there are tons of excellent reasons to hit the gym or pool. But to get started, you might find you need some maternity activewear now that you’re rocking a baby bump.
This investment in yourself (and your wardrobe) is totally worth it. The US Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) recommends getting in 150 minutes every week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity during pregnancy. And mega benefits—such as reduced risk of gestational diabetes, unplanned c-sections and preeclampsia, not to mention improved physical and psychological well-being—make exercise a no-brainer. Of course, you want to be comfortable and still look good (hey, we hear you). No sweat! Here are our picks for the best maternity workout clothes from fitness experts and moms alike.
In this article:
Do you really need maternity workout clothes?
Best places to buy maternity workout clothes
Maternity sports bras
Maternity workout tops
Maternity workout leggings and pants
Maternity workout shorts
If you’re like most expectant moms, much of your pregnancy is spent buying things for baby—nursery furniture, clothes, diapers and more. So you may not want to spend extra cash on maternity activewear you’ll only use for a few months. And sure, in the first trimester, you can easily get away with rolling waist bands under your belly and stretching out tees instead of investing in actual maternity activewear. But around the 20-week mark, that belly is going to start showing and such measures can become wildly uncomfortable.
Plus, to the surprise of many new moms, it’s not just for a few months of wear. “In hindsight, had I known I’d wear maternity workout clothes after delivery, I’d have spent more,” says Olivia Koszuta, a Denver mom who took spin classes twice weekly throughout her pregnancy. “I was still wearing Old Navy maternity leggings at three months out. Pants just don’t fit normally for a while. It probably took another three months for my belly to go down.”
Every pregnancy is different. With this in mind, it’s important to assess the changes your body is experiencing and choose maternity activewear that suits your individual needs and lifestyle. When in doubt, opt for maternity workout clothes designed to ease discomfort during sweat sessions—whether that means maternity sports bras and swimwear with added bust support, stretchy ruched tees and tanks for growing bellies or maternity yoga pants with over-the-belly waistbands.
The best maternity workout clothes are designed to support and flatter an expectant mom’s bump, says Melanie Darnell, a Los Angeles maternity fitness trainer and mom of three who founded Fitmomma Bootcamp. “You’ll get the extra support and length you need. Plus, feeling comfortable in your maternity workout clothes can be the confidence boost you need to get to the gym.” Koszuta agrees: “It was so nice hearing the girls in spin class say I looked cute in my fitness gear,” she says.
Good news: You don’t need to buy a ton of items or spend a fortune on maternity workout clothes—just a few key items will do the trick. Here’s a breakdown of stores to browse and types of exercise clothing you may want to consider—plus, a few favorite items to snatch up.
If you’re expecting and on the hunt for maternity activewear, it’s worth popping into a few stores to see what brands you like best. You don’t have to break the bank stuffing your closet with tons of maternity workout clothes, but a few key pieces (like an excellent sports bra and some pregnancy-friendly yoga pants) can make a dramatic difference in how comfortable you are during your workouts—and how great you feel after them. And we’d say anything that gets you to the gym a bit more often is a sound investment. Ready to start shopping? Check out five of our favorite places to buy cute maternity workout clothes that really go the distance.
- Girlfriend Collective: This maternity workout clothing line is small but mighty. The capsule collection includes seamless leggings, bike shorts and super-stretchy sports bras. Each item is made from moisture-wicking, UPF 50+ recycled materials. Plus, the activewear comes in tons of colors and is available in sizes XXS to 6XL.
- Kindred Bravely: This Instagram-favorite maternity and postpartum brand is known for its ultra-soft fabrics that hold their shape and mold to your body. Kindred Bravely nursing bras are a thing of legend; invest in one of the brand’s sports bras and it’ll last long after baby is born.
- Beyond Yoga: This brand has a cult-following—and with good reason. Beyond Yoga’s signature Space Dye fabric boasts a four-way stretch, UV protection and unbeatable softness. The online store has a great range of tank tops, T-shirts, joggers and leggings to suit every type of activity.
- Motherhood Maternity: This classic maternity brand also carries some super-cute maternity workout clothes. If you want to source all your pregnancy clothing essentials in one spot, Motherhood Maternity is your best bet.
