The Best Maternity Workout Clothes, According to Real Moms
Your life doesn’t stop when you’re pregnant, and neither should your workouts. Once you get over the initial exhausted hump and roll into the high-energy second trimester, there are tons of excellent reasons to hit the gym or pool. But to get started, you might find you need some new maternity workout clothes now that you’re rocking a new bump.
This investment in yourself (and your wardrobe) is totally worth it. The US Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) recommends getting in 150 minutes every week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity during pregnancy. And mega benefits—such as reduced risk of gestational diabetes, c-sections and preeclampsia, not to mention improved physical and psychological well-being—make exercise a no-brainer. Of course, you want to be comfortable and still look good (hey, we hear you). No sweat! Here are our picks for the best maternity workout clothes from fitness experts and moms alike.
In this article:
Do you really need maternity workout clothes?
Best places to buy maternity workout clothes
Maternity sports bras
Maternity workout tops
Maternity workout leggings and pants
Maternity workout shorts
If you’re like most expectant moms, much of your pregnancy is spent buying things for baby—nursery furniture, clothes, diapers and more… So you may not want to spend extra cash on maternity workout clothes you’ll only wear for a few months. And sure, in the first trimester, you can easily get away with rolling waist bands under your belly and stretching out tees instead of investing in actual maternity activewear. But around the 20-week mark, that belly is going to start showing and such measures can become wildly uncomfortable.
Plus, to the surprise of many new moms, it’s not just for a few months of wear. “In hindsight, had I known I’d wear maternity workout clothes after delivery, I’d have spent more,” says Olivia Koszuta, a Denver mom who took spin classes twice weekly throughout her pregnancy. “I was still wearing Old Navy maternity leggings at three months out. Pants just don’t fit normally for a while. It probably took another three months for my belly to go down.”
Every pregnancy is different. With this in mind, it’s important to assess the changes your body is experiencing and choose maternity activewear that suits your individual needs and lifestyle. When in doubt, opt for maternity workout clothes designed to ease discomfort during sweat sessions—whether that means maternity sports bras and swim gear with added bust support, stretchier tees and tanks for growing bellies or maternity yoga pants with over-the-belly waists.
The best maternity workout clothes are “designed to support and flatter an expectant mom’s bump,” says Melanie Darnell, a Los Angeles maternity fitness trainer and mom of three who founded Fitmomma Bootcamp. “You’ll get the extra support and length you need. Plus, feeling comfortable in your maternity workout clothes can be the confidence boost you need to get to the gym.” Koszuta agrees: “It was so nice hearing the girls in spin class say I looked cute in my fitness gear,” she says.
Good news: You don’t need to buy a ton of items or spend a fortune on maternity workout clothes—just a few key items will do the trick. Here’s a breakdown of stores to browse and types of exercise clothing you may want to consider—plus, a few favorite items to snatch up.
If you’re expecting and on the hunt for maternity activewear, it’s worth popping into a few stores to see what brands you like best. You don’t have to break the bank stuffing your closet with maternity workout clothes, but a few key pieces (like an excellent maternity sports bra and some cute maternity yoga pants) can make a dramatic difference in how comfortable you are during your workouts—and how great you feel after them. And we’d say anything that gets you to the gym a bit more often is a sound investment. Ready to start shopping? Check out five of our favorite places to buy cute maternity workout clothes that really go the distance.
• Girlfriend Collective: This maternity workout clothing line is small but mighty. The capsule collection includes seamless leggings, bike shorts and super-stretchy sports bras. Each item is made from moisture-wicking, UPF 50+ recycled materials. Plus, the activewear comes in tons of colors and is available in sizes XXS to 6XL.
• Kindred Bravely: This Instagram-favorite maternity and postpartum brand is known for its ultra-soft fabrics that hold their shape and mold to your body. Kindred Bravely nursing bras are a thing of legend; invest in one of the brand’s sports bras and it’ll last long after baby is born.
• Beyond Yoga: This brand has a cult-following—and with good reason. Beyond Yoga’s signature Space Dye fabric boasts a four-way stretch, UV protection and unbeatable softness. The online store has a great range of tank tops, T-shirts, joggers and leggings to suit every type of activity.