- Old Navy: If you’re on a tight budget (or just want to score a sporty look for less), Old Navy should be your first stop. This online store has a wide variety of affordable activewear, from compression leggings to performance tees, they have kickass pregnancy workout clothes that won’t break the bank.
One major body change many pregnant people experience is a rapidly growing bust. It’s often one of the first changes to cause discomfort, resulting in that familiar red ring that surfaces below the breasts when you’re wearing a bra that’s too small. This body change makes a well-fitting pregnancy sports bra (or two!) an essential component of your maternity workout clothes collection.
As early as six weeks into pregnancy, breasts can start to increase in size. They’ll continue to grow throughout pregnancy—in fact, many women go up one to two cup sizes. If you’re well endowed to begin with, workouts (and daily activities) can quickly become uncomfortable without a maternity sports bra. In fact, one of the first moves for Calli De La Haye, a certified prenatal yoga instructor who co-founded Kalimukti Yoga, was to ditch all underwire designs and switch to a more comfy, forgiving style. Keep reading to discover some top-rated maternity sports bras.
Supportive Maternity Sports Bra
Designed with active moms in mind, this maternity sports bra provides support and coverage as your chest grows during pregnancy and easy access for nursing after. Made from soft, moisture-wicking material, this pick is perfect for low-impact activities like yoga, hiking or running errands around town. Plus, it comes in regular and busty sizes. Bonus: Get 15 percent off sitewide with code **THEBUMP15 **.
- Nursing clips for convenience
- Stretchy fabric
- Features a pullover racerback style
- Has the potential to stretch out
Seamless Maternity Bra
Next up is a pick from Bravado Designs—a Best of Pregnancy award-winning brand. This maternity sports bra is underwire-free and has nursing clips for prenatal and postnatal wear. Better yet, it’s made from a super breathable fabric to keep you cool. (Because pregnancy can get pretty sweaty.)
- Features adjustable, convertible straps
- With removable foam cups
- Fabric has potential to make skin itch
Ribbed Maternity Sports Bra
For moms looking for comfy pregnancy activewear, this maternity sports bra is a great pick. It’s made from a seamless ribbed material that won’t irritate sensitive skin, and has a beautiful vintage look. And at under $31, it’s a great pick for a mom-to-be on a budget.
- Made from a seamless ribbed material
- Affordable price tag
- Cold wash only
Seamless nursing sports bra
If you’re looking for pregnancy workout clothes that pull double duty as loungewear, this sports bra is a perfect pick. The comfy ribbed fabric, elastic waistband and easy pullover style mean it will likely see as much action hanging out at home as it will at the gym.
- Racerback style
- Seamless rib fabric
- Adjustable shoulder straps
- Some reviewers say that it doesn't provide enough coverage
Nursing Sports Bra
If you need extra support, this maternity sports bra minimizes bounce, reduces friction and wicks away moisture. It’s also available in sizes up to 40K, making it a great pick for curvy moms.
- Flexi-wire minimizes bounce and offers high-impact support
- Super smooth material
- Inclusive size range
- High price point
- Some customers say the cups are too shallow for larger busts
Racerback sports bra
Want a maternity sports bra that’s supportive and practical, yet super stylish? This design features a sporty color-block mesh design with removable pads and easy-to-use clips for nursing postpartum.
- Features a stylish and practical design
- Has easy-to-use clips and removable pads
- Ideal for all stages of pregnancy
- Only available in one color
As you search for the best maternity workout clothes, keep your eyes peeled for some solid workout tops. You’re looking for a shirt made in comfortable, stretchy fabrics that won’t ride up on your belly. “You want tanks and tees that provide the flexibility for you to grow through your trimesters,” says Teri Lang Patterson, a certified fitness instructor in South Dakota and new mom.
Breathable maternity tee
Looking for a performance tee to keep you comfortable and dry? This maternity workout top is made from breathable jersey fabric with wicking technology, so you won’t be left feeling sticky or sweaty. It also boasts shirred sides for added belly room and flat-lock seams that won’t rub you up the wrong way.
- Moisture-wicking material
- Longer cut for full coverage
- Flat-locked seams create smooth lines and prevent chafing
- Some customers don’t find the silhouette flattering
Rib-knit maternity tank tops
This three-pack of simple, sleeveless tank tops is a solid option if you’re planning on ramping up your maternity workouts. They’re made from an ultra-soft, breathable fabric with ruched sides to hug your growing curves. Plus, they’re free from annoying, itchy tags that can irritate sensitive skin during pregnancy. You'll be able to wear these maternity tanks all-week-long, from morning workouts to lazy Sundays on the couch.
- Soft and breathable fit
- Sleeveless racerback design
- Affordable price point
- Has the potential to stretch out
Cotton maternity and nursing hoodie
If you’re searching for the best maternity workout clothes for cold weather, check out this cute hoodie. Made from a super-soft cotton blend on the outside and a cozy fleece material inside, the relaxed crossover style fits through every stage of pregnancy. Once baby is born, a zippable panel can be added to the front to provide baby with extra warmth during babywearing.
- Made from soft cotton and fleece for maximum comfort
- Features a zip-in panel to cover baby
- Easy to wear
- Not suitable for the tumble dryer
Racerback maternity tank top
The best maternity workout clothes are those that can easily transition outside that workout sesh. This tank from PinkBlush does just that, with a scoop-neck and attractive ruching along the sides. Available in three colors.
- V-neck silhouette
- Soft and breathable material
- Features ruched sides
- Should be washed on cold cycle to prevent shrinking
Stylish maternity tank top
If you want to inject some color into your maternity workout clothes, look no further than this versatile tank that comes in four colors. The sporty racerback silhouette is right on-trend and the fabric is super-soft. Wear it alone for hot and sweaty workouts or use it as a base layer in the winter months. The best bit? Beyond Yoga is a Best of Pregnancy award winner, so you know that high quality is guaranteed!
- Built-in bra
- Racerback design
- Super-soft Spacedye fabric
- Machine wash cold
- High price point
Plus-size maternity T-shirt
Searching for plus-size maternity workout clothes? Motherhood Maternity has a few great options. This T-shirt comes in tons of colors, has a flattering scoop neck and ruching at the sides. Available in sizes 1X to 3X.
- Relaxed fit
- Multiple color options
- Not specifically designed for exercise
Cotton Maternity Hoodie
The best maternity workout clothes are comfy enough to wear even when you’re not exercising. This cozy French terry cloth hoodie will keep you warm whether you’re active outdoors or lounging around at home post-workout.
- A comfortable and relaxed fit
- Features an adjustable drawcord
- Made from high-quality materials
- May not be ideal for those in the later months of pregnancy
No wardrobe of maternity workout clothes is complete without a few pairs of go-to bottoms. In terms of maternity workout pants, it’s all about having an easily expandable, comfy waist that won’t distract you from your chosen exercise. The moms we spoke with all like over-the-belly style leggings and sweatpants. “You can get maternity pants with elastic around the belly, but you get to a point where even those slide off,” Koszuta says. “That won’t happen with leggings that pull over your belly,” she continues. Looking for a good pair of maternity yoga pants? Trust us, the over-the-belly style will serve you well here too.
Supportive Maternity Leggings
Blanqi leggings are a firm favorite at The Bump, so much so that the brand is a Best of Pregnancy award-winner. Why? This pair offer comfortable support for all three trimesters thanks to a stretchy belly panel and built-in back support. We also love the buttery-soft performance fabric and the fact that they’re seam-free.
- Belly support band
- X-shaped back support
- Made from soft and breathable materials
- The fit runs small
H&M is another great place to find affordable maternity workout clothes. Case in point: These super-stylish joggers that would work well for yoga, pilates or other low-impact activities. Crafted from an organic cotton-polyester blend that’s lightweight and breathable, the joggers feature a wide jersey belly band for extra coverage. Plus, the neutral color and tapered ankles add to the cool, athletic look.
- Lightweight and breathable fabrics
- Wide waist panel
- Features side pockets
- Some find that the hips and belly band can be a bit too tight
Maternity Boot Cut Yoga Pants
If you’re looking for cute workout clothes that will fit your bump at all stages, you’ve come to the right place. These maternity yoga pants feature Motherhood’s exclusive stretch stomach panel that promises to grow with you. Plus, the flattering boot-cut style can be dressed up or down depending on your needs.