• Motherhood Maternity: This classic maternity brand also carries some super-cute maternity workout clothes. If you want to source all your pregnancy clothing essentials in one spot, Motherhood Maternity is your best bet.
• Old Navy: If you’re on a tight budget (or just want to score a sporty look for less), Old Navy should be your first stop. This online store has a wide variety of affordable activewear, from compression leggings to performance tees, they have kickass pregnancy workout clothes that won’t break the bank.
One major body change many pregnant women experience is a rapidly growing bust. It’s often one of the first changes to cause discomfort, resulting in that familiar red ring that surfaces below the breasts when you’re wearing a bra that’s too small. This body change makes a well-fitting pregnancy sports bra (or two!) an essential component of your maternity workout clothes collection.
As early as six weeks into pregnancy, breasts can start to increase in size. They’ll continue to grow throughout pregnancy—in fact, many women go up one to two cup sizes. If you’re well endowed to begin with, workouts (and daily activities) can quickly become uncomfortable without a maternity sports bra. In fact, one of the first moves for Calli De La Haye, a certified prenatal yoga instructor who co-founded Kalimukti Yoga, was to ditch all underwire designs and switch to a more comfy, forgiving style. Keep reading to discover some top-rated maternity sports bras.
Designed with active moms in mind, this maternity sports bra provides support and coverage as your chest grows during pregnancy and easy access for nursing after. Made from soft, moisture-wicking material, this pick is perfect for low-impact activities like yoga, hiking or running errands around town. Plus, it comes in regular and busty sizes. Bonus: Get 20 percent off sitewide with code 20KB.
- Nursing clips for convenience
- Stretchy fabric
- Features a pullover racerback style
- Has the potential to stretch out
Next up is a pick from Bravado Designs—a Best of Pregnancy award-winning brand. This maternity sports bra is underwire-free and has nursing clips for prenatal and postnatal wear. Better yet, it’s made from a super breathable fabric to keep you cool. (Because pregnancy can get pretty sweaty.)
- Features adjustable, convertible straps
- With removable foam cups
- Fabric has potential to make skin itch
For moms looking for comfy pregnancy activewear, this maternity sports bra is a great pick. It’s made from a seamless ribbed material that won’t irritate sensitive skin, and has a beautiful vintage look. And at under $30, it’s a great pick for a mom-to-be on a budget.
- Made from a seamless ribbed material
- Has an attractive vintage look
- Affordable price tag
- Cold wash only
If you’re looking for pregnancy workout clothes that pull double duty as loungewear, this sports bra is a perfect pick. The comfy ribbed fabric, elastic waistband and easy pullover style mean it will likely see as much action hanging out at home as it will at the gym.
- Features a racerback style
- Designed with seamless rib fabric
- Has adjustable shoulder straps
- Some reviewers say that it doesn't provide enough coverage
If you need extra support, this maternity sports bra minimizes bounce, reduces friction and wicks away moisture. It’s also available in sizes up to 40K, making it a great pick for curvy moms.
- Features flexi-wire support to minimize bounce during exercise
- Super smooth material
- Designed with J-hook conversion for support
- Some reviewers say that it doesn't provide as much coverage as they expected
Want a maternity sports bra that’s supportive and practical, yet super stylish? This design features a sporty color-block mesh design with removable pads and easy-to-use clips for nursing postpartum.
- Features a stylish and practical design
- Has easy-to-use clips and removable pads
- Ideal for all stages of pregnancy
- Only available in one color
Designed for pregnancy and postpartum, this maternity sports bra checks every box in terms of style and function. The snug fit offers the right level of support, while the elasticated underbust band keeps everything in place (without digging in). Bonus features include pill-resistant fabric, removable cups and clip-down nursing panels. Oh, and did we mention that this pick is available in sizes XS to 3X?
- Suitable for all stages of pregnancy
- Made from a soft and stretchy fabric
- Racerback style
- Check out the size guide before purchasing
As you search for the best maternity workout clothes, keep your eyes peeled for some solid workout tops. You’re looking for a shirt made in comfortable, stretchy fabrics that won’t ride up on your belly. “You want tanks and tees that provide the flexibility for you to grow through your trimesters,” says Teri Lang Patterson, a certified fitness instructor in South Dakota and new mom.
Looking for a performance tee to keep you comfortable and dry? This maternity workout top is made from breathable jersey fabric with wicking technology, so you won’t be left feeling sticky or sweaty. Better yet, it comes in six cute colors.
- Breathable and lightweight
- Features moisture wicking designed to keep skin dry
- Made from breathable jersey fabric
- Some reviewers say that the silhouette isn't as flattering as they expected it to be
This simple, sleeveless tank top is a solid option. It’s made from an ultra-soft, breathable fabric with ruched sides to hug your growing curves. Plus, it’s free from annoying, itchy tags that can irritate sensitive skin during pregnancy. You'll be able to wear this pick all-week-long, from morning workouts to lazy Sundays on the couch.
- Soft and breathable fit
- Sleeveless design
- Stretchy and suitable for all stages of pregnancy
- Has the potential to stretch out
If you need pregnancy workout clothes for cold weather, check out this cozy sweatshirt. Made from 100 percent cotton, the relaxed crossover style fits through every stage of pregnancy. Once baby is born, it lifts at the front for easy nursing access.
- Made from 100% cotton for comfort
- Features a crew neckline
- Easy to wear
- Can't be put in the tumble dryer
Next up is a hardworking tank top from Good American, the clothing brand created by Khloe Kardashian. The seam-free top is made from a four-way stretch fabric, meaning it’s supportive without being too restrictive.
- Adjustable length
- Soft and breathable material
- Features ruched sides
- Designed for those in their 1st or 2nd trimester
Searching for plus-size maternity workout clothes? Head straight to Torrid. This online store has great pregnancy staples, including this soft, stretchy T-shirt. We love the flattering scoop neck and extended length that won’t ride up as you work out. Available in sizes M to 6X.
- Made from super soft fabrics
- Features a T-shirt silhouette
- Stylish look
- Some reviewers say that the length is longer than expected
If you want to inject some color into your maternity workout clothes, look no further than this versatile tank that comes in four colors. The sporty racerback silhouette is right on-trend and the fabric is super-soft. Wear it alone for hot and sweaty workouts or use it as a base layer in the winter months. The best bit? Beyond Yoga is a Best of Pregnancy award winner, so you know that high quality is guaranteed!
- Made in the USA
- Features a racerback design
- Ideal for all stages of pregnancy
- Machine wash cold
- Features a built-in bra
The best maternity workout clothes are comfy enough to wear even when you’re not exercising. This cozy French terry cloth hoodie will keep you warm whether you’re active outdoors or lounging around at home post-workout.
- A comfortable and relaxed fit
- Features an adjustable drawcord
- Made from high-quality materials
- May not be ideal for those in the later months of pregnancy
No wardrobe of maternity workout clothes is complete without a few pairs of go-to bottoms. In terms of maternity workout pants, it’s all about having an easily expandable, comfy waist that won’t distract you from your chosen exercise. The moms we spoke with all like over-the-belly style leggings and sweatpants. “You can get maternity pants with elastic around the belly, but you get to a point where even those slide off,” Koszuta says. “That won’t happen with leggings that pull over your belly,” she continues. Looking for a good pair of maternity yoga pants? Trust us, the over-the-belly style will serve you well here too.
Blanqi leggings are a firm favorite at The Bump, so much so that they won a Best of Pregnancy award in 2021. Why? This pair offer comfortable support for all three trimesters thanks to a seam-free belly panel and built-in back support.
- Equipped with a belly support band
- X-shaped back support
- Made from soft and breathable materials
- The fit runs small
- Opaque finish
H&M is another great place to find affordable maternity workout clothes. Case in point: These super-stylish joggers that would work well for yoga, pilates or other low-impact activities. Crafted from an organic cotton-polyester blend that’s lightweight and breathable, the joggers feature a wide jersey belly band for extra coverage. Plus, the neutral color and tapered ankles add to the cool, athletic look.