- Ideal for exercise and leisure
- Suitable for all stages of pregnancy
- Fabric is a bit on the thin side
Maternity & Postpartum Support Leggings
These awesome leggings are designed to support you during both pregnancy and the postpartum stage. The ultra-high waist fully covers your bump, but if you prefer a little less compression simply fold them down to wear them as an under-bump style. Bonus: This pair is available with or without a pocket.
- Features a stretchy waist panel
- Available in two distinct styles
- Has a light-compression design
- May not be stretchy enough for the later stages of pregnancy
Affordable Maternity Crop Leggings
Looking for all the features you’ll find on premium brands at half the price? Check out these maternity leggings from Old Navy. The polyester-spandex blend offers light, breathable support with a super-soft feel, while the brand’s Go Dry technology prevents moisture buildup and odor. Available in three colors with sizing from XS to XXL.
- Elastic full-panel waistband for comfort
- Breathable and lightweight materials
- Gusseted design makes it easier to move
- Not fully opaque
Maternity Legging with Pockets
Petite mamas will appreciate these cool, cropped leggings from Pact. Made from breathable, organic cotton and elastane, the leggings have a stretchy, over-belly waistband for superior comfort. Plus, this pair features two side pockets to stash your phone, card or keys.
- Leggings hold shape through every trimester
- Two side pockets
- Made from breathable and organic cotton
- Some say the waistband was smaller than expected
High-Waisted maternity legging
Leggings that offer belly support? Yes, please! Many reviewers indicate these supportive leggings truly do take some of the burden off your growing belly, with the brand’s patented support belly support and wonderweave technology. They can be worn over or under your bump, depending on what feels best for you. Available in black, steel or navy in sizing from small to extra-large.
- Soft and breathable wonderweave material
- Can be worn over or under your bump
- Flattering ankle length fit
- Some customers say these leggings sag at the crotch
- Not available in a shorter length
High-Rise Leggings with Pockets
Okay, so technically, this pair of leggings is not designed for pregnancy—but our in-house team of experts (aka The Bump editors) can confirm that this pair will do the trick through all three trimesters and beyond. The moisture-wicking fabric features Lycra for added stretch, a high over-belly waistband and side pockets.
- Light and breathable design
- Features side drop-in pockets
- Ideal for low-impact workouts
- Not designed for pregnancy
- High price point
Why not add a pair of maternity athletic shorts to the mix? Shorts are a great option for the summer months or for women that tend to run hot during sweaty gym sessions. From high-performance running shorts to trendy biker styles, here you’ll find some killer options to add to your pregnancy workout clothes collection.
Maternity Running Shorts
On the hunt for maternity athletic shorts? These breathable shorts have stretchy, moisture-wicking tech fabric, to thoughtfully move with you during yoga, your run or any activity in between. Plus, the wide elastic waistband sits just below the belly for added comfort.
- Made from smooth and breathable fabrics
- Wide and elasticized waistband
- Sizing runs large
Maternity Bike Short
Bike shorts are totally trending, and this sporty pair has an over-belly waistband that can be folded up or down. Plus, the silky-soft jersey fabric hugs your curves without feeling too restrictive. Pair them with an oversized sweatshirt for a look that works at the gym and on the go. Available in petite and plus-sizes.
- Wide double fabric waist panel
- Silky spandex-jersey mix fabric
- Inclusive size options
- Fabric is not totally opaque on everyone
Plus-size Maternity Bike Shorts
Who says curvy moms can’t wear bike shorts? Not us. This super-versatile pair from Torrid offers gentle support thanks to a stretched waistband and a ruched side. Plus, the shorts are designed to prevent chafing and come in sizes 00 to 6X. What’s not to love?
- Features a stretch waistband
- Designed to prevent chafing
- Affordable price point
- Fabric may shrink in the dryer
And we’d be remiss not to include H&M maternity workout shorts, considering how much pregnant mamas love the affordable brand. This pair is made from a lightweight cotton blend that's perfect for lounging or moving. Plus, it features a wide jersey panel and drawstring waistband.
- Side pockets
- Available in three colors
- Lightweight cotton blend
- Sizes runs small