- Has lightweight and breathable fabrics
- Wide waist panel for better fit over tummy
- Features side pockets
- Some find that the hips and belly band can be a bit too tight
If you’re looking for cute workout clothes that will fit your bump at all stages, you’ve come to the right place. These maternity yoga pants feature Motherhood’s exclusive stretch stomach panel that promises to grow with you. Plus, the flattering boot-cut style can be dressed up or down depending on your needs.
- Ideal for exercise and leisure
- Suitable for all stages of pregnancy
- Machine-washable for convenience
- Fabric is a bit on the thin side
These awesome leggings are designed to support you during both pregnancy and the postpartum stage. The ultra-high waist fully covers your bump, but if you prefer a little less compression simply fold them down to wear them as an under-bump style. Bonus: This pair is available with or without a pocket.
- Features a stretchy waist panel
- Available in two distinct styles
- Has a light-compression design
- May not be stretchy enough for the later stages of pregnancy
The moms we spoke with, as well as some instructors, swear by Old Navy’s affordable maternity leggings, which come in different weights, colors and patterns.
- Has an elastic full-panel waistband for comfort
- Made from breathable and lightweight materials
- Gusseted design makes it easier to move
- Not fully opaque
Petite mamas will appreciate these cool, cropped leggings from Pact. Made from breathable, organic cotton and elastane, the leggings have a fitted waistband. Plus, this pair features two side pockets to stash your phone, card or keys.
- Leggings designed to hold shape through every trimester
- Features a fitted waistband
- Made from breathable and organic cotton
- Some say the waistband was smaller than expected
Fabletics PureLuxe fabric is buttery soft, chafe-free and super stretchy, allowing you a full range of motion while you workout. The maternity workout clothing basic is finished with a glowing shine and comes in inclusive sizes XXS to 4X. You can subscribe to Fabletics for exclusive savings or make a one time purchase of these awesome leggings.
- Made from soft and breathable material
- Features all-way stretch
- Doesn't feature pockets
- Not available in a shorter length
Okay, so technically, this pair of leggings is not designed for pregnancy—but our in-house team of experts (AKA The Bump editors) can confirm that this pair will do the trick through all three trimesters, and beyond. The moisture-wicking fabric features Lycra for added stretch, a high over-belly waistband and side pockets.
- Light and breathable design
- Features side drop-in pockets
- Ideal for low-impact workouts
- May not be as durable as other comparable products
Why not add a pair of maternity athletic shorts to the mix? Shorts are a great option for the summer months or for women that tend to run hot during sweaty gym sessions. From high-performance running shorts to trendy biker styles, here you’ll find some killer options to add to your pregnancy workout clothes collection.
On the hunt for maternity athletic shorts? These breathable shorts have stretchy, moisture-wicking tech fabric, to thoughtfully move with you during yoga, your run or any activity in between. Plus, the wide elastic waistband sits just below the belly for added comfort.
- Made from smooth and breathable fabrics
- Wide and elasticized waistband
- Sizing runs large
Bike shorts are totally trending, and this sporty pair has an over-belly waistband that makes them easy to wear all the way into your ninth month. Pair them with an oversized sweatshirt for a look that works at the gym and on the go. Available in sizes XXS to 6XL.
- Has a lightweight and flexible fit
- Super soft texture
- Free from harmful substances
- Fabric is not the most durable
Who says pregnant women can’t wear bike shorts? Not us. This super-versatile pair from Torrid offers gentle support thanks to a stretched waistband and a ruched side. Plus, the shorts are designed to prevent chafing. What’s not to love?
- Features a stretch waistband
- Designed to prevent chafing
- Has a comfortable, pull-on style
- Fabric may shrink in the dryer
And we’d be remiss not to include H&M maternity workout shorts, considering how much pregnant mamas love the affordable brand. This pair is made from a lightweight cotton blend that's perfect for lounging or moving. Plus, it features a wide jersey panel and drawstring waistband.
- Made from lightweight cotton blend
- Side pockets
- Available in three colors
- Size runs small for some